Deer problems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Deer problems

I have deer foraging on my new apple trees. My thought is to kill them all but it might not be legal to do that. Any ideas besides all the repellants that don't work very well for very long. I do have a lot of 30-30 and 30.06 ammo.
    Daniel Piippo
    Dan & Cricket - ON THE ROAD,
    08 F-350, SD ,PSD, 4X4 DRW ,C/C LB,Tow Boss 4.30,
    5 Speed Auto, Valley Tow 20K Slider, Marquis 5.5KW Propane Vapor
    "11" FLTRU Road Glide Ultra, 2003 FXDL Dyna Low Rider. 08 Sunnybrook Titan 391SURV
    Retired,
    Elio reserved,All In, 100 Shares purchased

I'd suggest you contact your state's Wildlife Resources office (the folks who issue hunting licenses) .... in many states farmers/land owners where deer or other wildlife are causing such problems can get special licenses/permission to hunt them

Jim
    Jim
    '06 SunnyBrook Titan 34BWKS
    '07 Freightliner Sportchassis
    '11 Chevy Silverado 1500
    '16 Camaro RS

Comment

Originally posted by amerfinn View Post
      I have deer foraging on my new apple trees. My thought is to kill them all but it might not be legal to do that. Any ideas besides all the repellants that don't work very well for very long. I do have a lot of 30-30 and 30.06 ammo.
      It will help by thinning the deer population. In most areas there are too many of them. Maybe wolves should be re-introduced to control the deer population... :sack:

Seriously, deer are not the only risk to small fruit trees. There are lots of wild critters who love to eat the bark/branches. As soon as the snow falls, the mice will be eating the bark and killing the trees also. The best prevention is to build a wire fence around each tree you want to protect. I use hardware cloth and surround the trees trunks up 3-4 feet. Above that, the branches may get nibbled on, but it does no permanent harm.

Comment

Originally posted by amerfinn View Post
        This may be too simplistic, and may also not work in all areas, because the presence of a regular windy climate may be needed. We have heard that by attaching plastic grocery bags loosely to the trunk of the new trees so that wind will keep them in motion will keep deer away from them. The motion of the bags blowing in the wind is enough to make deer avoid that tree.

I have used for the past 4 winters, strips of 3 inch wide yellow "caution" tape to do the same. With the recent harsh winters here in North Dakota, the deer have taken to migrating into the small towns where they wander into the parks and yards overnights and forage around the grain elevators.

My trees that are adorned with these strips of plastic that blow in the wind, are never touched by the deer. I can observe the deer tracks in the snow in the mornings, and see where they have been overnight, and it is clear that they go out of their way to avoid even walking near the small trees that I have so "protected". They are content to bed down in, and feast on the trees and shrubs of those who do not take such action.
        sigpic
        Marv and Mary
        '06 SB 32BWKS
        2014 Silverado, 3500 HD Duramax/Allison, Long Bed, 4X4

Comment

If your land was producing crop you wouldn't need a license. I learned long range shooting from a porch Into a corn field below. I just had to keep a mental note where they dropped so the guys could pick them up prior to harvesting the corn for silage. Cole also got really good hunting like this.
          I've watched him hit a few running animals over the years with only one shot.
          An idea to go with the bags. Use an old broken mirror glued to ribbon and tie to the tree limbs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
          08 sunny brook sunset creek 341SRD -sold after several years of amazing memories
          2014 Open Range 397fbs. For the next stage of camping.
          2008 Ford F-450 King Ranch.
          hoping to make memories that last a lifetime, and shared over the campfire.

Comment

Originally posted by muddy princess sara View Post
            If your land was producing crop you wouldn't need a license.
            Maybe in Ohio, but not everywhere, Check with your local game department.

John
            LaPorte, Colorado
            2003 F250 Superduty 6.0 Diesel, Auto - 2004 Sunnybrook Solanta 2816 - 2004 Brakesmart - 2006 Hensley Arrow

To be Old and Wise, You Must First be Young and Stupid!

Don't do something permanently stupid just because you're temporarily upset!

Comment

Deer including bucks with huge antlers just run my neighborhood like the squirrels. It is outrageous that the anti-gun liberals are OK with it b/c someone is going to get killed when a buck comes through the windshield and the antlers impale the driver. Without predators, what good are deer anyhow??
              2006 Ford E-350 V-10, 4.10, Roadmaster Active Suspension, Maxbrake Controller
              2013 Jayco Eagle 324-BTS, 36 Ft, 925 Tongue Weight, 8,000lbs, Henley Hitch

Comment

I have heard that deer do not like the scent of Irish Spring bar soap. Certain elements hang a bar from a branch with a string to keep the deer from nibbling on their marijuana plants.
                Maybe it will work for you?

Steve
                2004.5 Dodge 2500 Cummins. Was
                2012 Ram 1500. Is

2008 FLHTPI (work)
                2009 FLHT (play)

Comment

Deer

Thanks for the ideas, I'm going to go with the fence plus wrap the lower parts of the trees.
                  Daniel Piippo
                  Dan & Cricket - ON THE ROAD,
                  08 F-350, SD ,PSD, 4X4 DRW ,C/C LB,Tow Boss 4.30,
                  5 Speed Auto, Valley Tow 20K Slider, Marquis 5.5KW Propane Vapor
                  "11" FLTRU Road Glide Ultra, 2003 FXDL Dyna Low Rider. 08 Sunnybrook Titan 391SURV
                  Retired,
                  Elio reserved,All In, 100 Shares purchased

Comment

you've still got plan B :

30-30 at short range

30-06 at longer ranges

Jim
                    Jim
                    '06 SunnyBrook Titan 34BWKS
                    '07 Freightliner Sportchassis
                    '11 Chevy Silverado 1500
                    '16 Camaro RS

Comment

Some states (like NC) will give you a nuisance permit if you make part of your living from those trees.
                      2016 Jayco Pinnacle 36 RBTS
                      2016 F350 DRW, Lariat
                      B and W Companion hitch

...of all the liars among mankind, the fisherman is the most trustworthy. ~William Sherwood Fox, Silken Lines and Silver Hooks, 1954

Comment

Working...
                      X