Transporting Prohibited Firearms through BC and Yukon to Alaska

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Transporting Prohibited Firearms through BC and Yukon to Alaska

Hello there. I was wondering if anyone on here has legally traveled through BC and Yukon with prohibited firearms? I have the numbers and some forms and finally got an email with a word.doc attached with some info to fill out from the RMCP and a Fax number to send it to. Is anyone familiar with this procedure?

I intend to fill all the route stuff and other questions and fax it along, but this seems too easy. Just wondering if this is going to be the start of a much bigger process.

It took a while to finally figure out that BC and Yukon were the only provinces that would even allow the transport of prohibited firearms. I haven't run into any other people who have traveled there with weapons at all. I've heard all the stuff about taking them apart and mailing them but I don't think that is the greatest idea and I won't do it. And I don't want to mail them through FFLs. I'm not interested in parting with my weapons at all. I can't be the only one. Riding with them locked up is something I have barely come to terms with. So if anyone else out there is familiar with this I would greatly appreciate any info.
    Thanks in advance, Andy

I haven't a clue really about what you might need. But suggest you thoroughly investigate this, before entering Canada with weapons, particularly handguns. You probably have Federal and provincial laws in effect.

The rules for us Canucks are quite stringent.

BTW, I personally I have no opinion one way or the other. Just hate to see you get into some big hassle. They tend to seize things 1st,then let you try to figure out and bear the costs of getting them back.
    sigpic

2012 Ford Escape
    2004 33BWS
    2007 F150

1991 Suburban R2500 454
    1997 Suburban C1500 350

Comment

There is a difference between Prohibited and restricted firearms.

Below is from this website.
      Firearms Allowed, Restricted and Prohibited
      Approval of the Non-Resident Firearms Declaration allows only standard rifles and shotguns commonly used for hunting and target shooting to be transported into or through Canada.

Handguns with at least 4-inch barrels are considered "restricted" firearms and are allowed in Canada, but require the completion an approval of an Application for an Authorization to Transport Restricted Firearms. This Non-Resident Firearm Declaration costs $50 Canadian.

Handguns with barrels shorter than 4-inches, fully automatic, converted automatics, and assault-type weapons are "prohibited" and not allowed in Canada. In addition, certain knives, even those used for hunting and fishing, may be considered prohibited weapons by Canadian officials.

I would be very cautious about transporting firearms through Canada.
      All Canadian border check points are on the Canadian side of the border and if you have a problem, your firearms will be confiscated and NOT returned. Additionally, you will likely face some pretty severe charges in the Canadian Judicial system.

John
      LaPorte, Colorado
      2003 F250 Superduty 6.0 Diesel, Auto - 2004 Sunnybrook Solanta 2816 - 2004 Brakesmart - 2006 Hensley Arrow

To be Old and Wise, You Must First be Young and Stupid!

Don't do something permanently stupid just because you're temporarily upset!

Comment

Seen a program on the tube where the RCMP , and Alaska police have target practice against each other annually.

When Alaska police came across the border for the target practice the mounties took their weapons.
        Once they crossed over, they gave them back.
        So it must be pretty strict for them to even bother.

I would check, and then check again, or you will not be getting your things back, and might go to jail and pay fines and all sorts of things.
        If they are prohibited firearms, they might already be illegal.

Opps, theres that "I" word again.

Lee
        Lee & Mamie http://www.youtube.com/v/4FrGxO2Fn_Msigpic
        Buy American, The Job You Save May Be Your Own
        04 - 2500 Chevy CC Silverado - D/A
        07 - Tahoe LTZ w/tow package,
        16K Pullrite Super Slide
        2006 Excel 30RSO
        All Made In the U.S.A.

Comment

fire arms

Illegal = a sick bird.
          Daniel Piippo
          Dan & Cricket - ON THE ROAD,
          08 F-350, SD ,PSD, 4X4 DRW ,C/C LB,Tow Boss 4.30,
          5 Speed Auto, Valley Tow 20K Slider, Marquis 5.5KW Propane Vapor
          "11" FLTRU Road Glide Ultra, 2003 FXDL Dyna Low Rider. 08 Sunnybrook Titan 391SURV
          Retired,
          Elio reserved,All In, 100 Shares purchased

Comment

Might check with the NRA. After all there are a lot of hunters that go up there to hunt and have to travel through that area to get there
            Frank and Janet Henn
            Traveling with Hoover and Rainbow the Wonder dogs and Now with Sunshine the rescue Schnauzer
            2008 CrossRoads Cruiser CF32BL Pushing a 2007 Dodge 2500 CDT with a six speed Automaticsigpic
            out of Brandon Mississippi

Comment

I worried about this last summer for our AK trip. I thoroughly checked the RCMP website for instructions, and ALMOST went thru the formal application. But after hearing about some anecdotal instances about what happened even when you had the paperwork correct, I decided against it.
              There is no way to take a handgun through Canada that I can find--only longguns.
              I was uncomfortable at times knowing that I did not have a weapon, but after several days I began to forget about it. Turned out I never ran into a situation that would have required one, but still...
              At all Canadian border stations, we were only asked about: firearms/firewater/firewood--not a mention about our 3 dogs ever, but one guard did ask if they had their passports also...
              We were two couples and the other had wanted to take a Mossberg JIC shotgun with him, but chickened out at last moment--a short barrel shotgun is the only thing I would try to take in if I wanted something at hand.
              Joe
              '05 36 TK3 Mobiles Suites
              '09 F450 4x4--put out to pasture
              '10 F450 4x4--new to me
              First wife, back to 3 Yorkies
              Livin to go campin
              In the past: SB 26FK; 30FKS

Comment

Joe if you knew what town you were going to ahead of time, why couldn't you just mail it to yourself "General Delivery"?
                Pick up your mail when you get there and just reverse that order when leaving.
                Lee
                Lee & Mamie http://www.youtube.com/v/4FrGxO2Fn_Msigpic
                Buy American, The Job You Save May Be Your Own
                04 - 2500 Chevy CC Silverado - D/A
                07 - Tahoe LTZ w/tow package,
                16K Pullrite Super Slide
                2006 Excel 30RSO
                All Made In the U.S.A.

Comment

Here,s a link to the RCMP website for visitors to Canada:
                  Firearm Users Visiting Canada - Royal Canadian Mounted Police

We have some real restricting laws here so I would not risk having your weapons confiscated for not having your paper work filled out. If you really need them I would suggest shipping them to Alaska and then shipping them back if you can do that otherwise bring a shotty and buy some slugs when you get there although you can bring a limited amount of ammunition into Canada.
                  Gotta be carful with the shotty as well......gotta have an 18.5 inch barel and be no shorter than 26 inches over all length. Oh and don't forget the regulations on ammunition storage and storage and transportation of your firearms:wall:
                  I carry my Stoeger coach gun when we camp following all rules and regulations laid out by the federal and local authorities

Those are the restrictions I know of but to be sure take a good read through the RCMP website Firearms Act and Regulations - Royal Canadian Mounted Police

Just to add more confusion here is a link to the justice department which outlines storage and transportation.
                  Storage, Display, Transportation and Handling of Firearms by Individuals Regulations

And for some reading material check out this link:
                  CSSA: Legal Storage and Transport. (target shooting, shotgun, rifle, pistol, biathlon, free pistol, cowboy shooting, SASS, IPSC, PPC, IPDA, full-bore rifle, gun ban, gun control, handgun ban, C68, gun registry, confiscation, gun rights, self defense,

So now you can see why I suggest shipping them or leaving them at home. You have to be a lawyer to understand the regulations and they are still open to interpretation so they can be confiscated first and questions answered later. I would hate to hear of some nice firearms being confiscated

Hope that helps,

Ian
                  sigpic
                  2011 Chev Silverado LTZ 4x4 2500HD Duramax
                  Being tailgated by 2012 Crossroads ST25RB Reserve Edition
                  Home is where to hookup is!

Comment

as a personal statement .... years ago I visited the Vancouver, really enjoyed it, and would love to go back .... in addition, there are many other areas of the country that I've seen/read about in various media that I'd love to see first hand .... I also have no problem with the fact that folks in Canada have every right to pass and enforce the laws they choose ..... while most trips we make do not include taking along any type of firearm, the restrictions outlined in this tread are the single reason I seriously doubt our camper will ever be taken into Canada .... I have no illusions that losing the benefits from any money we may spend while there will have any negative impact on their economy nor that anyone in power up there could care less about us not coming .... we still have hopes of going to Alaska but any such trip will not include coming in contact with Canadian soil

Jim
                    Jim
                    '06 SunnyBrook Titan 34BWKS
                    '07 Freightliner Sportchassis
                    '11 Chevy Silverado 1500
                    '16 Camaro RS

Comment

Originally posted by JEBar View Post
                      we still have hopes of going to Alaska but any such trip will not include coming in contact with Canadian soil

Jim
                      So you are going but not the camper?
                      2011 Jayco Eagle 351RLTS, MorRyde hitchpin
                      2017 F350 Lariat PSD CC,SB,SRW, 3.55, FX4, LineX
                      B&W Turnover
                      Andersen 3220 Ultimate
                      Elle and BJ - Da Pups

In the past:
                      97 27RKFS SB
                      04 30RKFS SB Titan

"Don't let yesterday take up to much of your today." Will Rogers

Comment

Originally posted by norty View Post
                        So you are going but not the camper?
                        if we go, we would most likely take the camper and leave it somewhere in Seattle .... take a boat or fly up to Alaska and rent a camper .... return to Seattle on a boat/plane and bring the camper home .... so far, all this is nothing but a point of conversation while traveling down the road .... the odds are good that it won't ever happen

Jim
                        Jim
                        '06 SunnyBrook Titan 34BWKS
                        '07 Freightliner Sportchassis
                        '11 Chevy Silverado 1500
                        '16 Camaro RS

Comment

Originally posted by JEBar View Post
                          if we go, we would most likely take the camper and leave it somewhere in Seattle .... take a boat or fly up to Alaska and rent a camper .... return to Seattle on a boat/plane and bring the camper home .... so far, all this is nothing but a point of conversation while traveling down the road .... the odds are good that it won't ever happen

Jim
                          Yes, I am familiar with those conversations. We have them all the time and have fun. I want to move everywhere we go for a few hours.
                          2011 Jayco Eagle 351RLTS, MorRyde hitchpin
                          2017 F350 Lariat PSD CC,SB,SRW, 3.55, FX4, LineX
                          B&W Turnover
                          Andersen 3220 Ultimate
                          Elle and BJ - Da Pups

In the past:
                          97 27RKFS SB
                          04 30RKFS SB Titan

"Don't let yesterday take up to much of your today." Will Rogers

Comment

Thanks for the input everyone... I know this riddle is far from being cracked. I'll probably wind up doing some transfer between FFLs if this other process doesn't work out.

But in the event I ever do figure this out I will post the process.

Comment

If I remember correctly there is a gun shop in Tok, Alaska that accepts and ships handguns for folks in your situation. We drove to AK last summer and left our guns home in the safe because we knew we would be entering/exiting Canada 8 times during the caravan trip. That would have been a real hassle. If/when we drive to AK again, it will be on our own and we'll take our shotgun, and do the paperwork as Cdn laws demand. NOTE: When entering Alaska you will be asked if you have any firearms too.
                              If you are entering/exiting Canada by the same crossing, there are CG's on the U.S. side that will hold your handguns in their safe until you return. I've done that before, when just going to the Calgary Stampede.
                              My drivers license notes I have a lifetime CCW permit, so every time we are asked about firearms. After I declare all my firearms and ammunition are home locked in my safe because I was coming to Canada, the border guards slightly smile and wave me through. They have a tough, dangerous job, that is at times very boring. Being polite, respectful, and obedient really helps get through customs.
                              Not once have they questioned my 10" survival knife that resides in my truck door pocket.
                              Last edited by Ray,IN; 12-10-2012, 06:12 AM.
                              "As nightfall does not come at once, neither does oppression. In both instances there is a twilight where everything remains seemingly unchanged. And it is in such twilight that we all must be aware of change in the air - however slight - lest we become unwitting victims of darkness."___Supreme Court Justice William Douglas

Comment

Working...
                              X