Buck Knives Alpha Crosslock Knife Black

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Buck Knives Alpha Crosslock Knife Black

most of us who have hunted and cleaned big game animals have come to value a solid blade with a gut hook .... we've also learned that to thoroughly clean a folding skinning knife can take a good bit of effort .... with those realities in mind, I'm pretty sure I've found the next blade to add to my collection .... specifically a Buck Knives Alpha Crosslock Knife Black .... its most certainly not a fancy knife but the bottom line for me is, its a Buck that's specially designed for the use I have in mind ....
    Jim
    '06 SunnyBrook Titan 34BWKS
    '07 Freightliner Sportchassis
    '11 Chevy Silverado 1500
    '04 Sea Pro 180DC
    '17 Elio reserved

When it comes to hunting / field dressing ... I'm ok w/ dedicated purpose equipment.

Fixed knife w/ gut hook:
    https://www.amazon.com/Gerber-Gator-...ixed+knife+gut
    - As you mentioned... I can't stand trying to clean a folder. Hopefully yours will prove to be the exception.

Bone saw:
    https://www.amazon.com/Gerber-Vital-...nting+bone+saw
    - I love the little hook on the end. Having that allows you to saw quickly without worrying about the saw coming out of the cut and having to reset...
    Jeff, Julie, Cameron, & Taylor Lockhart - Wauconda, IL

2012 F-250 FX4 6.7 Powerstroke Diesel Lariat
    2011 Jayco 365BHS 5'er

"Cram-A-Lot Inn"
    sigpic

Visit our family online - www.thelockharts.com
    Find us / "friend" us on social websites - Facebook

Comment

Gerber is a good brand .... I started out using fixed blade knives for cleaning big game and they did well .... overtime I found that wearing a fixed blade knife got in my way in some hunting stands so I went with a folding knife .... another problem with some of the folding knives I've has was getting them really clean after being used .... by their very nature they have so many small spaces for "stuff" to get into .... agree with the gut hook feature, for me its the only way to go .... the link above to the Buck Alpha addresses both issues
      Last edited by JEBar; 08-31-2018, 06:36 PM.
      Jim
      '06 SunnyBrook Titan 34BWKS
      '07 Freightliner Sportchassis
      '11 Chevy Silverado 1500
      '04 Sea Pro 180DC
      '17 Elio reserved

Comment

Never used or needed a gut hook. Split them from the tail to the ribs, reach in cut the whole gut pile loose clear to the throat where you already severed that right after a clean kill. Roll the whole bundle out and retrieve the heart and Liver. If it's a large animal like an elk you will need to skin it and quarter unless you have vehicle access

You are going to get bloody so man up and take your shirt off and do the job right. All that I can see a gut hook doing is puncturing guts and contaminating your meat.

As far as knives, I prefer a straight blade knife with a drop point with a good sold bolster to keep my hand away from the blade. something you never see on a folding knife.

John
        LaPorte, Colorado
        2003 F250 Superduty 6.0 Diesel, Auto - 2004 Sunnybrook Solanta 2816 - 2004 Brakesmart - 2006 Hensley Arrow

To be Old and Wise, You Must First be Young and Stupid!

Don't do something permanently stupid just because you're temporarily upset!

Comment

Working...
        X