Big Boy Steel .44 Mag Range Report

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Big Boy Steel .44 Mag Range Report

earlier today I was able to spend some time at Jay Henges Shooting Park firing our H012 Big Boy Steel and our Ruger Redhawk 44 Mags.... all together I fired 150 practice loads through the Henry .... I also put 50 of the same practice loads and 6 full power hunting loads through the Redhawk .... both operated flawlessly .... the Redhawk is topped with an Aimpoint Red Dot sight .... they have been sighted in 2" high at 25 yards .... the second picture below shows the group of 5 practice rounds in the top circle and 6 full power rounds in the lower circle .... if/when we should once again take it hunting we will have to rezero the Aimpoint for high power ammo .... the Henry topped with a 3 - 9 Nikon performed well out to 75 yards .... beyond there I'm pretty sure the Henry did well but the 240 grain lead bullets ran out of steam and dropped 5 +/- inches between 75 and 100 yards .... if/when it is to be taken hunting, the scope will have to be rezeroed .... for me the Henry has proven to be a fun rifle to shoot with low power (light 44 special load) ammo .... it kicks more than a 22 but very little more .. .. if I'd of had another 150 practice rounds with me, I'd of been happy to run them down the barrel .... I was pleased to note that shooting a full magazine (10 rounds) didn't heat up the barrel where you could tell it by touch .... you definitely need headphones but that's true for most rifles nowadays .... all shots were fired from a rest while seated at a bench rest
    Attached Files
    Last edited by JEBar; 04-23-2016, 01:55 AM.
    Jim
    '06 SunnyBrook Titan 34BWKS
    '07 Freightliner Sportchassis
    '11 Chevy Silverado 1500
    '16 Camaro RS

You would make Dirty Harry proud.
    DZWISS
    Ford 2011 F350 6.7 PSD, Titan 50 Gal. fuel tank
    2019 Airstream Flying Cloud 27 FB
    Cavco Park Model in AZ

"Be thankful we're not getting all the government we're paying for." Will Rogers

Comment

his was a Smith & Wesson ... I really didn't like that movie as a whole but parts of it did "Make my day." .... back then the 44 Mag was the most powerful pistol made but those days are long gone .... the 460 S&W generates a Muzzle Energy of around 2826 ft·lb while the 44 Mag generates around 767 ft-lb
      Jim
      '11 Chevy Silverado 1500
      '16 Camaro RS

Comment

Originally posted by JEBar View Post
        earlier today I was able to spend some time at Jay Henges Shooting Park firing our H012 Big Boy Steel and our Ruger Redhawk 44 Mags.... all together I fired 150 practice loads through the Henry .... I also put 50 of the same practice loads and 6 full power hunting loads through the Redhawk .... both operated flawlessly .... the Redhawk is topped with an Aimpoint Red Dot sight .... they have been sighted in 2" high at 25 yards .... the second picture below shows the group of 5 practice rounds in the top circle and 6 full power rounds in the lower circle .... if/when we should once again take it hunting we will have to rezero the Aimpoint for high power ammo .... the Henry topped with a 3 - 9 Nikon performed well out to 75 yards .... beyond there I'm pretty sure the Henry did well but the 240 grain lead bullets ran out of steam and dropped 5 +/- inches between 75 and 100 yards .... if/when it is to be taken hunting, the scope will have to be rezeroed .... for me the Henry has proven to be a fun rifle to shoot with low power (light 44 special load) ammo .... it kicks more than a 22 but very little more .. .. if I'd of had another 150 practice rounds with me, I'd of been happy to run them down the barrel .... I was pleased to note that shooting a full magazine (10 rounds) didn't heat up the barrel where you could tell it by touch .... you definitely need headphones but that's true for most rifles nowadays .... all shots were fired from a rest while seated at a bench rest
        Those are some BIG holes!!

Joe
        Joe and Debbie Gilbert
        On the Road Fulltime Since 7/14/08

2016 DRV Mobile Suites 43' Atlanta fifth wheel home on wheels

2017 Ram 3500 Laramie 4x4 4.10, Factory rear air suspension

Officially RETIRED!!
        Catch me if you can!!

Comment

I simply can't get over how much fun it was to shoot .... the action Henry builds into its lever actions is extremely smooth and there is something about the sound and feel of working the lever that really adds to the shooting experience .... my casual observation has been that most folks with newer generation AR type rifles are prone to enjoying throwing large numbers of bullets down range .... that is different from most folks who use bolt action, lever action or other non semiautomatic actions ....
          Jim
          '11 Chevy Silverado 1500
          '16 Camaro RS

Comment

I simply can't get over how much fun it was to shoot .... the action Henry builds into its lever actions is extremely smooth and there is something about the sound and feel of working the lever that really adds to the shooting experience .... my casual observation has been that most folks with newer generation AR type rifles are prone to enjoying throwing large numbers of bullets down range .... that is different from most folks who use bolt action, lever action or other non semiautomatic actions ....
            One of the workampers here in Iowa let it slip yesterday that he purchased a Henry Big Boy in 357 magnum over the winter and still has not shot it. I told him if he would let me shoot it, I'll provide the ammo for the day. Hope this happens soon.

Joe
            Joe and Debbie Gilbert
            On the Road Fulltime Since 7/14/08

2016 DRV Mobile Suites 43' Atlanta fifth wheel home on wheels

2017 Ram 3500 Laramie 4x4 4.10, Factory rear air suspension

Officially RETIRED!!
            Catch me if you can!!

Comment

from all I've heard, you will really enjoy it
              Jim
              '11 Chevy Silverado 1500
              '16 Camaro RS

Comment

parting shot ===> during the afternoon of the last full day we were in St Louis, we made another trip to Jay Henges .... for this trip, the Henrys stayed behind and our Redhawk 44 Mag did all of the shooting .... the last target of the day is shown below .... 5 rounds were fired, from a benchrest, 15 yards from the target at each of the 4 bullseyes .... lower power, practice loads were fired at the top, left, and bottom bullseyes .... full power hunting loads were fired at the right bullseye .... I did take my time, specially with the high power loads ....
                Attached Files
                Jim
                '11 Chevy Silverado 1500
                '16 Camaro RS

Comment

parting shot ===> during the afternoon of the last full day we were in St Louis, we made another trip to Jay Henges .... for this trip, the Henrys stayed behind and our Redhawk 44 Mag did all of the shooting .... the last target of the day is shown below .... 5 rounds were fired, from a benchrest, 15 yards from the target at each of the 4 bullseyes .... lower power, practice loads were fired at the top, left, and bottom bullseyes .... full power hunting loads were fired at the right bullseye .... I did take my time, specially with the high power loads ....
                  Good shooting! I love Ruger wheelguns. I have 4 of them but not a single RedHawk in the bunch. My 44mag is a Super BlackHawk that I shot in pistol class silhouette where we had to shoot iron sight out to 100 meters. Chickens at 25 meters, pigs at 50 meters, Turkeys at 75 meters and Rams at 100 meters. 40 round match and the best I ever did was 38 with a much lower average round. After a few years of abusive loads I sent it back to Ruger to get it tuned back up. Because I was shooting it in IHMSA they did a very special trigger and timing job on it. I will bring it with me on the next trip so you can drop the hammer on it, I want to see the big smile.
                  2016 Jayco Pinnacle 36 RBTS
                  2016 F350 DRW, Lariat
                  B and W Companion hitch

...of all the liars among mankind, the fisherman is the most trustworthy. ~William Sherwood Fox, Silken Lines and Silver Hooks, 1954

Comment

Originally posted by eldermike View Post
                    Good shooting! I love Ruger wheelguns. I have 4 of them but not a single RedHawk in the bunch. My 44mag is a Super BlackHawk that I shot in pistol class silhouette where we had to shoot iron sight out to 100 meters. Chickens at 25 meters, pigs at 50 meters, Turkeys at 75 meters and Rams at 100 meters. 40 round match and the best I ever did was 38 with a much lower average round. After a few years of abusive loads I sent it back to Ruger to get it tuned back up. Because I was shooting it in IHMSA they did a very special trigger and timing job on it. I will bring it with me on the next trip so you can drop the hammer on it, I want to see the big smile.
                    I'd really like to see it .... the first mod to our Redhawk was a trigger job (spring kit) ... the most recent mod was having it Mag-na-ported
                    Jim
                    '11 Chevy Silverado 1500
                    '16 Camaro RS

Comment

Working...
                    X