Sleep Apnea (warning, long post)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

update

in reviving this thread I really should have put its contents in the Notes To Self thread but got to thinking with all of new folks we have, the information covered may be helpful .... over the last couple of nights I've relearned a forgotten lesson the hard way .... the control settings on my C-pap machine were set years ago in Raleigh which has an elevation of 350' .... we are currently in Laramie, Wy which has an elevation over 7,200' .... needless to say, the machine can't be operating as it should and I haven't slept well at all .... having never adjusted the machine, I had to find a website which provided me with the needed information .... hopefully, things will go better tonight .... knowing we do have folks in our community who have sleep apnea, I thought a reminder that it pays to know how to adjust their machine when traveling and don't forget to do so when traveling

Jim
    Jim
    '06 SunnyBrook Titan 34BWKS
    '07 Freightliner Sportchassis
    '11 Chevy Silverado 1500
    '04 Sea Pro 180DC
    '17 Elio reserved

Comment

Good thinking although late. Since my surgery a few years ago, I had almost forgotten about my old CPAP. I guess they have a new generation of masks and machines now.
      2011 Jayco Eagle 351RLTS, MorRyde hitchpin
      06 F350 Lariat PSD CC,LB,SRW, 3.73, EGR delete kit,Timbrens
      16K DrawTite, LineX
      His and Hers Ocean Kayaks, TST TPMS
      Elle and BJ

In the past:
      97 27RKFS SB
      04 30RKFS SB Titan

"Don't let yesterday take up to much of your today." Will Rogers

Comment

Originally posted by norty View Post
        Good thinking although late. Since my surgery a few years ago, I had almost forgotten about my old CPAP. I guess they have a new generation of masks and machines now.

am sure the machines have evolved since we got the one I use .... the good news is the mask/head gear have really come a long way in a short time .... my current one is almost comfortable

using the high altitude setting did make a world of difference last night .... if I had of made that change when we first got here, I'm pretty sure I wouldn't have had such a hard time

Jim
        Jim
        '11 Chevy Silverado 1500
        '04 Sea Pro 180DC
        '17 Elio reserved

Comment

I had a sleep study done earlier this year about March and found out I stopped breathing 363 times in one night and my blood oxygen content was down to 40%. I used to wake up every 1 1/2 hrs and get up in the morning very tired everyday. The Dr. said I was not a record case but one of the worst he has ever seen.

Now I sleep with a CPAP and only wake up about once a night and my blood oxygen content stays 98% to 100%, I am not tired all the time and don't fall asleep sitting in a chair or driving like I used to.

Most importantly DW says I don't wake up the dead with my snoring. The grand-kids used to say Papa sounds like a mad dog "growling".
          Papa Bob
          2008 32' Brookside 275FWRKS by Sunnybrook
          2002 Ford F250 SD 7.3L PSD
          Trailair Equa-Flex, Riderite Air Bags
          Champion C46540

Comment

Originally posted by tvman44 View Post
            The grand-kids used to say Papa sounds like a mad dog "growling".

you tooooo .. .. the machine doesn't cure the problem (like wearing glasses doesn't cure vision problems) but it sure helps manage them ..

Jim
            Jim
            '11 Chevy Silverado 1500
            '04 Sea Pro 180DC
            '17 Elio reserved

Comment

Originally posted by tvman44 View Post
              ...and don't fall asleep sitting in a chair or driving like I used to...
              Did you actually formerly fall asleep while driving? You must have quite the guardian angel watching out for you!
              Tim, wife Beverly, & two boys who love RV'ing
              2005 Sunnybrook 30FKS Dual Cam HP
              2002 Suburban K2500 8.1L 4.10 Prodigy

Comment

My experience is almost a duplicate of Tyman44(Papa Bob). The only difference is that my oxygen level only got down to 60%. My Doc said when it is that low it is very hard on the heart and other body parts.
                Rolf
                2006 Sunny Brook 32 BKWSLX 5th. wheel
                2006 Dodge Ram 2500, Quad, 4x4, Cummins, SB, Jake brake, Quadzilla guages

Comment

yes I did several times, guess I just have a good Guardian Angel.

Originally posted by tluxon View Post
                  Did you actually formerly fall asleep while driving? You must have quite the guardian angel watching out for you!
                  Papa Bob
                  2008 32' Brookside 275FWRKS by Sunnybrook
                  2002 Ford F250 SD 7.3L PSD
                  Trailair Equa-Flex, Riderite Air Bags
                  Champion C46540

Comment

Unfortunately like everything else today this sleep apnea has been grossly overdone IMHO. If you are tested there is a 95% chance that you have it according to the testers. What did folks do years ago? I never heard of such a thing back in the 50's and 60's. A whole new industry has grown from this.
                    HAPPY TRAILS
                    Ralph & Snickers

2006 New Horizons 30' 5er
                    Solar That Really Works
                    2006 Chevy 3500 8.1/Allison

Comment

Originally posted by ralper View Post
                      Unfortunately like everything else today this sleep apnea has been grossly overdone IMHO. If you are tested there is a 95% chance that you have it according to the testers. What did folks do years ago? I never heard of such a thing back in the 50's and 60's. A whole new industry has grown from this.
                      There is a high chance you have SA because it is so easy to recognize those that have it. But you have to have proper testing and titration of therapy for documentation and insurance purposes.

I probably have advised hundreds of patients to go for testing.

I finally took my own advice in January. I was having 78 events per hour, classified as severe sleep apnea. It also is taking a relatively high setting (13) to keep my airway open. My headaches have almost disappeared, and I feel better. Lots of other health benefits as well.
                      Larry
                      Holly
                      Jessie
                      Jamie Lyn
                      2006 Chevy Silverado 1500 CC 4x4
                      2007 Starcraft Antigua 215SSO

Comment

I have sleep apnea and it truly sucks.

If I sleep well the world is in high def and nothing bothers me, however if I dont then I'm dragging and can be irritable to say the least.

I tried the cpap, ugh, can't tolerate it, wake up and take it off.

I had turbinate surgery to open things up a bit, that helped and wasnt too bad either.

That being said I have found some new treatment which I must share with you.

You will laugh as I did, but UCLA medical trials and med research in britian have proved it.

The didgeridoo or use of tones and tightens muscles inside the throat and neck which after 6 months of use prevent the collapsing of the airway.

Using the didgeridoo and getting the max benefit requires circular breathing, if you stop using the didgeridoo the benefits stop, research suggests 20 mins a day 3-5 a week.

I am a month into it and I see the benefits already.

To prove my point google or bing didgeridoo for apnea, look at the ucla med youtube video, the docs in britian have a video online also that shows the actual muscle reaction when using the didgeridoo and how it prevents the airway collapse.

No matter what you do, if you have apnea, treat it, otherwise it will kill you.

If anyone wants more info on where I got my didgeridoo or anything else just holler.

Comment

I used a cpap machine for 4 years. Had turbinate reduction, removed tonsils and adenoids. Very painful surgery but it stopped my snoring over 8 years ago.

I went to a weird wedding a few years back where a guy played the didgeridoo and I was interested in where you got it. I may learn it and hire myself out to people who have weird weddings.
                          2011 Jayco Eagle 351RLTS, MorRyde hitchpin
                          06 F350 Lariat PSD CC,LB,SRW, 3.73, EGR delete kit,Timbrens
                          16K DrawTite, LineX
                          His and Hers Ocean Kayaks, TST TPMS
                          Elle and BJ

In the past:
                          97 27RKFS SB
                          04 30RKFS SB Titan

"Don't let yesterday take up to much of your today." Will Rogers

Comment

Didgeridoo Shop in Los Angeles - Buy a Fair Trade Didgeridoo

Comment

UPDATE :

I still use a CPAP machine both at home and while on the road .... Maureen manually sterilizes the hose and nose piece daily .... the water tank is removed and cleaned as needed .... as a result of having ongoing sinus problems for a long time now I broke down and ordered a SoClean 2 machine .... for anyone considering ordering one, I recommend calling the company (number in the link), have your CPAP machine handy so that you can give them accurate info, and place the order with the person you are talking to .... it proved to be simple to setup and is running its first disinfectant cycle right now .... don't know yet if it will help with the sinus issues but I'm pretty sure it can't hurt .... just wondering if any of our folks have experience using a SoClean ..?
                              Jim
                              '11 Chevy Silverado 1500
                              '04 Sea Pro 180DC
                              '17 Elio reserved

Comment

Please post what you find. I have been considering one for a while as my cleaning schedule is almost non-existent.
                                Clif and Millie
                                Mabank, TX (sorta)
                                2015 Chevrolet 3500 LTZ Allison/Duramax Dually
                                2015 Heartland Cyclone CY3418 Toy Hauler
                                2005 HD Dyna Super Glide

Comment

Working...
                                X