Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Shooting

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Shooting

    I know we have a good number of hunters and folks who enjoy shooting sports ... just wondering, do we have anyone who reloads his own shells .... if so, what type of equipment do you prefer and what calibers ? .... I haven't reloaded any ammunition in 40 or so years but in reading, the process has changed very little .... some of the equipment has been refined and simplified .... historically, for general hunting, I prefer 30 caliber rifles .... the reason is simple, most companies manufacturing bullets offer a wider range of shapes and weights in 30 caliber .... it is said that more deer have been taken with the old Winchester 30-30 than with any other rifle .... from the 30-30, two former military cartridges, 308 & 30-06 have a larger following .... at or very near the top of the 30 calibers available is the 300 Wby magnum .... while they are find and do fulfill a need, I'm not into semiautomatic, military style rifles .... in 30-30 I like the old Winchester model 94 .... in 308 I really like the Browning BLR .... I also like older model Remington BDL in 308, 30-06, and 300 Wby

    Jim
    Jim
    '06 SunnyBrook Titan 34BWKS
    '07 Freightliner Sportchassis
    '11 Chevy Silverado 1500
    '16 Camaro RS

  • #2
    We don't. But for anyone that's had a hard time finding ammo when the season comes in always wishes they had the ability to do so.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    08 sunny brook sunset creek 341SRD -sold after several years of amazing memories
    2014 Open Range 397fbs. For the next stage of camping.
    2008 Ford F-450 King Ranch.
    hoping to make memories that last a lifetime, and shared over the campfire.

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by muddy princess sara View Post
      We don't. But for anyone that's had a hard time finding ammo when the season comes in always wishes they had the ability to do so.
      like I said, I haven't been in the market for many years but I do know that a year or so ago there was a pretty big shortage of pretty much all ammo .... has that gotten any better

      Jim
      Jim
      '06 SunnyBrook Titan 34BWKS
      '07 Freightliner Sportchassis
      '11 Chevy Silverado 1500
      '16 Camaro RS

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by JEBar View Post
        like I said, I haven't been in the market for many years but I do know that a year or so ago there was a pretty big shortage of pretty much all ammo .... has that gotten any better

        Jim
        A year ago the ammo shelves were all but empty. Now the only empty spot is 22's. Wally World is even selling 50 BMG ammo.
        Clif and Millie
        Mabank, TX (sorta)
        2015 Chevrolet 3500 LTZ Allison/Duramax Dually GONE
        2015 Heartland Cyclone CY3418 Toy Hauler GONE

        Comment


        • #5
          I haven't done any reloading in about 30 years, I recently gave all my reloading equipment to our oldest hunter who is a avid hunter and loads all his own ammo.
          Papa Bob
          2008 32' Brookside 275FWRKS by Sunnybrook
          2002 Ford F250 SD 7.3L PSD
          Trailair Equa-Flex, Riderite Air Bags
          Champion C46540

          Comment


          • #6
            I did shoot competitive handgun and rifle for many years and still have a room in our home that is the reloading room. Still love to shoot and do so about once a month.

            I use a single station press for rifle rounds and a progressive for pistol stuff.
            Since 2008 its been difficult to purchase components and the prices have gone crazy. Since I had a stock of common stuff I have not suffered the crazy prices for most things.
            2016 Jayco Pinnacle 36 RBTS
            2016 F350 DRW, Lariat
            B and W Companion hitch

            ...of all the liars among mankind, the fisherman is the most trustworthy. ~William Sherwood Fox, Silken Lines and Silver Hooks, 1954

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by eldermike View Post
              I did shoot competitive handgun and rifle for many years and still have a room in our home that is the reloading room. Still love to shoot and do so about once a month.

              I use a single station press for rifle rounds and a progressive for pistol stuff.
              Since 2008 its been difficult to purchase components and the prices have gone crazy. Since I had a stock of common stuff I have not suffered the crazy prices for most things.

              when I was reloading I used RCBS (rock chunker) single stage press .... over time it loaded tens of thousands of rifle and pistol shells .... its now in use by our son in St Louis and still performs well .... I used to think about getting one but have never used a progressive press, why would you not use it for rifle shells

              Jim
              Jim
              '06 SunnyBrook Titan 34BWKS
              '07 Freightliner Sportchassis
              '11 Chevy Silverado 1500
              '16 Camaro RS

              Comment


              • #8
                Reloading

                Check this site.

                Dillon Precision: Reloaders, Reloading Equipment, Bullet Reloading, Bullet Reloaders
                Daniel Piippo
                Dan & Cricket - ON THE ROAD,
                08 F-350, SD ,PSD, 4X4 DRW ,C/C LB,Tow Boss 4.30,
                5 Speed Auto, Valley Tow 20K Slider, Marquis 5.5KW Propane Vapor
                "11" FLTRU Road Glide Ultra, 2003 FXDL Dyna Low Rider. 08 Sunnybrook Titan 391SURV
                Retired,
                Elio reserved,All In, 100 Shares purchased

                Comment


                • #9
                  Dillon has been around for a long time and so far as I know still has a very good reputation .... I've never seen one in person .... I don't believe Bass Pro or Cabela's handles them

                  Jim
                  Jim
                  '06 SunnyBrook Titan 34BWKS
                  '07 Freightliner Sportchassis
                  '11 Chevy Silverado 1500
                  '16 Camaro RS

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Thatr is what I had a RCBS (rock chunker) single stage press and a RCBS Progressive press. I used the progressive for pistol ammo and the single stage for rifle, and so does our son.
                    Papa Bob
                    2008 32' Brookside 275FWRKS by Sunnybrook
                    2002 Ford F250 SD 7.3L PSD
                    Trailair Equa-Flex, Riderite Air Bags
                    Champion C46540

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      I have a rock chunker and an orange crusher single stage. My progressive is a Lee Classic. Never went to Dillon because I am way to invested in RCBS style dies.
                      Back when I was shooting bench rest rifle I reloaded at the shoot using wilson dies and a wilson arbor press. 6MM PPC made from 220 Russian cases. I aslo used that setup with 6MM TCU and 7MM TCU which are both made from .223 cases.
                      2016 Jayco Pinnacle 36 RBTS
                      2016 F350 DRW, Lariat
                      B and W Companion hitch

                      ...of all the liars among mankind, the fisherman is the most trustworthy. ~William Sherwood Fox, Silken Lines and Silver Hooks, 1954

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by eldermike View Post
                        I have a rock chunker and an orange crusher single stage. My progressive is a Lee Classic. Never went to Dillon because I am way to invested in RCBS style dies.
                        Back when I was shooting bench rest rifle I reloaded at the shoot using wilson dies and a wilson arbor press. 6MM PPC made from 220 Russian cases. I aslo used that setup with 6MM TCU and 7MM TCU which are both made from .223 cases.
                        that's way too fancy for a person at my level .... we loaded hunting and practice ammo .... my boys were probably in college before they ever fired a factory rifle or pistol round .... we never reloaded shotgun shells

                        Jim
                        Jim
                        '06 SunnyBrook Titan 34BWKS
                        '07 Freightliner Sportchassis
                        '11 Chevy Silverado 1500
                        '16 Camaro RS

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by JEBar View Post
                          that's way too fancy for a person at my level .... we loaded hunting and practice ammo .... my boys were probably in college before they ever fired a factory rifle or pistol round .... we never reloaded shotgun shells

                          Jim
                          Never seen one of these "Rock Chunker" presses, did own several "Rock Chucker"s though. Along with Star Progressive for pistol and Ponsness Warren for shotgun (12, 20, 28, 410)

                          AFAIK the Dillon presses use standard 7/8-14 dies.
                          Clif and Millie
                          Mabank, TX (sorta)
                          2015 Chevrolet 3500 LTZ Allison/Duramax Dually GONE
                          2015 Heartland Cyclone CY3418 Toy Hauler GONE

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by avvidclif View Post
                            Never seen one of these "Rock Chunker" presses, did own several "Rock Chucker"s though. Along with Star Progressive for pistol and Ponsness Warren for shotgun (12, 20, 28, 410)

                            AFAIK the Dillon presses use standard 7/8-14 dies.

                            my oooops on the spelling .... its been a good while since I've seen it in writing .... RCBS started making reloading presses back in the late '40's ... I know the Rock Chucker has been around since the '60's and probably longer .... from what I can tell, there has been very little change in design but as a pure guess, I'd bet the new ones aren't as heavy .... I've always been interested in shot shell reloading but just never pulled the trigger (so to speak :sack: )

                            Jim
                            Jim
                            '06 SunnyBrook Titan 34BWKS
                            '07 Freightliner Sportchassis
                            '11 Chevy Silverado 1500
                            '16 Camaro RS

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Way back when I use to shoot a lot I had a Hydramec we used for shot gun shells. one year we went through a ton of shot.
                              My & Shirley
                              2011 CL36XTRMS
                              2015 SIERRA 3500 DENALI HD

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X