Hunting/Shooting Hearing Protection

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hunting/Shooting Hearing Protection

I'd appreciate recommendations (a link would be appreciated) for hearing protection used for hunting/shooting .... shooting would include rifle, pistol, shotgun .... I've heard of the earmuff type that are electronic and enhance hearing while protecting from shooting noise but have no experience with them .... I wouldn't know hype from actual performance

Jim
    Jim
    '06 SunnyBrook Titan 34BWKS
    '07 Freightliner Sportchassis
    '11 Chevy Silverado 1500
    '16 Camaro RS

I use the soft ears plugs, and the ear muffs.
    I do have some that are costum fit made for me at work.
    To me they are uncomfortable though.
    When the smoke clears I can hear you, but better with the muffs off.
    Lee
    Lee & Mamie http://www.youtube.com/v/4FrGxO2Fn_Msigpic
    Buy American, The Job You Save May Be Your Own
    04 - 2500 Chevy CC Silverado - D/A
    07 - Tahoe LTZ w/tow package,
    16K Pullrite Super Slide
    2006 Excel 30RSO
    All Made In the U.S.A.

Comment

Cabela's: Peltor Tactical 6 Stereo Long Ear Hearing Device

Yes they work! I have several pair and would dred my long days on the range without them. Money well spent for me!

SBB
      Last edited by JEBar; 04-30-2012, 03:02 AM.
      2012 Jayco Octane 29A Toyhauler
      2007 Duramax SB CC 4WD
      2012 Can am Commander
      2005 Club car

Comment

info appreciated .... they are one of the ones I have been looking at .... does their shape cause any issues with shooting a rifle/shotgun

Jim
        Jim
        '11 Chevy Silverado 1500
        '16 Camaro RS

Comment

Originally posted by JEBar View Post
          .... does their shape cause any issues with shooting a rifle/shotgun

Jim
          Precisely why I can't use that style when shooting trap/skeet/etc.
          My suggestion - you're not going to be burning 1000 rounds a week... You're going shooting a few times. Occasional... like me. No point in spending big money on ear muffs to collect dust.

The squishy foam earplugs will sere you fine. I got a whole GIANT carton of them for darn near free - more than I'll use in my lifetime. I'll bring a bunch to St Louis... If you like em great. If not... Don't cost nothing.
          Jeff, Julie, Cameron, & Taylor Lockhart - Wauconda, IL

2021 F-350 Powerstroke Diesel Lariat FX4
          2011 Jayco 365BHS 5'er: "Cram-A-Lot Inn"

Visit our family online - www.thelockharts.com
          Find us / "friend" us on social websites - Facebook

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff View Post
            Precisely why I can't use that style when shooting trap/skeet/etc.

The squishy foam earplugs will sere you fine. I got a whole GIANT carton of them for darn near free - more than I'll use in my lifetime. I'll bring a bunch to St Louis... If you like em great. If not... Don't cost nothing.

I'll pass all of this info on to our sons .... I tend to agree .... in thinking back to when I was doing a good bit of shooting, I never did find an earmuff style that I liked when rifle hunting or using a shotgun for skeet/dove .... I could use them when shooting from a bench

Jim
            Jim
            '11 Chevy Silverado 1500
            '16 Camaro RS

Comment

Those particular ones are a very thin profile and fully adjustable. Light weight and very comfortable. Due to the high amplification, I find myself forgetting to take them off between strings of fire or after the shooting is done.
              Me likey.

SBB
              2012 Jayco Octane 29A Toyhauler
              2007 Duramax SB CC 4WD
              2012 Can am Commander
              2005 Club car

Comment

Update

well it took over 4 years of waffling from one position to another to make a decision but I just placed an order with Amazon for these Electronic Headphones .... they should be here day after tomorrow .... decades or so ago when I was much younger and even more foolish, hearing protection while shooting wasn't in vogue .... Matt Dillon didn't wear it, nor did the other big screen cowboy heroes of that era .... as a result my hearing in both ears suffered significant permanent damage .... over time I've worn ear plugs and earmuffs .... both helped, both could be aggravating .... the earmuffs do a much better job of handing the noise but in doing so it has been very difficult for me to hear conversations and other such sounds .... as with most stuff, in looking at them, some were high dollar, some were very fancy, all talked in various terms that I didn't fully understand .... recommendations from friends and a 4.5 rating after 10,019 reviews on Amazon helped me make the decision to order this set .... looking forward to giving them a try
                Jim
                '11 Chevy Silverado 1500
                '16 Camaro RS

Comment

I bought these at Amazon:
                  https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B007B...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

They have a NRR of 30. Work great.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
                  Russell
                  '13 Excel Winslow 34IKE
                  '16 GMC Sierra 3500HD
                  Previous RV's: '03 MobileScout Titan 29DBS;
                  '01 Sunnybrook 2708 SLE; '99 Coleman Utah

Comment

Back when I shot bench rest rifle I discovered that high quality low profile head sets are necessary to get into the proper position on a rifle and have zero contact between head set and stock. Have you tried those out for stock contact?
                    2016 Jayco Pinnacle 36 RBTS
                    2016 F350 DRW, Lariat
                    B and W Companion hitch

...of all the liars among mankind, the fisherman is the most trustworthy. ~William Sherwood Fox, Silken Lines and Silver Hooks, 1954

Comment

Originally posted by eldermike View Post
                      Back when I shot bench rest rifle I discovered that high quality low profile head sets are necessary to get into the proper position on a rifle and have zero contact between head set and stock. Have you tried those out for stock contact?
                      I've been using a regular set shaped like the one in Russell's link and they have been fine .... the ones I have on order are much thinner .... won't know how they do for a while
                      Jim
                      '11 Chevy Silverado 1500
                      '16 Camaro RS

Comment

well it took over 4 years of waffling from one position to another to make a decision but I just placed an order with Amazon for these Electronic Headphones .... they should be here day after tomorrow

looking forward to giving them a try

just got our equipment cleaned up after use on the range earlier today .... fired 100 44 Mags, a few 30-06's, something over 100 223's, and a bucket full of 9 mm's .... must say I'm impressed with the new hearing protection .... very comfortable to wear, excellent protection from muzzle blast while allowing me to hear all of the things I wanted to hear .... am already asking myself, Why didn't I get some of these years ago ?
                        Jim
                        '11 Chevy Silverado 1500
                        '16 Camaro RS

Comment

just got our equipment cleaned up after use on the range earlier today .... fired 100 44 Mags, a few 30-06's, something over 100 223's, and a bucket full of 9 mm's .... must say I'm impressed with the new hearing protection .... very comfortable to wear, excellent protection from muzzle blast while allowing me to hear all of the things I wanted to hear .... am already asking myself, Why didn't I get some of these years ago ?
                          They might not have HD them years age.
                          I used cigarette filters in my ears in the Army.
                          It was better than nothing.
                          Lee
                          Lee & Mamie http://www.youtube.com/v/4FrGxO2Fn_Msigpic
                          Buy American, The Job You Save May Be Your Own
                          04 - 2500 Chevy CC Silverado - D/A
                          07 - Tahoe LTZ w/tow package,
                          16K Pullrite Super Slide
                          2006 Excel 30RSO
                          All Made In the U.S.A.

Comment

having just purchase electronic hear protectionm it was inevitable that I'd receive a pair for Christmas .... yep, it happened and I couldn't be happier .... the set I was given cost several times what I paid for the ones mentioned above .... now when we go to a range Maureen will have a set .... the new ones are 3M Peltor Tactical 6S Active Volume Hearing Protectors .... the came with an optional 3M Peltor Camelback Gel Sealing Rings .... no clue when I'll have an opportunity to test them at a local range .... the biggest differenes I have noticed are :

the Peltor's have an on/off, volume switch on both sides ....

they don't allow sounds to get as loud ....

they are way more expensive

with the optional ear rings they are more comfortable
                            Jim
                            '11 Chevy Silverado 1500
                            '16 Camaro RS

Comment

Working...
                            X