It Ain't Weird

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• It Ain't Weird

I well remember the day over 70 years ago when I left an optometrist office in downtown Charlotte, NC wearing my first pair of glasses .... a few weeks earlier it was determined that I was near sighted and the decision was made that I needed bifocals .... I remember I came very close to falling stepping off of a curb and I also remember seeing colors and details that were amazingly vivid .... I've worn glasses every since ,,,, something around 30 years ago, largely due to spending most of my days working in a computer lab, I moved from bifocals to trifocals .... bottom lens for close vision/reading, middle lens for vehicle dash/computer monitor length, and top lens for distance vision .... the transition was easy and the trifocals worked really well for me .... the only real issue I ever had with trifocals dealt with skeet shooting .... a while back I made a decision to go back to bifocals but this time with a twist ..... I wanted to do away with the bottom close vision/reading part of the lenses .... I wanted to leave the top (distance) lens as it has been and have the entire bottom of the bifocal made for vehicle dash/computer monitor .... well, at every step the reaction has been one that was greeted as if I was asking for something totally weird .... there is apparently some set it stone rule of the universe that the bottom portion of the lens in bifocals and trifocals must be designed for close vision/reading .... after a bit of discussion my Ophthalmologists said she would write the prescription for what I wanted but warned me that I'd be stuck with them for at least 2 years because of our insurance .... Walmart Vision Center said they would have to directly contact my Ophthalmologists to ensure she did write the prescription as she intended .... once that was straightened out on Monday, the very nice lady who fitted for the new glasses, had to call the vision lab they use to see if they would make them .... once that obstetrical was removed, they had no clue how long it would take to get them back, best estimate was up to two weeks .... got a call earlier today (Saturday) that my new glasses were waiting for me at Walmart .... frankly, they seem to be working even better than I thought they would ..
    Jim
    '06 SunnyBrook Titan 34BWKS
    '07 Freightliner Sportchassis
    '11 Chevy Silverado 1500
    '04 Sea Pro 180DC
    '17 Elio reserved

I had to get glasses this year. I hate them. I run into things and trip over my own feet b/c they are the trifocals. I would prefer to have "readers" and what you speak about. I spent hundreds of dollars on glasses I don't/won't wear.
    08 sunny brook sunset creek 341SRD -sold after several years of amazing memories
    2014 Open Range 397fbs. For the next stage of camping.
    2008 Ford F-450 King Ranch.
    hoping to make memories that last a lifetime, and shared over the campfire.

Comment

thankfully, my new ones continue to work really well
      Jim
      '06 SunnyBrook Titan 34BWKS
      '07 Freightliner Sportchassis
      '11 Chevy Silverado 1500
      '04 Sea Pro 180DC
      '17 Elio reserved

Comment

I have used readers for over 40 yrs. I finally decided (after several years) to have my eyes checked. I got a set of lineless bifocals and the distance had some correction which the Dr said I needed. I tried for abt 3 weeks and NO GO. I could not get used to moving my head from side to side rather than my eyes and my distance vision was wrong. $200+ dollars down the drain. 70's dollars. Ouch. I still buy cheap readers and do fine after my cataract surgery.

It's a strange experience to be told at the DL office you're blind in the left eye. At the 20/100 setting I could see nothing, not even a hint of black. This was 2 months after having my eyes checked at WM, never again
        Clif and Millie
        Mabank, TX (sorta)
        2015 Chevrolet 3500 LTZ Allison/Duramax Dually
        2015 Heartland Cyclone CY3418 Toy Hauler
        2005 HD Dyna Super Glide

Comment

Working...
        X