No announcement yet.

Buck 119

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

the aftermarket sheath is made of much thicker leather than the OEM one from Buck .... I guess that's normal enough, because Buck is selling knives and throwing in a sheath to go with it ... if they go to including a top quality sheath, their price will have to go up ..... I tend to believe that they have researched it and from a marketing standpoint, they feel they they will sell more knives by going the way they are now
    Jim
    '06 SunnyBrook Titan 34BWKS
    '07 Freightliner Sportchassis
    '11 Chevy Silverado 1500
    '04 Sea Pro 180DC
    '17 Elio reserved

Comment

Shame one of the bean counters didn't come up with idea of an option to go with the "old" style sheath Buck used for so many years. They were excellent quality, lasting for many years. A little Red Wing Boot Oil now and then helps in the durability as they age.
      Clayton & Gayle
      2007 SB Mobile Scout/Titan 34BWKS LX, Mor/ryde Suspension & Pin Box
      2008 F-350 SD Lariat 6.4L PSD, TorqueShift w/Tow Cmd, 3.73 LS, SRW
      Super Cab, Long Bed, Firestone Ride-Rites & a 20k Reese Pro Hitch

Comment

Originally posted by JEBar View Post
        using the Smith's 8-Inch Diamond Tri-Hone Bench Stone discussed in this thread it took less than 15 minutes to correct the appearance and bring it to a smooth shaving sharpness .... to me this proves the recommendation from Mike (eldermike) earlier in this thread when he stated about S30V steel : it fights back come time to sharpen it. Diamond is the best way to get the edge back. based on this experience .... my question has moved on from that point to wondering how long it will hold the edge before needing to be resharpened
        UPDATE :

kind of like an engineer or designer who can't quit tinkering so as to improve his/her product, I've not been able to stop fine tuning the edge of my 119 .... I've used it several times and at no point has it ever reached the point of needing to have the blade touched up, much less resharpened .... nonetheless, I find I spend time doing so .... as advertised, the metal is very hard and holds its edge extremely well .... I'm now considering (down the line) ordering a 110 Folding Hunter with an S30V steel blade
        Jim
        '11 Chevy Silverado 1500
        '04 Sea Pro 180DC
        '17 Elio reserved

Comment

Try shaving the hair off your arm then you will know if it is truly sharp!

John
          LaPorte, Colorado
          2003 F250 Superduty 6.0 Diesel, Auto - 2004 Sunnybrook Solanta 2816 - 2004 Brakesmart - 2006 Hensley Arrow

To be Old and Wise, You Must First be Young and Stupid!

Don't do something permanently stupid just because you're temporarily upset!

Comment

for me that's pretty much a standard procedure .... consequently, I usually have several bald spots on my left arm ...
            Jim
            '11 Chevy Silverado 1500
            '04 Sea Pro 180DC
            '17 Elio reserved

Comment

we've owned and used the Buck 119 with S30V steel for shown in post 6 in this thread for just under 6 months .... it was still pretty dang sharp but could use a touch-up .... as anticipated, after a bit of work on the Fine Diamond stone in our Smith's 8-Inch Diamond Tri-Hone Bench Stone (discussed with pictures in this thread ) the edge is once again razor sharp .... making no bones about it, its S30V steel is exceptionally hard .... I don't believe that regular sharpening stones (no matter how course) would work with it .... still very pleased with our 119, its truly a fine blade
              Jim
              '11 Chevy Silverado 1500
              '04 Sea Pro 180DC
              '17 Elio reserved

Comment

Working...
              X