Buck 119

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Buck 119

right now I have 3 food prep knives that consider to mine .... two are Uncle Henry fillet knives and other is a Buck 110 Folding Hunter .... I keep them razor sharp and Maureen prefers not to use them .... a couple of years ago I decided I want to add a larger Butcher Knife to my collection but I simply never got around to it .... I doubt that it will come as a surprise to most folks that I've pretty much decided to stay with the Buck line .... unfortunately, in looking at the cutlery they offer, I can't find one I am interested in .... in falling back to what I'm comfortable with, I'm leaning to ordering one of their Customizable 119 Special Editions .... one option that I find intriguing it for making the blade out of S30V steel .... according to Buck ===> This advanced steel, S30V, contains carbon as well as high amounts of Chromium, Molybdenum and Vanadium. This steel combines fantastic edge retention and high ductility combined with corrosion resistance. Double-tempered - it can be hardened to a Rockwell hardness of Rc 59.5-61. However, it is difficult to resharpen yourself, but we do offer sharpening service for a nominal fee .... in addition, they offer 119 blades (regardless of metal) to come with grooves .... I couldn't help but wonder if the grooves were decoration or if they have a function .... I contacted Buck and learned ====> Its a blood groove. So when you are skinning an animal, the blade doesnt suction cup. .... when I mentioned that I've used a Buck 110 folding hunter since the second year they were in production and have never had that problem, their response ===> We've never had it reported with a 110 .... that leads me to believe they have had a sufficient number of complaints for them to offer it as an option ... comments from folks with knowledge of these things would be appreciated
    Jim
    '06 SunnyBrook Titan 34BWKS
    '07 Freightliner Sportchassis
    '11 Chevy Silverado 1500
    '04 Sea Pro 180DC
    '17 Elio reserved

the price of the model 119 with S30V steel mentioned above is priced in the neighborhood of $170 and will take a month or more to get .... ordered from Amazon $125 on price and will arrive in a couple of days ... I can already tell I'm not going to be able to resist putting one on order .... they also have a very similar one for $74
    Jim
    '11 Chevy Silverado 1500
    '04 Sea Pro 180DC
    '17 Elio reserved

Comment

just curious, does anyone use a hunting style knife (like the Buck 119, link with picture above) as a kitchen knife
      Jim
      '11 Chevy Silverado 1500
      '04 Sea Pro 180DC
      '17 Elio reserved

Comment

I have an old restaurant supply house chefs knife that I use in the kitchen. It's simple carbon steel and 5 or so licks across a knife steel and it will shave. One head of lettuce later it needs the steel again. The point is field knives need to hold an edge but kitchen knives need to be quick to sharpen. At least that is the principle design consideration for field and kitchen knives. However, it's not a law so I use my field knives all the time on fish.

chrome added to steel makes a blade hold an edge. But it fights back come time to sharpen it. Diamond is the best way to get the edge back. The king of chrome steel is D2. A knife made from D2 will skin a deer and still shave.
        2016 Jayco Pinnacle 36 RBTS
        2016 F350 DRW, Lariat
        B and W Companion hitch

...of all the liars among mankind, the fisherman is the most trustworthy. ~William Sherwood Fox, Silken Lines and Silver Hooks, 1954

Comment

fascinating .... as you'd probably expect, I'd never heard of D2 steel .... Googled It and found this article in which its clear that both D2 and S30V are both highly praised ....
          Jim
          '11 Chevy Silverado 1500
          '04 Sea Pro 180DC
          '17 Elio reserved

Comment

my new Buck 119 with an S30V steel blade arrived today .... I purchased it from Amazon at the link above .... my initial impression is very favorable .... fit, finish, general appearance, sheath are all excellent .... I am strongly considering ordering one for each of our sons for Christmas .... the blade is very sharp but not smooth shaving sharp .... I plan to spend some time fine honing it tomorrow so as to get a feel for working with the S30V steel
            Last edited by JEBar; 07-17-2018, 04:44 PM.
            Jim
            '11 Chevy Silverado 1500
            '04 Sea Pro 180DC
            '17 Elio reserved

Comment

after posting the above comment, I worked with the 119 on a barber razor strap for a few minutes .... the edge is now smooth shaving sharp .... I don't anticipate any more work with the edge until it has been in use for a while
              Jim
              '11 Chevy Silverado 1500
              '04 Sea Pro 180DC
              '17 Elio reserved

Comment

7-17-18 .... first cut .... used to help process a large pork loin .... this type of thing was a prime motivator in my desire to purchase a 119 for use in food prep .... it really performed well
                Jim
                '11 Chevy Silverado 1500
                '04 Sea Pro 180DC
                '17 Elio reserved

Comment

it looking at the 119 I was surprised to see that it appears to be one of their 75th Anniversary models and another mark clearly states the blade is made from S30V steel .... as a side note, after playing with it a while this morning I have determined that it can be sharpened using our diamond covered stones .... also it is very hard indeed and will take a while to sharpen .... the sharpening angle is much different than I'm used to, it will take a while adjust the angle I'm used to holding the knife
                  Jim
                  '11 Chevy Silverado 1500
                  '04 Sea Pro 180DC
                  '17 Elio reserved

Comment

We're in Buck Knife area...even one of the former governors had a pocket watch with a small Buck Knife as the fob.
                    Z
                    Dan & Zerelda Hammer
                    Pensacola, FL
                    SB 2006 - 34 BWKS
                    2016 Dodge Diesel - 3500

Comment

in 1964 Buck introduced their 110 Folding Hunter .... I graduated from High School in 1965 .... I bought a 110 as my graduation gift to myself .... since then there has never been a single second I didn't own at least one and most of the time have owned more than one .... right now I have one in a sheath on my belt and a smaller Buck 55 in my pocket ....
                      Jim
                      '11 Chevy Silverado 1500
                      '04 Sea Pro 180DC
                      '17 Elio reserved

Comment

as noted in the opening post, per Buck on their S30V steel blades : However, it is difficult to resharpen yourself, but we do offer sharpening service for a nominal fee

to make it clear, when the 119 arrived, it was shaving sharp but I didn't like the grind marks left from it being sharpened at the factory (picture 1) .... so, even though it didn't need to be sharpened to enhance performance, I decided to do so to enhance appearance .... the last 4 pictures show the results .... using the Smith's 8-Inch Diamond Tri-Hone Bench Stone discussed in this thread it took less than 15 minutes to correct the appearance and bring it to a smooth shaving sharpness .... to me this proves the recommendation from Mike (eldermike) earlier in this thread when he stated about S30V steel : it fights back come time to sharpen it. Diamond is the best way to get the edge back. based on this experience .... I'm most relieved to no longer have any concerns related to being able to keep it sharp .... my question has moved on from that point to wondering how long it will hold the edge before needing to be resharpened
                        Last edited by JEBar; 07-19-2018, 07:20 PM.
                        Jim
                        '11 Chevy Silverado 1500
                        '04 Sea Pro 180DC
                        '17 Elio reserved

Comment

the main reason I stopped carrying a fixed blade hunting knife was it usually managed to get in the way when in a vehicle, deer stand or at other times as well .... its always possible that I may use the 119 as a hunting knife, I still believe its major use will be in food prep .... while I don't know if I will carry it in a sheath at home, I can see doing so while cooking when we are camping .... accordingly, I find thisCustom Leather Cross Draw Knife Sheath for a Buck 119 to be very interesting .... it has high ratings for quality of materials and construction
                          Jim
                          '11 Chevy Silverado 1500
                          '04 Sea Pro 180DC
                          '17 Elio reserved

Comment

UPDATE ---- I ordered one of the brown, Custom Leather Cross Draw Knife Sheath for a Buck 119 made by Carl Thomas shown in the link above .... it is made out of 10 ounce buffalo leather .... as advertised, it is well made and looks great .... I can see it coming in very handy with its cross draw design .... the black sheath is the one that came with the 119 from Buck
                            Last edited by JEBar; 08-12-2018, 04:00 AM.
                            Jim
                            '11 Chevy Silverado 1500
                            '04 Sea Pro 180DC
                            '17 Elio reserved

Comment

Nice looking piece of leather with what appears to be an example of real craftsmanship. I'm still agonizing over Buck's decision to drop their original sheath design/style for their knives.
                              Clayton & Gayle
                              2007 SB Mobile Scout/Titan 34BWKS LX, Mor/ryde Suspension & Pin Box
                              2008 F-350 SD Lariat 6.4L PSD, TorqueShift w/Tow Cmd, 3.73 LS, SRW
                              Super Cab, Long Bed, Firestone Ride-Rites & a 20k Reese Pro Hitch

Comment

Working...
                              X