Sporting Clays/Skeet Shooting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

chokes

Jim, what kind of gun are you shooting? If your shooting an over/under just buy an Imp cylinder for the bottom barrel and a Mod for upper barrel. If your shooting an Automatic or Pump just buy a Modified. This will be all you need for any of the games you listed, and as far as shells are concerned , buy 12 gauge 2 3/4 dram 1 1/8 Lights, 7 1/2s or 8s are fine . Walmart sells the econo brand in a 4 pack and these will work for all the disiplines.
    Shooting Clays is what we do , and average close to 50 thousand shells a year. My Daughter is an All American in Trap , my wife was the Nevada state womens champion , and I was the zone 7 champ in Sporting Clays.

Warning , it can be very addicting...lol . If they have some locals going out to shoot try and go out with them, they will show you the ins and outs of the sporting coarse. Most of all have fun . Scott

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff View Post
      Pointers:
      - Keep the gun moving / follow through on the shot. If you stop moving the gun when you pull the trigger.... you're shot will be under the clay.
      - Don't fire with the sight on the clay... fire with the barrel of the gun on the clay (the sight will be above the clay)... this will help with your follow through and keep you from being under the clay.
      - If the range lets you... shoulder the gun before you order "PULL". It will require you to think less and require less "muscle memory" to properly shoulder the gun in haste.
      - When others are shooting, visualize yourself taking each shot... tracking the clay... noting your point of fire.
      - Human nature is to wait to fire. In trap, you want to be on the clay and fire quickly before the clay travels too far from you. Target loads are not real strong and it won't take long for the clay to get out of range.

For trap - you can easily use a pump action gun
      For skeet - (and sporting clays) - you really need a semi-auto (or at least an over under)

The range will most likely dictate shot size an load size (at least they do around here). Check with them first before heading out.

pointers appreciated .... will reread them several times and would like to talk with you about it when we are in St Louis

Originally posted by Shooterdad View Post
      Jim, what kind of gun are you shooting? If your shooting an over/under just buy an Imp cylinder for the bottom barrel and a Mod for upper barrel. If your shooting an Automatic or Pump just buy a Modified. This will be all you need for any of the games you listed, and as far as shells are concerned , buy 12 gauge 2 3/4 dram 1 1/8 Lights, 7 1/2s or 8s are fine . Walmart sells the econo brand in a 4 pack and these will work for all the disiplines.

Scott

among others we have a Remington 11-87 semi-automatic and a Ruger Red Label Over and Under .... both 12 gages .... both have been retrofitted with F325 Deluxe Shotgun & Rifle recoil pads .... while both are very comfortable to shoot the 11-87 is better for shooting a bunch of shells in a short period of time .... a while back I caught 4 packs (100 rounds) of Winchester low brass 7 1/2 shells on sell at Walmart and stocked up .... I'm looking forward to giving it a try, there is no way I will ever get even decent at it .... am most certainly looking forward to having a good time

Jim
      Jim
      '06 SunnyBrook Titan 34BWKS
      '07 Freightliner Sportchassis
      '11 Chevy Silverado 1500
      '16 Camaro RS

Comment

Jim, start out with the over and under regardless of what choke you have, it will be safer and easier to learn the protocol and procedures, through the shoot.
        The automatic and pump can be used, but will add confusion, and missed shots..............as well as nervous anxt among the other shooters.

At your first shoot, buy your shells at the club, they are usually sold at very little if any markup. At times you may leave the emptys and at another you must pick them up, ask in advance.

Don't forget the ear protection and a shooting vest, or belted ammunition pouch, always funny to see someone carry a box of shells and try to keep composure loading and picking up brass:help:

JIM

Comment

Originally posted by TIRED TRAVELER View Post
          Jim, start out with the over and under regardless of what choke you have, it will be safer and easier to learn the protocol and procedures, through the shoot.
          The automatic and pump can be used, but will add confusion, and missed shots..............as well as nervous anxt among the other shooters.
          I don't agree that an over/under would be any less (or more) confusing than any other gun. In my mind... That doesn't make alot of sense.

Take the gun that you are most comfortable with... And most familiar with. If it's a pump - GREAT... you may choose to save skeet for another day. If it's a semi - GREAT... most clubs around here only allow one round to be in the gun at any given time when on the trap range.

Bottom line... You'll perform the best with the equipment that you're most comfortable with. (Given that the equipment can legitimately serve the purpose. EX. - don't care how good you are with a Henry Lever Action .22 .... You won't fair too well on the skeet range with it.)
          Jeff, Julie, Cameron, & Taylor Lockhart - Wauconda, IL

2021 F-350 Powerstroke Diesel Lariat FX4
          2011 Jayco 365BHS 5'er: "Cram-A-Lot Inn"

Visit our family online - www.thelockharts.com
          Find us / "friend" us on social websites - Facebook

Comment

Curious as to what the alternative is.
            I do have a bolt action J.C. Higgens 16 Ga. modified choke.
            Lee
            Lee & Mamie http://www.youtube.com/v/4FrGxO2Fn_Msigpic
            Buy American, The Job You Save May Be Your Own
            04 - 2500 Chevy CC Silverado - D/A
            07 - Tahoe LTZ w/tow package,
            16K Pullrite Super Slide
            2006 Excel 30RSO
            All Made In the U.S.A.

Comment

gun

Jim , Jeff is correct in that you should use the gun that you are most comfortable with, and contrary to the guy that said to shoot the over/ under, the 11/87 is probably your best choice given your options because it is Gas operated and has much less felt recoil than any over /under. Many of the top competetors that shoot sporting clays use auto loaders because of that, in addition there is really no disadvantage to having only one choke . Either gun will work well and you will no doubt have a great time.Scott

Comment

I always shoot my 12 Gage over/under browing cirtori at clay targets. I hunt with either my 870, 1100 or 11/87. My 11/87 has a deer barrel and scope on it, that would be fun to try on some clays. The old 870 I have is a the only gun I will take into the salt marsh. I have had it apart in a hotel room soaking in the tub based on knocking it off the blind rail while hunting in the sound. It's never let me down and fully decorated the man cave with every kind of duck mount.

I have shot some good scores with a double gun, and for me it's not abot the score, I just love double shotguns.
                2016 Jayco Pinnacle 36 RBTS
                2016 F350 DRW, Lariat
                B and W Companion hitch

...of all the liars among mankind, the fisherman is the most trustworthy. ~William Sherwood Fox, Silken Lines and Silver Hooks, 1954

Comment

suggestions/tips appreciated .... using conventional firearms (rifles, pistols, and shotguns) is not new to me .... in fact, back when I was in college, I worked two summers in a western town attraction (read that as a tourist trap ) where I gave fast draw and pistol shooting demonstrations .... while working in NC's prison system I worked more hours of armed duty on teams going after escapees than I care to remember .... over the years I've big game hunted extensively from NC to the Rocky Mountains .... other than dove hunts which are major social events in this part of the country, very little time has been spent bird hunting .... it has been many years since I've purchased any sort of firearm, as with most things I am prone to buy what feels good/works for me and keep it for a very long time .... the 11-87 is probably the one that I'll go with but am not opposed to taking the over and under as well

Jim
                  Jim
                  '11 Chevy Silverado 1500
                  '16 Camaro RS

Comment

Originally posted by TIRED TRAVELER View Post
                    At your first shoot, buy your shells at the club, they are usually sold at very little if any markup. At times you may leave the emptys and at another you must pick them up, ask in advance.

Don't forget the ear protection and a shooting vest, or belted ammunition pouch, always funny to see someone carry a box of shells and try to keep composure loading and picking up brass:help:

JIM

this is a pheasant hunting farm operation, not a club of any kind .... very informal, don't believe they offer shells for sale .... I completely agree with hearing protection and am wondering with skeet is it better to cover the ears with earmuffs or use plugs which you insert into the ear .... a couple of days ago I got to thinking about it and do have a shell carrier bag on order from Bass Pro

Jim
                    Jim
                    '11 Chevy Silverado 1500
                    '16 Camaro RS

Comment

lol, "something on order", I see a new hobby for you Jim. There's nothing like the smell of burnt gun powder. It's addictive.
                      Clayton & Gayle
                      2007 SB Mobile Scout/Titan 34BWKS LX, Mor/ryde Suspension & Pin Box
                      2008 F-350 SD Lariat 6.4L PSD, TorqueShift w/Tow Cmd, 3.73 LS, SRW
                      Super Cab, Long Bed, Firestone Ride-Rites & a 20k Reese Pro Hitch

Comment

Ahh nothing like the smell of gun powder morning noon or night. I perfer the ear muff's can not lose them and I feel better protection. This make me want to go out tomorrow, I think I will.Come on up Clayton
                        Frank and Janet Henn
                        Traveling with Hoover and Rainbow the Wonder dogs and Now with Sunshine the rescue Schnauzer
                        2008 CrossRoads Cruiser CF32BL Pushing a 2007 Dodge 2500 CDT with a six speed Automaticsigpic
                        out of Brandon Mississippi

Comment

Jim and Jeff you may want to consider a day trip to here when your down in June.
                          World Shooting Recreational Complex : World Shooting and Recreational Complex
                          I was over there a couple of years ago and it is really nice. Lots of camping spots that I'm sure fill up when an event is going on.
                          My & Shirley
                          2011 CL36XTRMS
                          2015 SIERRA 3500 DENALI HD

Comment

Originally posted by Shooterdad View Post
                            Jeff is correct in that you should use the gun that you are most comfortable with, and contrary to the guy that said to shoot the over/ under, the 11/87 is probably your best choice given your options because it is Gas operated and has much less felt recoil than any over /under.

Scott

:doh: .... without a doubt the 11-87 does have much less felt recoil .... with the probability of firing several hundred rounds over a relatively short period of time, less felt recoil would be a very good thing ..

Jim
                            Jim
                            '11 Chevy Silverado 1500
                            '16 Camaro RS

Comment

Originally posted by JEBar View Post
                              :doh: .... without a doubt the 11-87 does have much less felt recoil .... with the probability of firing several hundred rounds over a relatively short period of time, less felt recoil would be a very good thing ..

Jim
                              If Elizabeth can do it, you can too.
                              Lee
                              Lee & Mamie http://www.youtube.com/v/4FrGxO2Fn_Msigpic
                              Buy American, The Job You Save May Be Your Own
                              04 - 2500 Chevy CC Silverado - D/A
                              07 - Tahoe LTZ w/tow package,
                              16K Pullrite Super Slide
                              2006 Excel 30RSO
                              All Made In the U.S.A.

Comment

I've got a pair of the Electronic Ear Protectors. They're great but too expensive for a one-time shoot. And, I've found Ear Plugs sill do a better job than the "cheap" muffs.

Thanks for the invite Frank, but I've got a date at the range in the morning myself. Artie's taking a .223 Varmint gun and I'm going to let go 50 or 60 .30-06 rounds over a 2 or 3 hour session. Half my junk is already stacked in the living room.
                                Clayton & Gayle
                                2007 SB Mobile Scout/Titan 34BWKS LX, Mor/ryde Suspension & Pin Box
                                2008 F-350 SD Lariat 6.4L PSD, TorqueShift w/Tow Cmd, 3.73 LS, SRW
                                Super Cab, Long Bed, Firestone Ride-Rites & a 20k Reese Pro Hitch

Comment

Working...
                                X