Important Business

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

JerzeyJoe,
    For my CFS I use the backstrap of the deer and some parts of the hindquarters. I cut them about 1 inch thick and package them into vacuum sealed bags, each weighing 2 lbs.

When preparing the CFS I season each one with seasoning salt, onion powder, garlic powder, black pepper and paprika. That seasoning that Jim JEBar uses looks good too. I then pound the heck out of it to tenderize it. I also mix some seasoning into the flour.

Then I beat a couple of eggs and mix with milk. I dip the steaks into the egg/milk, then into the seasoned flour, back into the egg/milk, back into the flour and then into the skillet. You know it's done when the steaks turn light brown and float. Remove, Drain, Smother is cream gravy and enjoy. :ready:
    Mike and Angela
    '98 Sea Ray Laguna 22' Center Console/Merc 200
    '99 SB 26 CKS-- SOLD
    '07 GMC Sierra SLE2 2500HD 4x4 Z71 CC
    Kyle and Port Aransas, TX

Comment

Originally posted by edj View Post
      Isn't it illegal to put food or a salt lick out at a stand to draw the game in? I don't know if it is or not and do not hunt, but it does not seem very sportsmanlike. I put lots of apples out behind our house and see lots of deer there every evening and morning. Not intentional, they just fall off the apple trees...
      Normally in Michigan you can have bait piles in deer season. A deer was found in Michigan a couple of months ago with Chronic Wasting Disease (Think Mad cow) and all feeding or baiting is no longer allowed in Michigan. The reason is that multiple deer could feed off of the piles and spread the disease by simply touching noses. Actually, this is another economic impact on the state. Many growers of carrots and sugar beets, sell most of their harvest for deer season.
      sigpic

2002 SunnyBrook 27FKS
      Hensley Arrow
      2006 Ford F250, King Ranch, Crew Cab, 6.0L PSD, Auto, 4X4, Integrated Brake controller.
      Sold 2000 F250 7.3L with 212,000 miles

Comment

Well the Gods smiled upon me and I was able to take a nice 8 point on Monday morning. He's now at the processor being made into steaks and chili/stew meat. Can't wait to make some deer chili and carne guisada. Anybody else have any luck?
        Mike and Angela
        '99 SB 26 CKS-- SOLD

Comment

My SIL is waiting for this 7 point buck to come back....

Joe
          Attached Files
          Regina & Joe

Comment

Originally posted by motorjock View Post
            Well the Gods smiled upon me and I was able to take a nice 8 point on Monday morning. He's now at the processor being made into steaks and chili/stew meat. Can't wait to make some deer chili and carne guisada. Anybody else have any luck?
            congratulations ... any pictures?

Jim
            Jim
            '06 SunnyBrook Titan 34BWKS
            '07 Freightliner Sportchassis
            '11 Chevy Silverado 1500
            '16 Camaro RS

Comment

As the late great comedian Lewis Grizzard used to say..."it sure would be a lot more interesting out there hunting...if the deer had a rifle too."
              Bert
              2014 American Eagle
              Freightliner Chassis
              DD 500

Comment

Originally posted by Cat320 View Post
                As the late great comedian Lewis Grizzard used to say..."it sure would be a lot more interesting out there hunting...if the deer had a rifle too."
                based upon a career in NC's prison system where I spent way, way too many hours in pursuit of fleeing felons, "interesting" may be an accurate term but I can assure you it is a major understatement

Jim
                Jim
                '11 Chevy Silverado 1500
                '16 Camaro RS

Comment

Jim,
                  I do so happen to have a pic. And here it is......
                  Attached Files
                  Mike and Angela
                  '99 SB 26 CKS-- SOLD

Comment

Nice rack....what did he weigh?

Joe
                    Regina & Joe

Comment

Joe,
                      I have no idea what he weighed. I'd guesstimate his field dressed weight to be about 100-120 lbs. These deer in the Texas Hill Country are quite small due to their extremely high population numbers. For instance, I hunt on 80 acres and have seen up to as many as 20 deer in one sitting. I'm lining up friends right now to harvest does to thin the herd a bit before they begin starving.

This deer was a 4.5 year old. If we were to get to 6.5 he might have had more body mass. We're also in the middle of a drought and things are pretty tough for the deer right now.

I'd love to get some of those big bodied bruisers y'all have but I'm afraid the heat in Texas would be too much for their mass.

That's a really nice buck in your pic. He looks to be in the 3.5 to 5.5 year of age range. Just right...really thick, heavy body mass....lot's of sausage.
                      motorjock
                      Last edited by motorjock; 11-09-2008, 05:36 PM.
                      Mike and Angela
                      '99 SB 26 CKS-- SOLD

Comment

Originally posted by motorjock View Post
                        Jim,
                        I do so happen to have a pic. And here it is......
                        very nice indeed ... congratulations again

Jim
                        Jim
                        '11 Chevy Silverado 1500
                        '16 Camaro RS

Comment

Bow season in Kansas started Sept 22nd I believe, but it was too dang hot for me to be out there! It's cooled down now, and with the rut right around the corner, I'm seeing more deer movement. Here's the best I've seen on camera so far...naturally, not during the day! George in K.C.
                          Attached Files
                          George, Mary & Holly in "The Doghouse"
                          sigpic
                          2001 Sunnybrook 26FK
                          2003 Dodge 2500 Quad/Hemi

Comment

Originally posted by George & Mary View Post
                            It's cooled down now, and with the rut right around the corner, I'm seeing more deer movement.

George in K.C.
                            the rut is wide open in these parts and deer/vehicles collisions are very common .... right now around here driving at daylight and around dark can be dangerous this time of year but during the rut that can be true any time of day

Jim
                            Jim
                            '11 Chevy Silverado 1500
                            '16 Camaro RS

Comment

Originally posted by JEBar View Post
                              the rut is wide open in these parts and deer/vehicles collisions are very common .... right now around here driving at daylight and around dark can be dangerous this time of year but during the rut that can be true any time of day

Jim

:shocking: Is that why I pulled out in front of a semi today???:wink!:

Bryan
                              06 Sunnybrook Titan 32BWKS

2007.5 CHEVY 3500 long bed Silverado, 4WD, Duals, Duramax, Allison.

08 Montego Bay 37 RLB4--Bought this one to travel around in. Thanks Jim, (JEBar), and Camptown RV

It is much easier to beg forgiveness than it is to ask permission.

Comment

Originally posted by maverick41950 View Post
                                :shocking: Is that why I pulled out in front of a semi today???:wink!:

Bryan
                                sounds about right .... bucks in a rut often do such things and some bucks stay in the rut .. :wink!:

Jim
                                Jim
                                '11 Chevy Silverado 1500
                                '16 Camaro RS

Comment

Working...
                                X