• Show
Clear All

• JEBar
    replied
    I'd bet GMC and Chevy use the same one

Leave a comment:

• norty
    replied
    GPS in my GMC car is useless IMO. I never plan to update mine. Don't even like to use it as it is very user un-friendly.

Leave a comment:

• JEBar
    replied
    a measly $149

Leave a comment:

• wingnut60
    replied
    It's not any better over at Ford.....NavTeq or some such entity will update the nav system for a measly $149, free shipping...

Leave a comment:

• avvidclif
    replied
    I recently got an upgrade offer for the GPS in my truck, $99. I just laughed, we never use it. Google Maps on an Iphone is all we need and upgrades are free.

Leave a comment:

• JEBar
    replied
    just finished updating the map info in Maureen's 2016 GPS system .... OK, right up front, I prefer Garmin's system so my comments are somewhat biased .... the update itself was easy enough .... you send them too much money ... they send you a USB drive .... you get in, crank the vehicle and plug it in .... you acknowledge a question on the screen letting it know you want to update the maps .... it goes to work .... you leave the vehicle running for they say up to 50 minutes and walk away .... when I came back the car was still idling and the navigation screen looked normal .... on the paperwork they give you a series of steps to confirm that the install was successful .... that's when the *#@+% fun begins .... bottom line, the install was successful but it took most of an hour and a call to GM's customer service to figure it out .... have I mentioned lately that I totally dislike using GM's system .... if anyone ever was to figure out how to plug in a USB drive that could reprogram it to Garmin's system would have my business

Leave a comment:

• JEBar
    replied
    last Thursday we made another drive to and from Asheville ... this trip was different in that for the first time, Maureen's Camaro didn't run right .... about thirty miles from home I felt an intermittent, noticeable shudder .... to me the shudder felt like what we used to say was a torque converter not locking up .... her Camaro has as an 8 speed transmission that can be placed in manual mode and shifted via paddle shifters attached to the steering wheel .... switching into manual mode I quickly learned a good deal about its tranny .... the shift point for the first 7 gears come at what I consider to be low speeds .... when placed in regular drive, she will go into 7th around 40 mph .... bottom line, we made the round trip drive and got back home .... during the drive I phoned the dealership where we buy our vehicles and spoke to the extremely capable young lady who I have come to trust in scheduling work to be done on our vehicles .... the instant I used the word shudder, she said they could take care it .... she said it was a known issue which would required the transmission to be flushed and to install a newly formulated transmission fluid .... she went on to say that if that didn't take care of it, the torque converter would have to be replaced .... we got the care back a little while ago, smooth shifts .... the rather detailed written report from the tech who worked on it, confirmed what we had been told to expect .... it went on to say not to be concerned if it takes a couple of hundred miles to settle down .... when we get back to the dealership I need to check with her and see what I would need to buy if we ever have to add fluid

Leave a comment:

• JEBar
    replied
    Maureen's Camaro is now just over 3 years old & has 18,500 miles on it .... today we once again drove it to Asheville and back to visit with my Mom and to meet a fellow member of the Henry Rifle Forum .... we were in and out of rain all the way up and some of the way back .... traffic was heavy in spots but moved right along .... thankfully the backups were on the other side of I-40 from wherever we happened to be .... as we often do, we took on fuel coming and going at the Flying J located at exit 150 .... cruise set at speed limit +4 mph .... 32 mpg for the trip .... happy to report that her Camaro continues to excel in ride, handling, and performance

Leave a comment:

• JEBar
    replied
    she's really happy with it .... I bet she put 50 miles on it yesterday ..

Leave a comment:

• Joezilla
    replied
    Outstanding!!

Joe

Leave a comment:

• JEBar
    replied
    we are delighted to say Maureen's Camaro is back home .... we picked it up this morning and are very happy with the repairs to the hail damage .... I must admit I was most pleasantly surprised .... it amazes me that they can take the dents out without breaking the paint .... I told the fellow that we have been working with that now that they have proven they do good work on Maureen's cart, I wasn't anywhere near as anxious about turning my pickup over to them ...

Leave a comment:

• JEBar
    replied
    just got a call from the body shop, Maureen's Camaro is ready to be picked up .... the good news is, they were able to fix all of the hail damage without having to do any painting .... we could have picked it up today but its raining .... we plan to take my Silverado over in the morning and bring the Camaro home ....

Leave a comment:

• JEBar
    replied
    we went by the body shop yesterday to drop off some paperwork .... the hail dings in the Camaro's hood and most in the roof have been taken care of .... with staff being off for the holidays, they anticipate finishing it up after New Year's ...don't know if we will get it back before we are due to pull out on the 5th .... the day the Camaro is ready to be picked up, my Silverado is scheduled to take its place .... when it is finished, our daughter's Suburban is slated to go in .... her's is anticipated to be in the shop for at least a month because they anticipate having to remove and replace the entire roof

Leave a comment:

• Joezilla
    replied
    Originally posted by JEBar View Post
    back on 9-2-17 Hurricane Harvey "blessed" our area with the worst hail storm folks around here ever remember hitting our area .... up to softball size hail .... the damage to buildings, vehicles, everything outside was extensive .... the appraisal to Maureen's Camaro was well over $4,000 in body damage in addition to the broken rear window shown below .... when we submitted a copy of the appraisal to the body shop where we want to have her Camaro fixed, we were close to 500 on the waiting list and was told there was no way they could get to it until sometime in January .... today, I stopped by to check and we got lucky .... someone scheduled to bring their car in today had just called and cancelled .... ours wasn't next but we were there and they took her Camaro straight back into the shop .... he said it will take a day or so before to determine how long it will take .... much depends on determining if the hood and other body panels have to be replaced .... it has been arranged for us to take them my Chevy pickup when they finish the Camaro and then our daughters Suburban when they finished the truck ..... at best we might get to see her car repaired before we leave for Texas on Jan 5th
    Ouch!! That's not fun to be without a vehicle, especially one as nice as that Camaro! Hope they are done with it soon.

Joe

Leave a comment:

• JEBar
    replied
    back on 9-2-17 Hurricane Harvey "blessed" our area with the worst hail storm folks around here ever remember hitting our area .... up to softball size hail .... the damage to buildings, vehicles, everything outside was extensive .... the appraisal to Maureen's Camaro was well over $4,000 in body damage in addition to the broken rear window shown below .... when we submitted a copy of the appraisal to the body shop where we want to have her Camaro fixed, we were close to 500 on the waiting list and was told there was no way they could get to it until sometime in January .... today, I stopped by to check and we got lucky .... someone scheduled to bring their car in today had just called and cancelled .... ours wasn't next but we were there and they took her Camaro straight back into the shop .... he said it will take a day or so before to determine how long it will take .... much depends on determining if the hood and other body panels have to be replaced .... it has been arranged for us to take them my Chevy pickup when they finish the Camaro and then our daughters Suburban when they finished the truck ..... at best we might get to see her car repaired before we leave for Texas on Jan 5th

Leave a comment:

Working...
X