Sporting Clays/Skeet Shooting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sporting Clays/Skeet Shooting

Clover Leaf Pheasant Farms is located two miles east of Estelline South Dakota, on the Eastern ridge of the Sioux River Valley called "Buffalo Ridge".... last summer they installed a 10 station 50 or 100 shot skeet/sporting clays course .... it was the first (and to date only) such course I've ever seen .... we will be out there for about two months and as one with little more knowledge of shooting skeet/sporting clays than what I've seen on TV, tips from folks who are experienced in this area would be appreciated .... as an example: in selection of a choke tube to use, I note that :

.000 restriction - cylinder
    .005 restriction - skeet
    .010 restriction - improved cylinder
    .015 restriction - light modified
    .020 restriction - modified
    .025 restriction - improved modified
    .030 restriction - light full
    .035 restriction - full
    .040 restriction - extra full

is the .005 difference in the tube restriction between "skeet" and "improved cylinder" worth the cost of purchasing a skeet choke tube .... in addition : shot size (7 1/2 or 8) recommended .... does one type (pump, semi auto, over and under, side by side) of shotgun lend itself to being a preference

Jim
    Jim
    '06 SunnyBrook Titan 34BWKS
    '07 Freightliner Sportchassis
    '11 Chevy Silverado 1500
    '16 Camaro RS

For Skeet, go with the "Skeet" choke. Works well for that. For Trap, I always did well with standard Modified. I never finished last in a shoot. Maybe it was just luck. Frank shoots clays, he might have a more "authoritative" comment. Happy Hunting.
    Clayton & Gayle
    2007 SB Mobile Scout/Titan 34BWKS LX, Mor/ryde Suspension & Pin Box
    2008 F-350 SD Lariat 6.4L PSD, TorqueShift w/Tow Cmd, 3.73 LS, SRW
    Super Cab, Long Bed, Firestone Ride-Rites & a 20k Reese Pro Hitch

Comment

I'm sure that there is but I don't know the difference in skeet, sporting clays and trap ....

Jim
      Jim
      '11 Chevy Silverado 1500
      '16 Camaro RS

Comment

I just shoot for the fun, I will Use a 12 gauge 870 pump, or a 20gauge semi auto. Than just for the challenge I will use my bolt action 410. Clayton and I have had the talk about how to cook them I say boil them he says fried is better
        Frank and Janet Henn
        Traveling with Hoover and Rainbow the Wonder dogs and Now with Sunshine the rescue Schnauzer
        2008 CrossRoads Cruiser CF32BL Pushing a 2007 Dodge 2500 CDT with a six speed Automaticsigpic
        out of Brandon Mississippi

Comment

See, I knew Frank could contribute. He's got multiple guns and even eats what he kills.

Jim, basic difference is skeet has the birds going across (left & right) in front of you from a High and Low "House" where trap has them going away from you.
          Clayton & Gayle

Comment

:agree:Yep
            Frank and Janet Henn
            Traveling with Hoover and Rainbow the Wonder dogs and Now with Sunshine the rescue Schnauzer
            2008 CrossRoads Cruiser CF32BL Pushing a 2007 Dodge 2500 CDT with a six speed Automaticsigpic

Comment

Originally posted by CWGilley View Post
              Jim, basic difference is skeet has the birds going across (left & right) in front of you from a High and Low "House" where trap has them going away from you.
              from that, what they have out there is a mostly skeet setup but at a couple of the stations one or two of the throwers make the skeet travel away from you .... I found it to be very interesting .... for $15 they provide the skeet, the range and the throwers .... you have to provide your own shells .... it takes 4 fellows about an hour to walk/shoot the course .... over the years I've paid far more for less

Jim
              Jim
              '11 Chevy Silverado 1500
              '16 Camaro RS

Comment

I think he's got it Frank. Jim, they use the same "clays" for both Trap and Skeet. I will look for your episode on The Outdoor Channel later this year.
                Clayton & Gayle

Comment

I wonder what kind of grill Jim will get for his skeet????
                  Frank and Janet Henn

Comment

I think he's got it Frank. Jim, they use the same "clays" for both Trap and Skeet. I will look for your episode on The Outdoor Channel later this year.

doubt that will ever happen unless it would be a "Bloopers" episode ....

Originally posted by frank henn View Post
                    I wonder what kind of grill Jim will get for his skeet????

everything is best when grilled/smoked on a Holland ..

Jim
                    Jim
                    '11 Chevy Silverado 1500
                    '16 Camaro RS

Comment

[QUOTE=CWGilley;146828]See, I knew Frank could contribute. He's got multiple guns and even eats what he kills.

Never kill anything you are not going to eat, unless it is a slimeball.
                      Haven't paid much attention to anything but, open, modified, or full choke.
                      But they work for me.
                      I have a Remington 12 gauge that will kick you into tomorrow.
                      Lee
                      Last edited by staggerlee; 03-21-2012, 08:50 PM.
                      Lee & Mamie http://www.youtube.com/v/4FrGxO2Fn_Msigpic
                      Buy American, The Job You Save May Be Your Own
                      04 - 2500 Chevy CC Silverado - D/A
                      07 - Tahoe LTZ w/tow package,
                      16K Pullrite Super Slide
                      2006 Excel 30RSO
                      All Made In the U.S.A.

Comment

I never finished last in a shoot.

wish we could shoot sometime, you would no doubt continue your streak and I could get some pointers .... for most of my time working in security in NC's prison system, my targets were a stationary, human silhouette .... I could/can consistently hit vital areas with rifle, piston, and shotgun at all of the ranges we fired .... many years ago I did a little dove hunting which is about the closest I've come to skeet shooting .... I have little doubt that most of my efforts will result in little more than making a noise

Jim
                        Jim
                        '11 Chevy Silverado 1500
                        '16 Camaro RS

Comment

Originally posted by JEBar View Post
                          .... I have little doubt that most of my efforts will result in little more than making a noise

Jim
                          If the course has the option... start with trap. You are more stationary in that you don't have to move the gun near as much. While the clays may be moving at the same speed (away from you) - because they are not moving side to side... you feel like you have longer to get on them and take your shot.

I take alot of "first timers" out to shoot trap at our local range... it's not uncommon for them to hit 10-12 out of 25.

Pointers:
                          - Keep the gun moving / follow through on the shot. If you stop moving the gun when you pull the trigger.... you're shot will be under the clay.
                          - Don't fire with the sight on the clay... fire with the barrel of the gun on the clay (the sight will be above the clay)... this will help with your follow through and keep you from being under the clay.
                          - If the range lets you... shoulder the gun before you order "PULL". It will require you to think less and require less "muscle memory" to properly shoulder the gun in haste.
                          - When others are shooting, visualize yourself taking each shot... tracking the clay... noting your point of fire.
                          - Human nature is to wait to fire. In trap, you want to be on the clay and fire quickly before the clay travels too far from you. Target loads are not real strong and it won't take long for the clay to get out of range.

For trap - you can easily use a pump action gun
                          For skeet - (and sporting clays) - you really need a semi-auto (or at least an over under)
                          * - I've seen guys shoot skeet with pumps... its impressive... and a talent that I don't posses.

The range will most likely dictate shot size an load size (at least they do around here). Check with them first before heading out...

Trap (in my mind) is very much like golf in that it is an easy activity to get into and get to a point of "functional aptitude"... but it is VERY dificult to master.

My single round average in trap is around 18-20 out of 25.
                          I have one perfect round of 25... I kept the scorecard and had it mounted in a shadow box and it is on the wall in my basement. (I will say... I've never been so nervous as I was that day taking shots 23 - 24 - 25)

Jeff, Julie, Cameron, & Taylor Lockhart - Wauconda, IL

2021 F-350 Powerstroke Diesel Lariat FX4
                          2011 Jayco 365BHS 5'er: "Cram-A-Lot Inn"

Visit our family online - www.thelockharts.com
                          Find us / "friend" us on social websites - Facebook

Comment

I do have a ten guage that I have shot only three rounds through it. I am not certain weather I hit any thing or the concusion blew a part the clays
                            Frank and Janet Henn

Comment

I don't shoot clays any more. The shotgun only comes out for squirrels. I'm settled in to pistol and rifle 100 & 200 yard shooting off a bench and punching little holes in paper.

For pistol shooting I usually stay within 25 yards and shoot the same silhouette targets you mentioned.

The max line at the range is only 200 yards so I don't get into the long range stuff. Besides, I got enough trouble keeping small groups at only 100 yards.

This all serves to keep me off the street and out of the bars.
                              Clayton & Gayle

Comment

Working...
                              X