Learning to weld

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Learning to weld

Being a hands-on guy I've always wished I knew how to weld. The time to start learning has come.

My Godfather lives on a few acres out in the country about half an hour from my place in Ottawa. He was in the Canadian Coast Guard for several years, mainly doing engine room work, and has been welding for a long time. His hobby these days runs to old cars like his latest, a 1929 Dodge Brothers Victory Six.

He does a lot of his welding on a very simple 120V MIG/FCAW welder, and he gave me some tips and some old steel to practice flux core welds on. Predictably, my first welds were not very good. But with a little practice I've improved a little bit.

I've since purchased the same welder and have set up in a corner of the garage.

I'll keep practicing... one of these days I might even get good enough to make (or fix) something!

2012 Rockwood Ultra-Lite 2701SS > ProPride 3P 1400 > 2013 F150 FX4 Supercrew Ecoboost
    www.restcure.ca

illegitimi non carborundum

learning to weld is a skill worth having .... I learned from an instructor in a prison school where I once worked .... I have a Lincoln Buzz Box that I don't use often but when the need arises, it really comes in handy
    Last edited by JEBar; 11-04-2017, 12:38 AM.
    Jim
    '06 SunnyBrook Titan 34BWKS
    '07 Freightliner Sportchassis
    '11 Chevy Silverado 1500
    '04 Sea Pro 180DC
    '17 Elio reserved

Comment

Two skills I would LOVE to develop.... welding and woodworking. ----- Some day....
      Jeff, Julie, Cameron, & Taylor Lockhart - Wauconda, IL

2012 F-250 FX4 6.7 Powerstroke Diesel Lariat
      2011 Jayco 365BHS 5'er

"Cram-A-Lot Inn"
      sigpic

Visit our family online - www.thelockharts.com
      Find us / "friend" us on social websites - Facebook

Comment

I have been working with wood in some form or other since I was a teenager. I'm no cabinetmaker but I do have some experience and a fairly well equipped basement shop which I share with Dawn and her lathe (which I have yet to try). Most of my work is more carpentry (winter tire shelves, basement storage shelves and kayak racks) but there's small fine work for the model airplane hobby too.

2012 Rockwood Ultra-Lite 2701SS > ProPride 3P 1400 > 2013 F150 FX4 Supercrew Ecoboost
        www.restcure.ca

Comment

at one time I thought I had an interest in wood working .... I bought a bunch of equipment and spent a good deal of time reading and looking at videos .... my interest bottomed out quickly when my left thumb came into contact with a table saw blade .... a while after that I moved to welding
          Jim
          '11 Chevy Silverado 1500
          '04 Sea Pro 180DC
          '17 Elio reserved

Comment

Originally posted by JEBar View Post
            at one time I thought I had an interest in wood working .... I bought a bunch of equipment and spent a good deal of time reading and looking at videos .... my interest bottomed out quickly when my left thumb came into contact with a table saw blade .... a while after that I moved to welding
            Yikes! The saws I use most often in the shop are the band saw and the mitre saw. I have a healthy respect for both but the table saw is a whole other order of magnitude.

Have you seen the SawStop?

I saw a demo at Lee Valley Tools. A hot dog was run into the blade, there was an almighty BANG, and the blade disappeared. Amazing stuff. Wish I could afford one!

www.restcure.ca

Comment

mine was a Craftsman ... that split second pretty well killed my budding interest in wood working
              Jim
              '11 Chevy Silverado 1500
              '04 Sea Pro 180DC
              '17 Elio reserved

Comment

Working...
              X