No announcement yet.

Sleep Apnea (warning, long post)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I agree Norty. That surgery is what I would wish on my enemies. That was in 96; I'm once again snoring- so my wife says___. I never have learned how to eat/drink without choking myself now and then. I've had a lot of sinus infections since the surgery, the main reason is I seem to get food in there somehow when eating. Reason; my ENT doctor says the surgery doctor removed waay to much soft palate.
    "As nightfall does not come at once, neither does oppression. In both instances there is a twilight where everything remains seemingly unchanged. And it is in such twilight that we all must be aware of change in the air - however slight - lest we become unwitting victims of darkness."___Supreme Court Justice William Douglas

Comment

Originally posted by heislerb View Post
      Jim the web site seems to have some product information. Did you check?

Bob
      read all of the info and found I'm already doing all but one of the things they suggest .... that being, turning up the thermostat .... we prefer to sleep in a cool room which has to be a major factor in the condensation issue .... guess we have to try that next

Jim
      Jim
      '06 SunnyBrook Titan 34BWKS
      '07 Freightliner Sportchassis
      '11 Chevy Silverado 1500
      '04 Sea Pro 180DC
      '17 Elio reserved

Comment

Originally posted by JEBar View Post
        read all of the info and found I'm already doing all but one of the things they suggest .... that being, turning up the thermostat .... we prefer to sleep in a cool room which has to be a major factor in the condensation issue .... guess we have to try that next

Jim
        I hope it works for you. I was lookng at the web site, as I was thinking, I may need one. I should go and get tested.

Bob
        Bob & Shirley
        Fulltimed May 2004 to July 2008
        Our Travels http://heislershideaway.spaces.live.com/default.aspx

Comment

In hindsight, the surgery fixed my problem with snoring and I have experienced a drop in sinus infections and sore throat type pain. Could be the different doctor. I know surgical procedures change and are always being refined.

Drinking from a water fountain and such are not a problem after re-learning them. My only limitation from the surgery is I can not gargle anymore without choking.
          2011 Jayco Eagle 351RLTS, MorRyde hitchpin
          06 F350 Lariat PSD CC,LB,SRW, 3.73, EGR delete kit,Timbrens
          16K DrawTite, LineX
          His and Hers Ocean Kayaks, TST TPMS
          Elle and BJ

In the past:
          97 27RKFS SB
          04 30RKFS SB Titan

"Don't let yesterday take up to much of your today." Will Rogers

Comment

Here's a good forum I came across....one of the post's deals with "wet" masks...the consensus seemed to be to run without humidity if your "ambient air humidity" supported it....
            George

www.cpaptalk.com • CPAP and Sleep Apnea Community
            Life's too short to drink bad wine :nope:

Comment

Originally posted by JEBar View Post

Jim
              Jim,attach a layer of anything to the mask,maybe a washcloth or towel,a few dabs of hot glue will hold it,this will "insulate" the mask ,reducing the temp differential which is giving you the moisture. I have seen a few masks that had towels wrapped around them to reduce the hissing as well. I found hot glue my freind with respect to excess leaks,I use it to seal them up,and i can always peel it off later if it doesnt work out.I throw my mask in the dishwasher,and when its done,its soft enough to peel any hot glue off you dont want.

Comment

Originally posted by John DiMartino View Post
                Jim,attach a layer of anything to the mask,maybe a washcloth or towel,a few dabs of hot glue will hold it,this will "insulate" the mask ,reducing the temp differential which is giving you the moisture.
                Maureen has made a insulating cover for the hose that runs from the machine to the mask and it think it helps .... have never considered any sort of insulation for the mask itself .... idea appreciated

Jim
                Jim
                '11 Chevy Silverado 1500
                '04 Sea Pro 180DC
                '17 Elio reserved

Comment

water in c-pap hose

Jim and all,
                  I have been on the Swift Mirage nasal pillows for 2 years. Prior to that, I had tried every mask, etc they had with no success(air escaped around masks.)
                  I almost wrapped our 29ft trailer around a tree on faculty camping trip-Test showed I woke up once a minute or more every hour! C-pap is a pain, but after 4 yrs, I am glad to have it. The doctors really scared me about medical problems with sleep apnea!
                  Jim,I have a humidifier on my unit and in cold weather, I sometimes have the water too. Be sure machine is LOWER than your head (in my literature) Try turning off humidifier one night.
                  I have a small table that sits next to my bed in our rig- the shelf is too small and too high for my machine.

Comment

Originally posted by gwenzel View Post
                    The doctors really scared me about medical problems with sleep apnea!..... Be sure machine is LOWER than your head (in my literature) Try turning off humidifier one night.
                    you and me both on the scared by my doctor .... mine didn't pull any punches in going over the things that can happen as a result of Sleep Apnea .... hadn't considered placing the machine lower than my head but it makes perfect sense to do so .... tip appreciated

Jim
                    Jim
                    '11 Chevy Silverado 1500
                    '04 Sea Pro 180DC
                    '17 Elio reserved

Comment

Originally posted by gwenzel View Post
                      Be sure machine is LOWER than your head
                      for the last 4 nights I've placed the machine on the floor beside of the bed ... one of those nights was in the mountains where I used it without any altitude adjustments .... the results has been remarkable and this tip is most certainly appreciated .... I'd recommend it to any other folks having this problem

Jim
                      Jim
                      '11 Chevy Silverado 1500
                      '04 Sea Pro 180DC
                      '17 Elio reserved

Comment

update

as noted in the above post, placing the machine on the floor has helped but after many nights of testing, the biggest factor I've found to reduce moisture building up in the mask is the temperature of the room .... as one who would rather sleep in a cool (read that very cool) room, this has been a considerable adjustment but it sure beats drowning

Jim
                        Jim
                        '11 Chevy Silverado 1500
                        '04 Sea Pro 180DC
                        '17 Elio reserved

Comment

Sleep Apnea

Saw this in the latest issue of Diabetes Forecast and thought about the forum members that have it. I don't know if this is old info but the results seems to show that a lot of people got good results from this. Just passing it along.

David
                          Attached Files
                          David & Bonnie (2 new kitties, one male, one female)
                          2004 Sunnybrook Titan 31 BWKS w/bed slide
                          Hijacker 5th Wheel Hitch 16K with 21K bars
                          5th AIRBORNE Pinbox Roto Choks
                          Custom 2" pinbox receiver Bike Rack
                          Externabond Roof Seams
                          Wet Bolt Kit
                          7K Nev-R-Adjust Brakes

2004 Sliverado Dually D/A
                          GM Racor primary filter, 98 Gal. Transfer tank
                          Thanks to BC Jim for all his help

Comment

Originally posted by Bkins View Post
                            Saw this in the latest issue of Diabetes Forecast and thought about the forum members that have it. I don't know if this is old info but the results seems to show that a lot of people got good results from this. Just passing it along.

David
                            I think i was effected by SA but since i lost some weight and exercise every day i have no problems at all sleeping my cousin has a machine to help him sleep but he lost almost 100lbs and went back to the sleep clinic and low and behold no need for the machine any more and his type 2 diabetes is gone and sugar is spot on. once again a healthy lifestyle fixes most anything
                            he sold his machine on Ebay:whistle:

Comment

I had the surgery and it fixed the problem years ago. My ENT suggested and did it.
                              2011 Jayco Eagle 351RLTS, MorRyde hitchpin
                              06 F350 Lariat PSD CC,LB,SRW, 3.73, EGR delete kit,Timbrens
                              16K DrawTite, LineX
                              His and Hers Ocean Kayaks, TST TPMS
                              Elle and BJ

In the past:
                              97 27RKFS SB
                              04 30RKFS SB Titan

"Don't let yesterday take up to much of your today." Will Rogers

Comment

You shouldn't ignore it

My Brother In Law has suffered for years but never went to
                                a doctor for it, in a 4 week period his father died, after a
                                one year struggle with cancer and he was his primary care taker
                                and my sister suddenly went into the hospital for
                                a heart procedure (3 blockages), and all of a sudden one
                                afternoon he could remember his father died or my sister
                                had just gotten out of the hospital. At first they thought he
                                had a stroke, then they determined it was a temporary memory
                                lapse caused by stress. After all the tests by various doctors
                                he ended up with a CPAP and has had it for 3 months. He says
                                he has ever felt better, he is now trying to lose some weight
                                and take better care of himself.
                                Sleep Depravation can really raise cain with our heart and
                                body in many ways. If you are Not sleeping good - you really
                                need to see a doctor for help.
                                Westwind
                                Rhode Island
                                2015 GMC Sierra 3500 D/A CC, Short Bed, Iridium
                                2008 GMC D/A Xtended Cab, Short Bed, Stealth Grey
                                Hensley TrailSaver BD3 Hitch
                                2012 Heartland Bighorn 3070TL
                                2002 Sunnybrook, 26FK (sold but not Forgotten)
                                Hensley Arrow (Swapped for a BD3)
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X