X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• JEBar
    replied
    Originally posted by Shooterdad View Post
    No problem Jim, she is a cutey pie and a personable girl who loves the outdoors, hunting , fishing , and shooting that shotgun. I am sure she would enjoy meeting you and your family. The Bass Pro she works at is right in St Charles and is easy to get to off the 70 . Scott

thanks, looking forward to it

Jim

Leave a comment:

• Shooterdad
    replied
    No problem Jim, she is a cutey pie and a personable girl who loves the outdoors, hunting , fishing , and shooting that shotgun. I am sure she would enjoy meeting you and your family. The Bass Pro she works at is right in St Charles and is easy to get to off the 70 . Scott

Leave a comment:

• JEBar
    replied
    PS, if you plan to go to the St Louis area during your trip, send me a PM and I will set you up to shoot with my daughter , she shoots out at Gateway gun club in St Charles and works at Bass Pro.
    our son and his family who live in the St Louis area just came in for a week's visit .... he is doing his residency at the Washington University Hospital .... I mentioned your offer and he's very interested .... will contact you as time gets closer to see if something can be worked out .... either way, offer really appreciated

Jim

Leave a comment:

• JEBar
    replied
    jim save your 5 bucks and just keep them oiled and you will be fine.

choke tubes ordered and I learned something in doing so .... by ordering over the phone and not from the Briley website the operator was able to restructure the order in a manner that saved just over $20 .... we will now be taking a couple of shotguns with us for shooting skeet while in SD .... the 11-87 will most likely be used most of the time, with its light recoil, it is the one that is the most comfortable

Jim

Leave a comment:

• JEBar
    replied
    recommendation appreciated .... will go that route .... do hope to go to Bass Pro while in St Louis visiting our son ... would enjoy meeting your daughter

Jim

Leave a comment:

• Shooterdad
    replied

Leave a comment:

• JEBar
    replied
    I must not be looking at the same ones .... the black flush and the flush (last two in the link) look to me to be the same length .... the difference appears to be the black oxide finish .... would that finish be worth $5 .... and no, I don't think I'll be changing them often, the ones it it have been there since 1990

Jim

Leave a comment:

• Shooterdad
    replied
    Jim the Flush black chokes fit flush to the end of your guns barrel, the other one has a nurled extension about 3/4 of an inch long , which makes them easier to get in and out of the gun. I prefer the nurled chokes , but if you arent going to change them a lot it doesn't really matter, they will both pattern , al though Brileys are more true to the constriction. Scott

Leave a comment:

• JEBar
    replied
    Briley is the site where I've been looking at them .... in this link the short tubes that our '90 model uses can be seen in the last two tubes .... one is labeled as "Ruger Flush Black Oxide" and the other as "Ruger Flush Black" .... the black oxide tubes are $5 each more expensive .... are they worth it

Jim

Leave a comment:

• Shooterdad
    replied
    chokes

Jim , you dont need to buy Ruger factory chokes, you can get them from Briley in Texas. These are better chokes and dont require a choke wrench to install, they are about 35 dollars ea. My daughter enjoys helping people learn to shoot , and would have no problem giving you some tips.Scott

Leave a comment:

• JEBar
    replied
    Jim, usually 1 notch represents full choke, 2 is imp modified, 3 modified, 4 improved, 5 skeet.

PS, if you plan to go to the St Louis area during your trip, send me a PM and I will set you up to shoot with my daughter , she shoots out at Gateway gun club in St Charles and works at Bass Pro.

we will be in St Louis twice this summer for a week each visit .... offer appreciated but I'm sure I'm not anywhere near her shooting class .... thanks for the info .... I've just learned that Ruger is no longer manufacturing their Red Label over and under .... the choke in the top barrel has 3 marks and the bottom has 4 .... no clue which barrel shoots first .... I thought I'd pick up the rest of the available chokes while the supply is still plentiful .... have been trying t decide if we need two or each or not

Jim

Leave a comment:

• Shooterdad
    replied
    chokes

Jim, usually 1 notch represents full choke, 2 is imp modified, 3 modified, 4 improved, 5 skeet. Typicaly when shooting sporting clays you will shoot your bottom barrel first with a more open choke on the closer target, and your second shot with a tighter choke because the second target is almost always farther away. If both targets are in close you can use the same choke in both barrels. I am not a choke changer, if the coarse is like most then you can get by just fine with a improved cylinder in the bottom barrel and a modified in the top.....just shoot them and have fun!..Scott

Leave a comment:

• JEBar
    replied
    another question : with an over and under 12ga, are there circumstances in which it is best to have the same choke tube in each barrel .... example, a skeet choke tube in each barrel when shooting skeet/sporting clays and such

Jim

Leave a comment:

• JEBar
    replied
    question : choke tubes for a 1990 12ga Ruger Red Label Shotgun are marked by notches cut into the end of the choke tube .... does anyone know what choke restrictions correspond to three notches and four notches

Jim

Leave a comment:

• PhotoJoe
    replied
    Originally posted by JEBar View Post
    I could/can consistently hit vital areas with rifle, piston, and shotgun at all of the ranges we fired ....

Jim
    What size connecting rod do you use on that?

I use my 18" defender shotgun? Why? Because it's what I own. Best option I have!

Leave a comment:

Working...
X