Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Does a really a good brush gun really exist ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is there a difference listed for OAL for those loads?
    2016 Jayco Pinnacle 36 RBTS
    2016 F350 DRW, Lariat
    B and W Companion hitch

...of all the liars among mankind, the fisherman is the most trustworthy. ~William Sherwood Fox, Silken Lines and Silver Hooks, 1954

Comment

This thd seems to be falling into a familiar trap. Novice and old hand reloaders try to play one set of data against another source to get the combination/ advantage/ result they think they want. Trust me when I say "we ain't nearly as smart as we think we are..."

As an old hand at this game, I will tell all that will listen, this very rarely WORKS OUT THAT WAY. I will say that I have stumbled across many a good combination by accident BUT found many more satisfying loads by starting at the listed minimum and working up slowly or changing ONE component at a time

Adding a case FILLER TO A KNOWN GOOD PERFORMER rarely has the desired effect. I've had better responses by changing powder to achieve a fuller case (load density ) at the same pressures.

Personally, I think this thread has been dragged far enough off track, I'm moving on.

Paul

Comment

Originally posted by eldermike View Post
        Is there a difference listed for OAL for those loads?
        Jacketed ... 1.590

lead ... 1.575
        Jim
        '06 SunnyBrook Titan 34BWKS
        '07 Freightliner Sportchassis
        '11 Chevy Silverado 1500
        '16 Camaro RS

Comment

Originally posted by JEBar View Post
          I admit to knowing just enough to be confused in this area .... example for 357 :

taken from Lyman 49th Edition Reloading Handbook --- H110 with 158 grain jacketed bullet --- minimum 16.3 grains --- maximum 17.0 grains

taken from corresponding 4th Edition of Lyman Cast Bullet Handbook --- H110 with 158 grain lead bullet --- minimum 14.4 grains --- maximum 15.0 grains

no problem understanding the reduction in powder for lead .... what I don't get is if going below a minimum of 16.3 grains in a 357 with a 158 grain bullet is dangerous .... why aren't the loads given for lead dangerous .... even the top lead load is below the minimum jacketed load ....
          Coefficient of friction.
          Clif and Millie
          Mabank, TX (sorta)
          2015 Chevrolet 3500 LTZ Allison/Duramax Dually GONE
          2015 Heartland Cyclone CY3418 Toy Hauler GONE

Comment

Jacketed ... 1.590

lead ... 1.575
            So there is some account for loading density in those numbers. Pi times the ID radius times
            015 would be the approximate volume difference in the rounds.
            2016 F350 DRW, Lariat
            B and W Companion hitch

...of all the liars among mankind, the fisherman is the most trustworthy. ~William Sherwood Fox, Silken Lines and Silver Hooks, 1954

Comment

So there is some account for loading density in those numbers. Pi times the ID radius times
              :sorry: I'm retired ....
              Jim
              '06 SunnyBrook Titan 34BWKS
              '07 Freightliner Sportchassis
              '11 Chevy Silverado 1500
              '16 Camaro RS

Comment

:sorry: I'm retired ....
                I didn't account for bullet shape difference because I don't have the 2 to compare. But I'll bet those minimum loads are calculated on a load density assumption. That would be minimum case volume remaining after charge and bullet seating. But again i have always had my doubts concerning the dangers of light charges. Also to repeat myself I follow all rules.
                2016 F350 DRW, Lariat
                B and W Companion hitch

Comment

Are you taking into account the lube groove in the lead bullet, nose shape, etc.
                  You guys are making a mountain out of a little tiny pile of powder!:horse:
                  :sack:

John
                  LaPorte, Colorado
                  2003 F250 Superduty 6.0 Diesel, Auto - 2004 Sunnybrook Solanta 2816 - 2004 Brakesmart - 2006 Hensley Arrow

To be Old and Wise, You Must First be Young and Stupid!

Don't do something permanently stupid just because you're temporarily upset!

Comment

Originally posted by ColoradoNative View Post
                    Are you taking into account the lube groove in the lead bullet, nose shape, etc.
                    You guys are making a mountain out of a little tiny pile of powder!:horse:
                    :sack:
                    I know we are
                    2016 F350 DRW, Lariat
                    B and W Companion hitch

Comment

Working...
                    X