Maureen's New Camaro

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by myvann View Post
    I got the windshield replaced in my truck a while back at the dealership body shop and the GM was less expensive than the aftermarket by around $100.
    its going to cost us $250 (our deductible) no matter where we get it fixed .... we do plan to check and see how the dealership's warranty compares
    Jim
    '06 SunnyBrook Titan 34BWKS
    '07 Freightliner Sportchassis
    '11 Chevy Silverado 1500
    '04 Sea Pro 180DC
    '17 Elio reserved

Comment

Jim,
      Over the last 40 years, I have driven probably 40k+ miles a year, and every so often get a rock hit when there is no other vehicle around. It is my theory that the front wheels are tossing a rock up and to the front and the truck runs into it...?? Only thing I can think of, unless there are rock-carrying birds around.
      Joe
      '05 36 TK3 Mobiles Suites
      '09 F450 4x4--put out to pasture
      '10 F450 4x4--new to me
      First wife, back to 3 Yorkies
      Livin to go campin
      In the past: SB 26FK; 30FKS

Comment

we've talked about it and while its certain the rock had to come from somewhere, we still have no clue where ..
        Jim
        '11 Chevy Silverado 1500
        '04 Sea Pro 180DC
        '17 Elio reserved

Comment

Originally posted by wingnut60 View Post
          Jim,
          Over the last 40 years, I have driven probably 40k+ miles a year, and every so often get a rock hit when there is no other vehicle around. It is my theory that the front wheels are tossing a rock up and to the front and the truck runs into it...?? Only thing I can think of, unless there are rock-carrying birds around.
          Joe
          Perhaps some birds eat rocks, and then they aim when they... Oh, never mind.
          2015 Jayco Eagle 33.5RETS
          2013 Ford F250 6.7 PS Diesel Lariat Crew

Comment

Originally posted by FoxFanRay View Post
            Perhaps some birds eat rocks, and then they aim when they... Oh, never mind.
            because I have no idea whatsoever, your theory is stronger than mine .. :sack:
            Jim
            '11 Chevy Silverado 1500
            '04 Sea Pro 180DC
            '17 Elio reserved

Comment

How 'bout this?

"A bird swallows small bits of gravel that act as 'teeth' in the gizzard, breaking down hard food such as seeds and thus helping digestion." (Solomon et al., 2002). These stones are called gizzard stones or gastroliths and usually become round and smooth from the polishing action in the animal's stomach.
              Gizzard - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
              https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GizzardWikipedia

There it is in print......
              '05 36 TK3 Mobiles Suites
              '09 F450 4x4--put out to pasture
              '10 F450 4x4--new to me
              First wife, back to 3 Yorkies
              Livin to go campin
              In the past: SB 26FK; 30FKS

Comment

Maureen's Camaro is a few days short of being 1 year old .... today we drove it 550+ miles round trip from our home in central NC to Asheville for a visit with my Mom in her retirement home .... during the trip she turned over 6,000 miles ... we drove mostly interstate highways with the cruise set at interstate speed limits plus 3 - 4 mph and she delivered 32 mpg .... she handles like a dream and is a blast to drive
                Last edited by JEBar; 03-27-2017, 01:26 AM.
                Jim
                '11 Chevy Silverado 1500
                '04 Sea Pro 180DC
                '17 Elio reserved

Comment

Neighbor across the street just bought one. Says he loves the thing. But then he's got a full size SUV so the family won't have to struggle getting in and out of the back seat.
                  Clayton & Gayle
                  2007 SB Mobile Scout/Titan 34BWKS LX, Mor/ryde Suspension & Pin Box
                  2008 F-350 SD Lariat 6.4L PSD, TorqueShift w/Tow Cmd, 3.73 LS, SRW
                  Super Cab, Long Bed, Firestone Ride-Rites & a 20k Reese Pro Hitch

Comment

it does have a back seat .... that said, unless the folks sitting in the front seats are really short so their seats are moved as far forward as possible, the back seat is little more than a place to lay some of things you want to be able to put your hands on while moving down the road
                    Jim
                    '11 Chevy Silverado 1500
                    '04 Sea Pro 180DC
                    '17 Elio reserved

Comment

another month, another 500+ mile trip from home to Asheville to visit my Mom at her retirement home .... all in all, a really good day's drive .... I preface the next statement with saying we drove the same route, filled at the same pump, drove the same speeds (speed limit + 4 ) over the same interstate .... we were most happy to see Maureen's Camaro got 33.2 mpg round trip
                      Jim
                      '11 Chevy Silverado 1500
                      '04 Sea Pro 180DC
                      '17 Elio reserved

Comment

Originally posted by JEBar View Post
                        another month, another 500+ mile trip from home to Asheville to visit my Mom at her retirement home .... all in all, a really good day's drive .... I preface the next statement with saying we drove the same route, filled at the same pump, drove the same speeds (speed limit + 4 ) over the same interstate .... we were most happy to see Maureen's Camaro got 33.2 mpg round trip
                        So, it is getting better with age? like fine wine? Congrats!!

I try my best to get Debbie to get one, but she says she doesn't need one.

Joe
                        Joe and Debbie Gilbert
                        On the Road Fulltime Since 7/14/08

2016 DRV Mobile Suites 43' Atlanta fifth wheel home on wheels

2017 Ram 3500 Laramie 4x4 4.10, Factory rear air suspension

Officially RETIRED!!
                        Catch me if you can!!

Comment

Originally posted by Joezilla View Post
                          So, it is getting better with age? like fine wine? Congrats!!

I try my best to get Debbie to get one, but she says she doesn't need one.

Joe
                          she's still a fairly new vintage but yep, she seems to be .... don't get me wrong, it seems to be a fine vehicle but I'd much rather have a Silverado ....
                          Jim
                          '11 Chevy Silverado 1500
                          '04 Sea Pro 180DC
                          '17 Elio reserved

Comment

Yup - easier to get in and out of. LOL Why do I know that!
                            Westwind
                            Rhode Island
                            2015 GMC Sierra 3500 D/A CC, Short Bed, Iridium
                            2008 GMC D/A Xtended Cab, Short Bed, Stealth Grey
                            Hensley TrailSaver BD3 Hitch
                            2012 Heartland Bighorn 3070TL
                            2002 Sunnybrook, 26FK (sold but not Forgotten)
                            Hensley Arrow (Swapped for a BD3)
                            sigpic

Comment

yep .... you got that right .... we are talking about taking it on a week ( +/- ) road trip to southern Georgia to visit some friends and family in September .... if we do, it will be our first such trip without our camper in many years
                              Jim
                              '11 Chevy Silverado 1500
                              '04 Sea Pro 180DC
                              '17 Elio reserved

Comment

Originally posted by JEBar View Post
                                its going to cost us $250 (our deductible) no matter where we get it fixed .... we do plan to check and see how the dealership's warranty compares

Maureen called our insurance company last week to report her Camaro's broken windshield and our agent said he would handle it from there .... today a fellow from a local company showed up and replaced it .... I watched the entire process and was impressed by the way he went about the replacement .... he took his time and was meticulous at all stages of the process .... he said the "head's up display" built into the windshield made it a very expensive one .... somewhere north of $1,000 .... the windshield in our Sportchassis has multiple dings and one crack but so far it hasn't bothered me sufficiently to have it replaced .... he did say that even with it being considerably larger, it would cost a good bit less

additional note : a couple of days ago we once again drove her Camaro to Asheville and back for a visit with my Mom in her retirement home .... 32+ mpg which is what we have come to expect .... having recently lost 50+ lbs, I have found that its much easier for me to get in and our of it and for me that's a good thing ..
                                Last edited by JEBar; 07-19-2017, 02:59 PM.
                                Jim
                                '11 Chevy Silverado 1500
                                '04 Sea Pro 180DC
                                '17 Elio reserved

Comment

Working...
                                X