• JerzeyJoe
    replied
    Nice rack....what did he weigh?

Joe

Leave a comment:

• motorjock
    replied
    Jim,
    I do so happen to have a pic. And here it is......
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• JEBar
    replied
    Originally posted by Cat320 View Post
    As the late great comedian Lewis Grizzard used to say..."it sure would be a lot more interesting out there hunting...if the deer had a rifle too."
    based upon a career in NC's prison system where I spent way, way too many hours in pursuit of fleeing felons, "interesting" may be an accurate term but I can assure you it is a major understatement

Jim

Leave a comment:

• Cat320
    replied
    As the late great comedian Lewis Grizzard used to say..."it sure would be a lot more interesting out there hunting...if the deer had a rifle too."

Leave a comment:

• JEBar
    replied
    Originally posted by motorjock View Post
    Well the Gods smiled upon me and I was able to take a nice 8 point on Monday morning. He's now at the processor being made into steaks and chili/stew meat. Can't wait to make some deer chili and carne guisada. Anybody else have any luck?
    congratulations ... any pictures?

Jim

Leave a comment:

• JerzeyJoe
    replied
    My SIL is waiting for this 7 point buck to come back....

Joe
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• motorjock
    replied
    Well the Gods smiled upon me and I was able to take a nice 8 point on Monday morning. He's now at the processor being made into steaks and chili/stew meat. Can't wait to make some deer chili and carne guisada. Anybody else have any luck?

Leave a comment:

• Mike R
    replied
    Originally posted by edj View Post
    Isn't it illegal to put food or a salt lick out at a stand to draw the game in? I don't know if it is or not and do not hunt, but it does not seem very sportsmanlike. I put lots of apples out behind our house and see lots of deer there every evening and morning. Not intentional, they just fall off the apple trees...
    Normally in Michigan you can have bait piles in deer season. A deer was found in Michigan a couple of months ago with Chronic Wasting Disease (Think Mad cow) and all feeding or baiting is no longer allowed in Michigan. The reason is that multiple deer could feed off of the piles and spread the disease by simply touching noses. Actually, this is another economic impact on the state. Many growers of carrots and sugar beets, sell most of their harvest for deer season.

Leave a comment:

• motorjock
    replied
    JerzeyJoe,
    For my CFS I use the backstrap of the deer and some parts of the hindquarters. I cut them about 1 inch thick and package them into vacuum sealed bags, each weighing 2 lbs.

When preparing the CFS I season each one with seasoning salt, onion powder, garlic powder, black pepper and paprika. That seasoning that Jim JEBar uses looks good too. I then pound the heck out of it to tenderize it. I also mix some seasoning into the flour.

Then I beat a couple of eggs and mix with milk. I dip the steaks into the egg/milk, then into the seasoned flour, back into the egg/milk, back into the flour and then into the skillet. You know it's done when the steaks turn light brown and float. Remove, Drain, Smother is cream gravy and enjoy. :ready:

Leave a comment:

• motorjock
    replied
    Here's some fun one can have in deer camp. This pic came from a buddy's trail cam set up at a feeder to see what comes in when he's not there to see for himself.

This is the kind of stuff that occurs when too much alcoholic is mixed with too much idle time and a gorilla outfit.
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• motorjock
    replied
    I didn't start this thread to get into another "political/ethics" debate on the use of feeders/bait while deer hunting. However you choose to do it, so long as it's legal where you hunt, then have at it.

Deputy and EDJ,
    I know for a fact that hunters do and have for a long time, hunt in and near ag crops. Hunting over a corn field is no different that hunting over a feeder. The deer got to get their groceries somewhere.

Depending on what part of the country you live and how much land you have to hunt will dictate if you can/should use bait. In all my years of hunting I've never taken a mature buck eating at a feeder. They normally will not come to feeders. In Texas it's usually feast or famine. In dry years the deer come to feeders and in wet years they don't. Texas doesn't have many crops in the terrains that support deer so they do not get concentrated to those areas. It's almost necessary to feed corn to some degree.

I personally know my terrain well. I placed a feeder at the opposite end from where the deer bed and a distance from where they get water. I placed my stand in an area where I can catch deer traveling from the bed to the feeder or from the feeder to water.

Leave a comment:

• staggerlee
    replied
    Same Here

Originally posted by JEBar View Post
    our season begins with bow, then goes to black powder, then to modern rifle .... the length of each season and the starting dates varies from area to area across the state

Jim
    It does the same here.
    But ends in the reverse order.
    Lee

Leave a comment:

• JEBar
    replied
    our season begins with bow, then goes to black powder, then to modern rifle .... the length of each season and the starting dates varies from area to area across the state

Jim

Leave a comment:

• drfife
    replied
    Bow hunting season here in Texas runs from September 27 through October 31, 2008.

After that, break out the big guns....

Leave a comment:

• muddy princess sara
    replied
    we dont put out salt licks here on the hill, but out at the farm we use to put them out in areas for the cows. we had so many deer come in to the cow pasture that we had to call the local game warden. he issued us a free pass to shoot anything on farm land b/c the deer were passing on bugs and such. and it was already hard enough to keep the cows healthy w/o dealing with this added stuff.

so i think we eneded up shooting close to 30 deer in a 60 day process. sadly it was summer/ spring when it was too warm to save.

i kid you not when i tell you, we use to sit on the wrap around porch and shoot them with the 30 gage. we use to have a contest of who got the best shot.

btw, bow season is already in season here now. its just not getting cold enought to go tho. we had hoped to let cole go bow hunting this year but he cant pull back the cross bow with his broken collar bone

i hope those who do get out to hunt do so safely and victoriously

Leave a comment:

Working...
X