Important Business

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Important Business

Now that I've voted and put all this political nonsense behind me, it's time to get down to the important stuff.....DEER SEASON opens Nov. 1 down here. Anyone else been or intend to go???

I'm really looking forward to all that delicious venison for chicken fried steaks, chili, carne guisada and jalapeno/cheese sausage. :ready:
    Mike and Angela
    '98 Sea Ray Laguna 22' Center Console/Merc 200
    '99 SB 26 CKS-- SOLD
    '07 GMC Sierra SLE2 2500HD 4x4 Z71 CC
    Kyle and Port Aransas, TX

Mike,

My son in law is baiting his stand and has a digital camera that checks to see what comes in... I get my venison from him and my grandson...for the chicken fried steaks do you just cut the steaks thin and pound like "cubed" steaks then flour and fry?... he has sweet and hot Italian sausage made but I have to say the jalapeno/cheese sausage sounds real good... besides chili it also makes great meat balls... I guess you knew that...

Joe
    Regina & Joe

Comment

Originally posted by JerzeyJoe View Post
      My son in law is baiting his stand and has a digital camera that checks to see what comes in...
      Isn't it illegal to put food or a salt lick out at a stand to draw the game in? I don't know if it is or not and do not hunt, but it does not seem very sportsmanlike. I put lots of apples out behind our house and see lots of deer there every evening and morning. Not intentional, they just fall off the apple trees...
      Last edited by edj; 10-24-2008, 12:22 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by edj View Post
        Isn't it illegal to put food or a salt lick out at a stand to draw the game in? I don't know if it is or not and do not hunt, but it does not seem very sportsmanlike. ..
        the legality depends on the game being hunted and the area in which the hunt is taking place .... other than to say as you note, that you don't hunt, I won't comment on the sportsmanlike comment

Jim
        Jim
        '06 SunnyBrook Titan 34BWKS
        '07 Freightliner Sportchassis
        '11 Chevy Silverado 1500
        '16 Camaro RS

Comment

Originally posted by motorjock View Post
          Anyone else been or intend to go???
          I run a hunting club but haven't hunted myself in about 3 years .... my plans are to buy our new grandson a life time sportsman's license for Christmas and I look forward to the day when I can take him hunting

Jim
          Jim
          '11 Chevy Silverado 1500
          '16 Camaro RS

Comment

Isn't it illegal to put food or a salt lick out at a stand to draw the game in? I don't know if it is or not and do not hunt, but it does not seem very sportsmanlike. I put lots of apples out behind our house and see lots of deer there every evening and morning. Not intentional, they just fall off the apple trees...
            this is from the NJ Regulations....

Baiting is allowed for deer hunting.
            Hunters may hunt for deer while in
            a tree, on the ground or in a structure
            and from any height and any
            distance from the bait pile. Hunters
            should check with the landowner or
            administrative agency before placing
            bait on their hunting area as baiting
            is not allowed on properties such as
            national wildlife refuges

Joe
            Regina & Joe

Comment

In Pennsylvania:
              Taking Advantage of Food or Bait: It is unlawful to hunt in or
              around any area where artificial or natural bait, food, hay, grain,
              fruit, nuts, salt, chemicals or minerals, including their residues, are
              used, or have been used within the past 30 days, as an enticement
              to lure game or wildlife regardless of the type or quantity.
              sigpic
              2006 GMC 2500HD 6.6L Diesel
              2008 Kingston 33SK

Comment

Isn't it illegal to put food or a salt lick out at a stand to draw the game in?...
                Not in Texas.

Deer feeders are not illegal.
                Russell
                '13 Excel Winslow 34IKE
                '16 GMC Sierra 3500HD
                Previous RV's: '03 MobileScout Titan 29DBS;
                '01 Sunnybrook 2708 SLE; '99 Coleman Utah

Comment

Not illegal in SC. A lot of people plant food plots just for the deer. Deer feeders are legal and you can just put a pile of corn on the ground, if you don't mind feeding the raccoons. It is illegal to bait migratory birds, but I think that may be a federal thing. The laws are slightly different in some areas in SC, so you have to read the game laws carefully. I go some times just to watch the wildlife. I always take a rifle but do a lot of hunting with my binoculars. Last year I let 2 nice turkeys just walk past the blind. I watched them for about 20 minutes.
                  Going the extra mile just means you missed your exit.

The Black Pearl '07.5 Dodge 3500 Q/C 3500 DRW LB 6.7 CTD Orion 6 sp auto

'07 SB 31 BWKSLX w/King Bed Slide
                  sigpic

Comment

we dont put out salt licks here on the hill, but out at the farm we use to put them out in areas for the cows. we had so many deer come in to the cow pasture that we had to call the local game warden. he issued us a free pass to shoot anything on farm land b/c the deer were passing on bugs and such. and it was already hard enough to keep the cows healthy w/o dealing with this added stuff.

so i think we eneded up shooting close to 30 deer in a 60 day process. sadly it was summer/ spring when it was too warm to save.

i kid you not when i tell you, we use to sit on the wrap around porch and shoot them with the 30 gage. we use to have a contest of who got the best shot.

btw, bow season is already in season here now. its just not getting cold enought to go tho. we had hoped to let cole go bow hunting this year but he cant pull back the cross bow with his broken collar bone

i hope those who do get out to hunt do so safely and victoriously
                    08 sunny brook sunset creek 341SRD -sold after several years of amazing memories
                    2014 Open Range 397fbs. For the next stage of camping.
                    2008 Ford F-450 King Ranch.
                    hoping to make memories that last a lifetime, and shared over the campfire.

Comment

Bow hunting season here in Texas runs from September 27 through October 31, 2008.

After that, break out the big guns....
                      Russell
                      '13 Excel Winslow 34IKE
                      '16 GMC Sierra 3500HD
                      Previous RV's: '03 MobileScout Titan 29DBS;
                      '01 Sunnybrook 2708 SLE; '99 Coleman Utah

Comment

our season begins with bow, then goes to black powder, then to modern rifle .... the length of each season and the starting dates varies from area to area across the state

Jim
                        Jim
                        '11 Chevy Silverado 1500
                        '16 Camaro RS

Comment

Same Here

Originally posted by JEBar View Post
                          our season begins with bow, then goes to black powder, then to modern rifle .... the length of each season and the starting dates varies from area to area across the state

Jim
                          It does the same here.
                          But ends in the reverse order.
                          Lee
                          Lee & Mamie http://www.youtube.com/v/4FrGxO2Fn_Msigpic
                          Buy American, The Job You Save May Be Your Own
                          04 - 2500 Chevy CC Silverado - D/A
                          07 - Tahoe LTZ w/tow package,
                          16K Pullrite Super Slide
                          2006 Excel 30RSO
                          All Made In the U.S.A.

Comment

I didn't start this thread to get into another "political/ethics" debate on the use of feeders/bait while deer hunting. However you choose to do it, so long as it's legal where you hunt, then have at it.

Deputy and EDJ,
                            I know for a fact that hunters do and have for a long time, hunt in and near ag crops. Hunting over a corn field is no different that hunting over a feeder. The deer got to get their groceries somewhere.

Depending on what part of the country you live and how much land you have to hunt will dictate if you can/should use bait. In all my years of hunting I've never taken a mature buck eating at a feeder. They normally will not come to feeders. In Texas it's usually feast or famine. In dry years the deer come to feeders and in wet years they don't. Texas doesn't have many crops in the terrains that support deer so they do not get concentrated to those areas. It's almost necessary to feed corn to some degree.

I personally know my terrain well. I placed a feeder at the opposite end from where the deer bed and a distance from where they get water. I placed my stand in an area where I can catch deer traveling from the bed to the feeder or from the feeder to water.
                            Mike and Angela
                            '99 SB 26 CKS-- SOLD

Comment

Here's some fun one can have in deer camp. This pic came from a buddy's trail cam set up at a feeder to see what comes in when he's not there to see for himself.

This is the kind of stuff that occurs when too much alcoholic is mixed with too much idle time and a gorilla outfit.
                              Attached Files
                              Mike and Angela
                              '99 SB 26 CKS-- SOLD

Comment

Working...
                              X