Fixed Blade Fillet Knife

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fixed Blade Fillet Knife

over the years I've owned/used several different brands of fixed blade fillet knives .... I use them far more in food preparation than for filleting fish .... the best one I've ever used is a Schrade 168UH Uncle Henry Walleye Fillet Knife .... mine is something over 30 years old and was made in the USA prior to Schrade going out of business .... I understand that they are now produced by Taylor Brands LLC, a US company, manufacturing the knife in China .... in the link above I noted that this knife still carries a 5 star rating from folks who have purchased the knife .... if the quality remains as it was with my knife, at just over $17 it is a bargain .... I just ordered two that I plan to give to our sons and I'm anxious to see the new generation

Jim
    Jim
    '06 SunnyBrook Titan 34BWKS
    '07 Freightliner Sportchassis
    '11 Chevy Silverado 1500
    '04 Sea Pro 180DC
    '17 Elio reserved

update:

after reading reviews pointing out the fact that the new generation of 167UH knives is lighter weight with a thinner handle and blade I became a bit apprehensive about ordering them for our sons .... as noted, in the 80's I ordered one with a 7.5" blade that has been an exceptional knife ....10 years so later I broke a couple of inches off of the end of the blade .... I sharpened it to where it became a 5.5" knife and kept on using it ... the new knives still have the same lifetime warranty, which to me speaks volumes.... I did note that the out of the box sharpness isn't what it once was but it didn't take much work to bring it to a shaving sharpness .... based on what I've seen so far, I don't believe that there is a better fixed blade fillet knife of this size for the price

Jim
    Jim
    '11 Chevy Silverado 1500
    '04 Sea Pro 180DC
    '17 Elio reserved

Comment

You might want to look at Dexter Russell knives. I have seen a lot of them in use on charter boats. My nephew has an 8" heavy Dexter Russell fillet knife that has worked over literally hundreds of fish from the Gulf of Mexico and the North Pacific and shows very little wear. His knife actually holds up better filleting the rough scaled bottom fish out of the gulf than some of the electrics that others use.

John
      LaPorte, Colorado
      2003 F250 Superduty 6.0 Diesel, Auto - 2004 Sunnybrook Solanta 2816 - 2004 Brakesmart - 2006 Hensley Arrow

To be Old and Wise, You Must First be Young and Stupid!

Don't do something permanently stupid just because you're temporarily upset!

Comment

I've seen them on boats and they do carry a good reputation .... their 8" Fillet Knife is a size and weight that would make it a very handy knife .... I wish I was able to catch enough fish to where I'd need a knife to exclusively fillet fish but that has only happened once ..

Jim
        Jim
        '11 Chevy Silverado 1500
        '04 Sea Pro 180DC
        '17 Elio reserved

Comment

I have always used the filet knifes from the sporting goods.
          Wooden handle and some with rubber.
          My nephew in Texas only uses an electric knife.
          Not sure how he keeps from being electrocuted.

Just bought one of these at a yard sale because I didn't have one.
          Never seen one before either. I have no plans to use it, just add to collection.

Vintage Townsend Fish Skinner Scaler 1950's Original Box Paperwork | eBay
          Lee & Mamie http://www.youtube.com/v/4FrGxO2Fn_Msigpic
          Buy American, The Job You Save May Be Your Own
          04 - 2500 Chevy CC Silverado - D/A
          07 - Tahoe LTZ w/tow package,
          16K Pullrite Super Slide
          2006 Excel 30RSO
          All Made In the U.S.A.

Comment

this afternoon I used the new Uncle Henry fillet knife for the first time .... no not to fillet fish, dang it .... I used it to carve a pork loin into 2" thick chops .... sorry, didn't take any pictures until they were grilled and on the table .... I was impressed with how easily it sliced the loin .... this knife will be added to my collection of knives that I use often

Jim
            Attached Files
            Jim
            '11 Chevy Silverado 1500
            '04 Sea Pro 180DC
            '17 Elio reserved

Comment

UPDATE :

back on July 19, 2014 I ordered the Uncle Henry (Schrade) fillet knife in this link .... I use the Uncle Henry knives shown below for food prep only .... the new one has been used very little since .... in the first picture, it is easy to see that the blade in the new one (on top) is much thinner than the older one shown in the bottom picture .... when they say it has a flexible fillet blade, that would be a considerable understatement .... the second picture shows the bend in the blade when it is under pressure .... such flexibility made the knife difficult to use and sharpen .... today I used a Dremel type tool to shorten (picture 3) and reshape (pictures 4 & 5) blade .... the last picture shows both knives, new one on top .... there is little doubt that it will now see a great deal more use
              Jim
              '11 Chevy Silverado 1500
              '04 Sea Pro 180DC
              '17 Elio reserved

Comment

Working...
              X