Important Business

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by JEBar View Post
    sounds about right .... bucks in a rut often do such things and some bucks stay in the rut .. :wink!:

Jim

I would much rather be in the rut than out of the rut.:cool_0: rutrut

Bryan
    06 Sunnybrook Titan 32BWKS

2007.5 CHEVY 3500 long bed Silverado, 4WD, Duals, Duramax, Allison.

08 Montego Bay 37 RLB4--Bought this one to travel around in. Thanks Jim, (JEBar), and Camptown RV

It is much easier to beg forgiveness than it is to ask permission.

Comment

Originally posted by maverick41950 View Post
      I would much rather be in the rut than out of the rut.:cool_0: rutrut

Bryan
      that doesn't surprise me in the least :wink!:

Jim
      Jim
      '06 SunnyBrook Titan 34BWKS
      '07 Freightliner Sportchassis
      '11 Chevy Silverado 1500
      '16 Camaro RS

Comment

Hey Jim,
        Better bring your pit with you to Texas. I just harvested a big ol' piggy. I'd guesstimate he's between 200 and 250 lbs. He's been scaring the hell out of the deer in my pasture and playing soccer with 50 pound feed blocks. Not to mention tearing through fences and rooting up everything. But those days are over for him now.
        Attached Files
        Mike and Angela
        '98 Sea Ray Laguna 22' Center Console/Merc 200
        '99 SB 26 CKS-- SOLD
        '07 GMC Sierra SLE2 2500HD 4x4 Z71 CC
        Kyle and Port Aransas, TX

Comment

Originally posted by motorjock View Post
          Hey Jim,
          Better bring your pit with you to Texas. I just harvested a big ol' piggy. I'd guesstimate he's between 200 and 250 lbs. He's been scaring the hell out of the deer in my pasture and playing soccer with 50 pound feed blocks. Not to mention tearing through fences and rooting up everything. But those days are over for him now.
          congratulations on taking that hog .... have you ever tasted wild boar ? .... in these parts, the meat is all but inedible and I don't know of any way to cook it to where you can .... they grub for wild roots and such which apparently taints the meat .... they are most certainly destructive and can be extremely dangerous animals

Jim
          JEBar
          Administrator
          Last edited by JEBar; 11-19-2008, 04:10 AM.
          Jim
          '06 SunnyBrook Titan 34BWKS
          '07 Freightliner Sportchassis
          '11 Chevy Silverado 1500
          '16 Camaro RS

Comment

Just did a google on them. You have a lot of shooting to do there. Was reading an article that there is over 2 million of them across the state doing a lot of damage.
            sigpic
            2006 GMC 2500HD 6.6L Diesel
            2008 Kingston 33SK

Comment

...I just harvested a big ol' piggy....
              Nice head shot.

Have you cooked one of those beasts? How do they taste?
              Russell
              '13 Excel Winslow 34IKE
              '16 GMC Sierra 3500HD
              Previous RV's: '03 MobileScout Titan 29DBS;
              '01 Sunnybrook 2708 SLE; '99 Coleman Utah

Comment

I'll keep a sow as long as she's under 100 pounds. I just can't get past the smell of the boars to even attempt field dressing it. When I shoot those big old boars I call a less fortunate hispanic man that's always happy to come and get them to feed his family. I usually provide him and his family with a couple of deer too.

Now the small sows are pretty good eating. We field dress and skin them, clean 'em up and then put a rub on 'em and smoke 'em whole for about 15 hours. Not bad.

Those boars are just rank and tough.

As for the head shot...It's the only way I know to put those big hogs down with 1 shot. Otherwise, they'll run forever and you may never catch them. They've got a large plate of armor (made of bone and gristle) over their shoulder's that can cause bullet deflection. They are some of the toughest beasts I've ever seen.

This particular shot was made at last light, 170 yards, with a Browning A-bolt in .270 Win, using Hornady Lite Magnum ammo in 140 grain boat-tail soft points, Leupold scope. That shot anchored him in place without even a reflex twitch. It literally went in one ear and out the other. Sorry for the visual.

These feral hogs have spread across Texas like wildfire and are threatening other species. They'll eat anything. It's documented that they eat new born deer and calves, turkey and quail nest, not to mention the destruction they do to the land and fences. They can reproduce at 6 months and will frequently have 2 litters or more per year of up to 10 piglets. One of the bigger problems with them is they are almost always black and they're eyes do not reflect light from car headlights. Now imagine tooling down a country road after dark and you run up on a herd of them in the middle of the roadway. By the time you see them and realize what they are there's no time to stop and you just totaled a car. So this is why I do my part in helping to reduce their numbers.
                Mike and Angela
                '99 SB 26 CKS-- SOLD

Comment

Here's a pic of a big boar I shot last year. The guy in the pic is a Marine friend that was home on break from Iraq. I took him hunting with me and he was able to get a nice 8 point on this same morning. Notice the tusks on this boar. He was about 300 lbs.
                  Attached Files
                  motorjock
                  Last edited by motorjock; 11-19-2008, 09:05 PM.
                  Mike and Angela
                  '99 SB 26 CKS-- SOLD

Comment

Hogs

Are these hogs a cross of a domestic hog and a Javelina?
                    Lee
                    Lee & Mamie http://www.youtube.com/v/4FrGxO2Fn_Msigpic
                    Buy American, The Job You Save May Be Your Own
                    04 - 2500 Chevy CC Silverado - D/A
                    07 - Tahoe LTZ w/tow package,
                    16K Pullrite Super Slide
                    2006 Excel 30RSO
                    All Made In the U.S.A.

Comment

Lee,
                      These are feral hogs and are decendants of domestic hogs that went wild decades ago. Some accounts say they date back to the Spanish explorers in the 1700's.

Javalina are not hogs. They are Peccaries and are more closely related to rodents than swine.

You can tell a feral hog from a domestic swine by the shape of their head. A domestic hog will have a short, dished face while a feral hog will have a long, flat head and snout. Feral hogs also grow tusks where most domestics do not. Most feral hogs are black in color, although there is variations in color.

Swine have the ability to make these evolutionary changes within one generation and there is some evidence that domestic hogs that go feral will begin these physical changes within their own lifetime. Pretty amazing that they are so highly adaptive.
                      Mike and Angela
                      '99 SB 26 CKS-- SOLD

Comment

Swine have the ability to make these evolutionary changes within one generation and there is some evidence that domestic hogs that go feral will begin these physical changes within their own lifetime. Pretty amazing that they are so highly adaptive.
                        A prime example of Evolution at work.... The off spring that do not adapt to the wild are soon killed by predators.

Comment

Ed,
                          Even if they do manage to evolve but happen to cross my path, I promise I'll end their suffering on earth. They do not belong in the wilds of America.
                          Mike and Angela
                          '99 SB 26 CKS-- SOLD

Comment

Is this how you hunt those things in Texas?
                            Attached Files
                            sigpic
                            2006 GMC 2500HD 6.6L Diesel
                            2008 Kingston 33SK

Comment

Works for me...:whistle:
                              Wait that is me.......Nope...bottle is beer not wine...
                              Life's too short to drink bad wine :nope:

Comment

http://brainlessworld.files.wordpres...er_hunting.jpg
                                Attached Files
                                Russell
                                '13 Excel Winslow 34IKE
                                '16 GMC Sierra 3500HD
                                Previous RV's: '03 MobileScout Titan 29DBS;
                                '01 Sunnybrook 2708 SLE; '99 Coleman Utah

Comment

Working...
                                X