New Short Gun

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Short Gun

Maureen is scheduled to attend NC's consealed carry class in mid May and for a good while we've been looking for a pistol with which she felt comfortable .... earlier today that search came to an end when she purchased a Smith J-Frame with a Crimson Trace Lazer Sight --- .... its chambered in 38 Special +P, the switch to turn on/off the Lazer is built into a finger groove, and the battery on/off switch is in the bottom of the grip .... she hopes to be able to get it out on a range next week while we are in Missouri
    Attached Files
    Jim
    '06 SunnyBrook Titan 34BWKS
    '07 Freightliner Sportchassis
    '11 Chevy Silverado 1500
    '16 Camaro RS

I have several J frame Smiths. Excellent choice.
    2016 Jayco Pinnacle 36 RBTS
    2016 F350 DRW, Lariat
    B and W Companion hitch

...of all the liars among mankind, the fisherman is the most trustworthy. ~William Sherwood Fox, Silken Lines and Silver Hooks, 1954

Comment

Dang new car new gun does she know how lucky she is????????????
      Frank and Janet Henn
      Traveling with Hoover and Rainbow the Wonder dogs and Now with Sunshine the rescue Schnauzer
      2008 CrossRoads Cruiser CF32BL Pushing a 2007 Dodge 2500 CDT with a six speed Automaticsigpic
      out of Brandon Mississippi

Comment

she has had a corresponding Taurus for well over 20 years .... Crimson Trace makes a laser for it but it cost almost twice what they charge for the one for a Smith .... the J frame is lighter and the trigger pull is much lighter/smoother .... it fit Maureen's hand
        Jim
        '11 Chevy Silverado 1500
        '16 Camaro RS

Comment

Curious... for a carry gun, why you didn't elect for an internal hammer?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
          Jeff, Julie, Cameron, & Taylor Lockhart - Wauconda, IL

2021 F-350 Powerstroke Diesel Lariat FX4
          2011 Jayco 365BHS 5'er: "Cram-A-Lot Inn"

Visit our family online - www.thelockharts.com
          Find us / "friend" us on social websites - Facebook

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff View Post
            Curious... for a carry gun, why you didn't elect for an internal hammer?
            dealing with the impact of arthritis on her hand strength was a major factor .... watching the laser jump on a wall when she pulled the double action trigger proved to be a rather dramatic illustration .... considered semi autos but she simply isn't comfortable with one .... as is the case for all, its something you hope is never used .... further my hope is the laser would have a positive deterrence value
            Jim
            '11 Chevy Silverado 1500
            '16 Camaro RS

Comment

My could not rack the slide on the Ruger I bought her due to her arthritis. She went and bought a S&W lightweight hammerless .38+P. She is a pretty good shot with it. Now she just need to finally go to class for her LTC.
              Last edited by texaspsdx; 04-08-2016, 05:51 AM.
              Ron Norton
              Katy, TX
              2020 Ram Longhorn 2500 w/Cummins
              2019 Jayco Eagle 272 RBOK

Comment

Originally posted by JEBar View Post
                dealing with the impact of arthritis on her hand strength was a major factor .... watching the laser jump on a wall when she pulled the double action trigger proved to be a rather dramatic illustration .... considered semi autos but she simply isn't comfortable with one .... as is the case for all, its something you hope is never used .... further my hope is the laser would have a positive deterrence value
                I don't know which would be more of a deterrent. A laser in the middle of my chest or one bouncing all over the place so you wouldn't know which way to jump.

Smile Maureen
                Clif and Millie
                Mabank, TX (sorta)
                2015 Chevrolet 3500 LTZ Allison/Duramax Dually GONE
                2015 Heartland Cyclone CY3418 Toy Hauler GONE

Comment

I've got the corresponding Taurus model... nickel plated. It's very high on the "pretty" factor. LOL!!

I agree on trigger pull. No comparison. But to be fair... it's tough for ANYONE to pull a trigger on a 2" barrel gun without significant movement at just about any distance...

Very fun close up... very frustrating at anything over five yards.

Comment

I have a stainless Model 60-9 J frame in 357Mag. (Pre-lock). It is a handful but a real stopper. I also have the 60 with hidden hammer in 38 special (also pre-lock). It's the perfect pocket pistol, no snag points.

I have a couple of older K frame 38 specials, one is a combat masterpiece with 6 inch barrel. Personal opinion the K frame smiths in 38 special is the perfect home defense handgun. I have black rifles and glocks and 1911's and a bunch of stuff considered to be best but I am a fan of wheel guns and lever guns. I was born in the wrong century.
                    2016 F350 DRW, Lariat
                    B and W Companion hitch

...of all the liars among mankind, the fisherman is the most trustworthy. ~William Sherwood Fox, Silken Lines and Silver Hooks, 1954

Comment

I have a S&W Chief's Special that I carried for a few years when I was in plain clothes. Traded a Colt Detective Special for it, worst mistake I ever made. The Colt was much more accurate than the smith....plus had to do a lot of work on it too, sloppy work...
                      sigpic
                      PAULA AND GARY

2014 Phaeton 40 QBH
                      2015 GMC Sierra SLT 4x4

Comment

My wife chose a Glock 43.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
                        Russell
                        '13 Excel Winslow 34IKE
                        '16 GMC Sierra 3500HD
                        Previous RV's: '03 MobileScout Titan 29DBS;
                        '01 Sunnybrook 2708 SLE; '99 Coleman Utah

Comment

My own bride has a Taurus slim Series PT 709 40 cal
                          Frank and Janet Henn
                          Traveling with Hoover and Rainbow the Wonder dogs and Now with Sunshine the rescue Schnauzer
                          2008 CrossRoads Cruiser CF32BL Pushing a 2007 Dodge 2500 CDT with a six speed Automaticsigpic
                          out of Brandon Mississippi

Comment

Originally posted by drfife View Post

I have one, good choice. Single stack 9mm hides well.
                            2016 F350 DRW, Lariat
                            B and W Companion hitch

Comment

Originally posted by eldermike View Post
                              I have one, good choice. Single stack 9mm hides well.

Originally posted by drfife View Post

Don't know what it is, but I simply can't get comfortable with a Glock. Not just the 43...any of them. Dunno. I have plenty of friends that rave on them, and I'll concede they are a well built gun --- just not for me for some reason.

I went with the S&W M&P Shield 9mm (single stack as well).

Comment

Working...
                              X