No announcement yet.

Sporting Clays/Skeet Shooting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Do not you mean great and fun toys????????
    Frank and Janet Henn
    Traveling with Hoover and Rainbow the Wonder dogs and Now with Sunshine the rescue Schnauzer
    2008 CrossRoads Cruiser CF32BL Pushing a 2007 Dodge 2500 CDT with a six speed Automaticsigpic
    out of Brandon Mississippi

Comment

Originally posted by myvann View Post
      Jim and Jeff you may want to consider a day trip to here when your down in June.
      World Shooting Recreational Complex : World Shooting and Recreational Complex
      I was over there a couple of years ago and it is really nice. Lots of camping spots that I'm sure fill up when an event is going on.

.... nice looking place but it sure is way, way over my head .... that might be a good place for me to go and watch Jeff shoot ....

Jim
      Jim
      '06 SunnyBrook Titan 34BWKS
      '07 Freightliner Sportchassis
      '11 Chevy Silverado 1500
      '16 Camaro RS

Comment

Originally posted by myvann View Post
        Jim and Jeff you may want to consider a day trip to here when your down in June.
        World Shooting Recreational Complex : World Shooting and Recreational Complex
        I was over there a couple of years ago and it is really nice. Lots of camping spots that I'm sure fill up when an event is going on.
        WOW!!! Had no idea such a place existed...
        Will definately put that on my "future places to visit" list.....
        Jeff, Julie, Cameron, & Taylor Lockhart - Wauconda, IL

2021 F-350 Powerstroke Diesel Lariat FX4
        2011 Jayco 365BHS 5'er: "Cram-A-Lot Inn"

Visit our family online - www.thelockharts.com
        Find us / "friend" us on social websites - Facebook

Comment

during the last few days I've received some choke tubes from Cabala's and BassPro .... I guess the next step is to pattern them to see which seems to work best with our 11-87 .... in thinking about doing so, at what range would it be best to place the targets

Jim
          Jim
          '11 Chevy Silverado 1500
          '16 Camaro RS

Comment

Originally posted by JEBar View Post
            I could/can consistently hit vital areas with rifle, piston, and shotgun at all of the ranges we fired ....

Jim
            What size connecting rod do you use on that?

I use my 18" defender shotgun? Why? Because it's what I own. Best option I have!
            2002 Excursion V10
            2006 SunnyBrook Sunset Creek 298BH
            Reese Dual-Cam
            sigpic

Comment

question : choke tubes for a 1990 12ga Ruger Red Label Shotgun are marked by notches cut into the end of the choke tube .... does anyone know what choke restrictions correspond to three notches and four notches

Jim
              Jim
              '11 Chevy Silverado 1500
              '16 Camaro RS

Comment

another question : with an over and under 12ga, are there circumstances in which it is best to have the same choke tube in each barrel .... example, a skeet choke tube in each barrel when shooting skeet/sporting clays and such

Jim
                Jim
                '11 Chevy Silverado 1500
                '16 Camaro RS

Comment

chokes

Jim, usually 1 notch represents full choke, 2 is imp modified, 3 modified, 4 improved, 5 skeet. Typicaly when shooting sporting clays you will shoot your bottom barrel first with a more open choke on the closer target, and your second shot with a tighter choke because the second target is almost always farther away. If both targets are in close you can use the same choke in both barrels. I am not a choke changer, if the coarse is like most then you can get by just fine with a improved cylinder in the bottom barrel and a modified in the top.....just shoot them and have fun!..Scott

PS, if you plan to go to the St Louis area during your trip, send me a PM and I will set you up to shoot with my daughter , she shoots out at Gateway gun club in St Charles and works at Bass Pro.

Comment

Originally posted by Shooterdad View Post
                    Jim, usually 1 notch represents full choke, 2 is imp modified, 3 modified, 4 improved, 5 skeet.

PS, if you plan to go to the St Louis area during your trip, send me a PM and I will set you up to shoot with my daughter , she shoots out at Gateway gun club in St Charles and works at Bass Pro.

we will be in St Louis twice this summer for a week each visit .... offer appreciated but I'm sure I'm not anywhere near her shooting class .... thanks for the info .... I've just learned that Ruger is no longer manufacturing their Red Label over and under .... the choke in the top barrel has 3 marks and the bottom has 4 .... no clue which barrel shoots first .... I thought I'd pick up the rest of the available chokes while the supply is still plentiful .... have been trying t decide if we need two or each or not

Jim
                    Jim
                    '11 Chevy Silverado 1500
                    '16 Camaro RS

Comment

chokes

Jim , you dont need to buy Ruger factory chokes, you can get them from Briley in Texas. These are better chokes and dont require a choke wrench to install, they are about 35 dollars ea. My daughter enjoys helping people learn to shoot , and would have no problem giving you some tips.Scott

Comment

Briley is the site where I've been looking at them .... in this link the short tubes that our '90 model uses can be seen in the last two tubes .... one is labeled as "Ruger Flush Black Oxide" and the other as "Ruger Flush Black" .... the black oxide tubes are $5 each more expensive .... are they worth it

Jim
                        Jim
                        '11 Chevy Silverado 1500
                        '16 Camaro RS

Comment

Jim the Flush black chokes fit flush to the end of your guns barrel, the other one has a nurled extension about 3/4 of an inch long , which makes them easier to get in and out of the gun. I prefer the nurled chokes , but if you arent going to change them a lot it doesn't really matter, they will both pattern , al though Brileys are more true to the constriction. Scott

Comment

I must not be looking at the same ones .... the black flush and the flush (last two in the link) look to me to be the same length .... the difference appears to be the black oxide finish .... would that finish be worth $5 .... and no, I don't think I'll be changing them often, the ones it it have been there since 1990

Jim
                            Jim
                            '11 Chevy Silverado 1500
                            '16 Camaro RS

Comment

jim save your 5 bucks and just keep them oiled and you will be fine.

Comment

Originally posted by Shooterdad View Post
                                jim save your 5 bucks and just keep them oiled and you will be fine.
                                recommendation appreciated .... will go that route .... do hope to go to Bass Pro while in St Louis visiting our son ... would enjoy meeting your daughter

Jim
                                Jim
                                '11 Chevy Silverado 1500
                                '16 Camaro RS

Comment

Working...
                                X