Sleep Apnea (warning, long post)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sleep Apnea (warning, long post)

I've deliberately held off starting this thread for several months .... ten years or so ago I apparently had all they symptoms and underwent a Sleep Apnea test .... the results of that test were negative so as far as I was concerned, I didn't have that problem ... the symptoms continued but since I'd been tested and that test showed I didn't have sleep apnea, I didn't give it a second thought ... my symptoms: loud snoring which I had no doubt existed (even though I never stayed awake and listened to see if it actually snored :dunno I played off as saying my medical test had clearly demonstrated I didn't snore ... in keeping with the Mayberry atmosphere of our forum I can't post the terminology that my family who had experienced trying to sleep in the same build with me chose to respond to my claims of medical clearance ... bottom line, as time went on, I seemed to be tired all the time .... when I would deliver campers, Maureen always wanted to go along ... naturally, I thought that she just wanted to spend every possible second with her very sexy husband, turns out she was worried I'd go to sleep at the wheel during a long day's drive .... guess that her experiences in traveling with me driving cross country had given her an inkling that I needed such help .... looking back, I had gotten to the point that at night I would wake up every 1.5 - 2 hours and I seemed to be tired all the time .... low carb Red Bull had become an almost daily part of my diet ..... went in for the test again in March and this time the results clearly showed severe sleep apnea .... consequently, they put me on a CPAP machine ... can't say that learning to sleep while using this machine has been without issues but bottom line, I now sleep all night, wake up feeling great, don't snore, and can't imagine not using it .... to me a very correct analogy would be not being able to see but refusing to wear glasses/contacts or whatever ... folks, I've learned that sleep apnea ain't no joke .... if left unchecked words like stroke and hear attack come into play ... the link below gives info on symptoms, if they fit, get checked ... I want to meet you personally down the line so if the symptoms fit, please get tested

Jim

Last edited by JEBar; 08-17-2008, 08:21 PM.
    Jim
    '06 SunnyBrook Titan 34BWKS
    '07 Freightliner Sportchassis
    '11 Chevy Silverado 1500
    '04 Sea Pro 180DC
    '17 Elio reserved

Apnea

I went through that test sometime back.
    Have been told that the house can rattle when I start snoring.
    All the way to the front room from the bedroom.

When I took the test it was a strange room where I don't sleep well on the first night at least.

Then they kept waking me up because the sensors kept coming off.
    How is one supposed to sleep when they keep coming in the room all night long?

It didn't work for me and as far as the test, it was worthless as far as I am concerned.
    They should find a better way to hook those things on where you can sleep.
    Lee
    Lee & Mamie http://www.youtube.com/v/4FrGxO2Fn_Msigpic
    Buy American, The Job You Save May Be Your Own
    04 - 2500 Chevy CC Silverado - D/A
    07 - Tahoe LTZ w/tow package,
    16K Pullrite Super Slide
    2006 Excel 30RSO
    All Made In the U.S.A.

Comment

Originally posted by staggerlee View Post
      I went through that test sometime back.
      Have been told that the house can rattle when I start snoring.
      All the way to the front room from the bedroom.

When I took the test it was a strange room where I don't sleep well on the first night at least.

Then they kept waking me up because the sensors kept coming off.
      How is one supposed to sleep when they keep coming in the room all night long?

It didn't work for me and as far as the test, it was worthless as far as I am concerned.
      They should find a better way to hook those things on where you can sleep.
      Lee
      very well understood because that with minor exception describes me on the first test .... that minor exception happened during the night when a sensor on my face came loose ... the nurse/tech (?) came in and trying not to awaken me attempted to reattach it ... bottom line, my all toooooo many years working in DOC apparently kicked in and I awoke to find that I'd (literally) grabbed her wrist and thrown her (in bed with me) .... yep, that's my story and I'm sticking to it .... from that point on, when a lead would come loose the lights came on and she woke me up via loud speaker that she was coming in .... bottom line, if you have the symptoms, don't take a test session like you described be the final answer .... additional note: that incident is apparently still in my medical records because when I went in for the last test, the tech informed me up front that if a lead came loose, they would make sure I was awake prior to coming into the room

Jim
      Jim
      '11 Chevy Silverado 1500
      '04 Sea Pro 180DC
      '17 Elio reserved

Comment

Urge

Originally posted by JEBar View Post
        very well understood because that with minor exception describes me on the first test .... that minor exception happened during the night when a sensor on my face came loose ... the nurse/tech (?) came in and trying not to awaken me attempted to reattach it ... bottom line, my all toooooo many years working in DOC apparently kicked in and I awoke to find that I'd (literally) grabbed her wrist and thrown her (in bed with me) .... yep, that's my story and I'm sticking to it .... from that point on, when a lead would come loose the lights came on and she woke me up via loud speaker that she was coming in .... bottom line, if you have the symptoms, don't take a test session like you described be the final answer .... additional note: that incident is apparently still in my medical records because when I went in for the last test, the tech informed me up front that if a lead came loose, they would make sure I was awake prior to coming into the room

Jim
        Well I must admit that same urge hit me as well.
        I had a very nice looking gal watching me.

The same one kept coming loose on my leg, all night long.
        I do a lot of tossing at night.
        And these soft beds will smother me so I can't use them either.
        I just keep sinking down into them.
        Lee
        16K Pullrite Super Slide
        2006 Excel 30RSO
        All Made In the U.S.A.

Comment

Lee ...

this ain't none of my business BUT based on the fact that you say your night's sleep during the test wasn't typical, don't take that test as the final word .. this sh*t is serious ... please ( we want to visit you folks out there for many years to come ) see your doctor and let him/her know the facts ... additional testing may be in order

jim
          Jim
          '11 Chevy Silverado 1500
          '04 Sea Pro 180DC
          '17 Elio reserved

Comment

I have been on CPAP for 4 years now. What a difference it has made in my quality of life, and Beth's for that matter.
            Ryan, Beth, Alyssa, Maggie the pug & Dexter the destroyer.
            Eatonville WA
            2004 Dodge Ram 3500 Dually 5.9 CTD
            2001 Sunnybrook 31BWFS with optional Bedroom Slide.
            https://www.facebook.com/Magentaman

Comment

I was on a CPAP for 4 years. 4 years ago, I finally had surgery to correct the problem. I can't spell or pronounce what they did but they removed my tonsils, adenoids, uvula and lasered and reduced my turbinate. It was the most painful thing I have ever had even more than being run over by my truck, but it worked.

After 2 weeks of recovery, wishing I would go ahead and die I no longer snore.

The only side effects are I had to re-learn to drink from a bottle and a water fountain. Also had to learn to swallow pills all over again.
              Last edited by norty; 08-18-2008, 12:34 PM. Reason: add info
              2011 Jayco Eagle 351RLTS, MorRyde hitchpin
              06 F350 Lariat PSD CC,LB,SRW, 3.73, EGR delete kit,Timbrens
              16K DrawTite, LineX
              His and Hers Ocean Kayaks, TST TPMS
              Elle and BJ

In the past:
              97 27RKFS SB
              04 30RKFS SB Titan

"Don't let yesterday take up to much of your today." Will Rogers

Comment

Looking Foward

Originally posted by norty View Post
                I was on a CPAP for 4 years. 4 years ago, I finally had surgery to correct the problem. I can't spell or pronounce what they did but they removed my tonsils, adenoids and lasered and reduced my turbinate. It was the most painful thing I have ever had even more than being run over my a truck but it worked.

Well thats certainly something to look forward to.

After 2 weeks of recovery, wishing I would go ahead and die I no longer snore.

The only side effects are I had to re-learn to drink from a bottle and a water fountain. Also had to learn to swallow pills all over again.
                I think I will just continue to snore.
                Its the worst if I go to bed real tired or imbibe to much,
                or is that just enough?
                16K Pullrite Super Slide
                2006 Excel 30RSO
                All Made In the U.S.A.

Comment

Sleep Apnea

I worn a c-pap for several years and then had Surgery. I agreed with Norty, very painfull. But it was worth it for me, I do sleep better now. My wife also has the problem but she is unable to wear the c-pap and won't do the surgery have seeing what I went thru. It tells on your whole body. Buck
                  sigpic
                  Richard and Linda Buchanan
                  2012 Ram 3500 ST DRW
                  2016 Redwood 39MB
                  17.5 Goodyear Tires
                  Disc Brakes
                  TST 507 with flow thru sensors

Comment

DH had that test a couple of years ago and his results were negative but I can't see I believe it. Symptoms are still there

Comment

JEBar,

I have a 12-bed Sleep lab and work in Pulmonary/Critical Care/Sleep Med.. I thank you for your frankness to the Obstructive Sleep Apnea issue. The lack of sleep affects not only alertness, but Cardiac and neurological systems as well.

Most of our referrals come from Spouses that are up at night counting their spouses breathing (or lack thereof) or hitting them from snoring too loud. It is wholly treatable with a CPAP/BiPap machine, Surgery (those with narrow airways) and yes…….weight loss.

By the way….The greatest complaints I get from patients is that they are mad we wake them at 6AM stating that they had their best night’s sleep in a looooooooong time!!

TednCindy
                      2011 F-350 Dually, 6.7 King Ranch
                      2006 Sunnybrook 391k Toy Hauler (sold)
                      2010 Carriage Cameo F37FB3
                      TST TPMS
                      2 Sons, 2 Cats, 1 Great Dane (Not Sold)

"Too many Toys.....Too little Time"

Comment

Best

By the way….The greatest complaints I get from patients is that they are mad we wake them at 6AM stating that they had their best night’s sleep in a looooooooong time!!

Ted,
                        If you were in the room I was, it sure wasn't the best nights sleep.
                        Noises all night, waking you up when they came in the room to reattach.
                        Then trying to go to sleep again knowing someone was watching you.

The pillow even rattled when I flipped over.
                        Guess I should have had a couple of beers before I went in.
                        Lee
                        16K Pullrite Super Slide
                        2006 Excel 30RSO
                        All Made In the U.S.A.

Comment

I did not sleep well with the infra red camera looking at me. Never could sleep in a hospital bed anyhow, but your body can be worn down greatly by sleep apnea.

The CPAP solved my problem with snoring and tiredness but I tried a number of masks and could never find one that was satisfactory.
                          2011 Jayco Eagle 351RLTS, MorRyde hitchpin
                          06 F350 Lariat PSD CC,LB,SRW, 3.73, EGR delete kit,Timbrens
                          16K DrawTite, LineX
                          His and Hers Ocean Kayaks, TST TPMS
                          Elle and BJ

In the past:
                          97 27RKFS SB
                          04 30RKFS SB Titan

"Don't let yesterday take up to much of your today." Will Rogers

Comment

I designed the labs like a hotel room. The techs don't even go in the room. All the controls are done remotely. We have queen size beds. There is no hint of a hospital/medical testing outside of the infared camera. We try to run a "classy" lab. The more comfortable the patient, the more data we can collect and subsequently provide a more exact diagnosis.

TednCindy
                            TST TPMS

Comment

Originally posted by norty View Post
                              I did not sleep well with the infra red camera looking at me. Never could sleep in a hospital bed anyhow, but your body can be worn down greatly by sleep apnea.

The CPAP solved my problem with snoring and tiredness but I tried a number of masks and could never find one that was satisfactory.

Norty,

Try the pillows (nasal masks). We have had great success with them. They have also come out with a Hybrid mask that is a combo full face and nasal pillows.

Hope that helps,
                              TednCindy
                              TST TPMS

Comment

Working...
                              X