Park Hosting unique places for those looking

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Park Hosting unique places for those looking

I have been a park host in only 6 parks and only for 3 months at a time, but occasionally I read about volunteer park host jobs that are well unique.

Here is one open recently (April 2019)
    Have you ever wondered what life is like in Big Bend? As a Host at the Sauceda Ranger Station, you will live in the park for free, for a three-month term, at a host site with full hookups, in exchange for 24 hours of service each week. Main responsibilities will be housekeeping at the Bunkhouse. Duties include but are not limited to laundry, and cleaning the restrooms, kitchen and living area; with additional tasks to include general maintenance and assisting with check-ins and fee collections at the visitor center.
    NOW THE FUN PART
    The Sauceda Ranger Station is 27 miles of rugged, dirt road from FM 170. This is the only way in and out of the interior of the park. Drive time is approximately 1 hour 15 minutes.

Last edited by whereigo; 04-29-2019, 09:52 PM.

One more, not as remote but unique "BARK RANGER"
    Bark Rangers walk their dogs to assist ranger staff roving the trails and park sites. Bark Ranger volunteers meet and greet the public, provide information, and notify park staff of emergency or unusual situations as needed. Volunteers will communicate with the visitor center through a park radio or personal cell phone. Volunteers complete roving reports and statistics at the end of each shift. (Found on Volunteer.gov)

ADD: No RV space for this unique opportunity.
    Last edited by whereigo; 05-04-2019, 12:26 AM.

Comment

Now if you want to live on an Island in Northern Wisconsin, this could be you (A cabin is your residence)
      This position will be based either on Stockton, Oak, or Rocky Island as a campground host. Volunteers will meet a variety of people and personalities. Each island has trails and campsites. Volunteers will be the main contact for visitors going out to the islands.
      Volunteers must be prepared to live for weeks at a time at island duty stations. Stations may consist of an outhouse, a propane heater, a refrigerator, and a small 2-burner stove for cooking may be available. There may not be running water. Volunteers are to bring their own food supplies. Volunteers should keep their schedules flexible and always bring extra supplies, in case of weather related transportation delays. Volunteers may have to find housing in the local community which can be difficult to secure and expensive if there is a weather related delay. Self-sufficiency is a must. Volunteers must be willing to share housing with rangers, researchers, or maintenance staff. Pets are not allowed.

Comment

Gonna have to pass on all those gems...but getting my feet wet for 2 months at Ridgway SP in Ouray, CO, this Sept/Oct.
        '05 36 TK3 Mobiles Suites
        '09 F450 4x4--put out to pasture
        '10 F450 4x4--new to me
        First wife, back to 3 Yorkies
        Livin to go campin
        In the past: SB 26FK; 30FKS

Comment

Originally posted by wingnut60 View Post
          Gonna have to pass on all those gems...but getting my feet wet for 2 months at Ridgway SP in Ouray, CO, this Sept/Oct.
          You will like that one, With all of the snow they had this year hopefully the reservoir will start to fill
          Frank and Janet Henn
          Traveling with Hoover and Rainbow the Wonder dogs and Now with Sunshine the rescue Schnauzer
          2008 CrossRoads Cruiser CF32BL Pushing a 2007 Dodge 2500 CDT with a six speed Automaticsigpic
          out of Brandon Mississippi

Comment

Originally posted by whereigo View Post
            Now if you want to live on an Island in Northern Wisconsin, this could be you (A cabin is your residence)
            This position will be based either on Stockton, Oak, or Rocky Island as a campground host. Volunteers will meet a variety of people and personalities. Each island has trails and campsites. Volunteers will be the main contact for visitors going out to the islands.
            Volunteers must be prepared to live for weeks at a time at island duty stations. Stations may consist of an outhouse, a propane heater, a refrigerator, and a small 2-burner stove for cooking may be available. There may not be running water. Volunteers are to bring their own food supplies. Volunteers should keep their schedules flexible and always bring extra supplies, in case of weather related transportation delays. Volunteers may have to find housing in the local community which can be difficult to secure and expensive if there is a weather related delay. Self-sufficiency is a must. Volunteers must be willing to share housing with rangers, researchers, or maintenance staff. Pets are not allowed.
            Under those circumstance do they really expect to find someone from the RV community. I bought an RV so I didn't have to camp under those conditions. They need to go back abt 300 years and snag a mountain man.
            Clif and Millie
            Mabank, TX (sorta)
            2015 Chevrolet 3500 LTZ Allison/Duramax Dually
            2015 Heartland Cyclone CY3418 Toy Hauler
            2005 HD Dyna Super Glide

Comment

The posts are from Volunteer.gov
              Some of the locations do not take RV's, some have bunkhouse or cabin quarters, some only have tent space
              Sorry to confuse people, when I see another I I try to note up front no RV for a unique opportunity.

Comment

More snow yesterday at Ouray and Ridgeway
                Frank and Janet Henn
                Traveling with Hoover and Rainbow the Wonder dogs and Now with Sunshine the rescue Schnauzer
                2008 CrossRoads Cruiser CF32BL Pushing a 2007 Dodge 2500 CDT with a six speed Automaticsigpic
                out of Brandon Mississippi

Comment

Well, that will be gone by Sept, can look forward to some clean new white stuff....
                  '05 36 TK3 Mobiles Suites
                  '09 F450 4x4--put out to pasture
                  '10 F450 4x4--new to me
                  First wife, back to 3 Yorkies
                  Livin to go campin
                  In the past: SB 26FK; 30FKS

Comment

Like Birds? This one sounds like one for you open in May 2019
                    Would you be interested in volunteering as a bird walk guide at Tumacácori National Historical Park during the winter? Bird walks are scheduled from January through April on Saturdays. Volunteer bird walk leaders/guides walk on foot throughout the mission grounds and Santa Cruz River riparian areas within Tumacácori NHP. Estimated walking distance is approximately 2 miles on unimproved trails.

RV site with hook ups (water/electric 30Amp/dump station).

Comment

I had no clue that there was such a thing .... not for me, I'd want to carry a 12 ga
                      Jim
                      '06 SunnyBrook Titan 34BWKS
                      '07 Freightliner Sportchassis
                      '11 Chevy Silverado 1500
                      '04 Sea Pro 180DC
                      '17 Elio reserved

Comment

Here are some new openings for volunteers however
                        NO RV SPOTS
                        but just fun to read
                        Living Historian - Loyalist Militia - Scottish Highlander
                        Join our living history program in commemorating this battle by taking on the appearance of a Scottish Highlander.
                        Duties include: Interacting with the public, performing weapons demonstrations, answering questions, etc.
                        Volunteers are held to the highest standards of National Park Service behavior.
                        Living Historian - Musician - Scottish Bagpiper
                        Join our living history program in commemorating this battle by playing the bagpipes
                        Living Historian - Blacksmith
                        Join our living history program in commemorating this battle by taking on the appearance of a Colonial citizen and conducting blacksmithing demonstrations.
                        Duties include: Interacting with the public, forging metal tools, answering questions, cleaning and maintaining supplies, etc.

Comment

So here is a new one of interest and yes
                          . An RV pad in the employee housing area may be available. No pets, no smoking.
                          Elk Rut Volunteer

Address:
                          P.O. Box 168 Yellowstone National Park, WY 82190

Volunteer must be able to assess very dynamic situations involving visitors and elk. The volunteer must then work with a team of other volunteers and /or employees to develop and implement strategies designed to maintain separation of visitors and elk and optimize safety. Work may include:
                          • Seek out groups of elk with people watching them, keep people a safe and legal distance from elk.
                          • Informal interpretation of elk natural history, behavior and relevant elk management policy.
                          • Perform duties in a safe manner, using required safety equipment, using the radio, driving safely, and keeping a safe distance from wildlife and traffic.
                          • Provide general park information to visitors.
                          • Record visitor statistics on a daily basis.

Comment

now that seems like it could be a fun opportunity
                            Jim
                            '06 SunnyBrook Titan 34BWKS
                            '07 Freightliner Sportchassis
                            '11 Chevy Silverado 1500
                            '04 Sea Pro 180DC
                            '17 Elio reserved

Comment

You probably have seen how some people try to get close to Elk, Bison, whatever animal, its not easy to get them o stay away. Would not be easy job and what happens if Elk charges while your talking to the guests?

Comment

Working...
                              X