Coyotes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Coyotes

news reports indicate that our country's coyote population is rapidly spreading across the country .... I haven't seen or heard one but have been told that they are now in our part of central NC .... wide spread reports of problems abound and in NC the following coyote hunting regulations apply :

"A Coyote Hunting or Coyote Depredation Permit is required for the taking of coyotes on private lands in the counties of Beaufort, Dare, Hyde, Tyrrell, and Washington. In the counties of Beaufort, Dare, Hyde, Tyrrell, and Washington, coyote hunting on public lands is prohibited, except coyotes may be taken on state-owned game lands by the holder of a Coyote Hunting permit and a NCWRC-issued permit for specific permitted hunt opportunities for coyotes.

In all other counties of North Carolina, coyotes may be taken on private lands anytime day or night; and on public lands without a permit from the hours of one-half hour before sunrise until one-half hour after sunset, and with a permit from one-half hour after sunset to one-half hour before sunrise. " .... http://www.ncwildlife.org/Licensing/...it-description ....

historically in NC, being able to hunt a wild animal without a permit indicates the population is out of control and problems do exist

just curious, have they spread to your area and how does your state approach the issue
    Jim
    '06 SunnyBrook Titan 34BWKS
    '07 Freightliner Sportchassis
    '11 Chevy Silverado 1500
    '16 Camaro RS

There are coyotes in our daughter's neighborhood and that is a Raleigh address, but is a wooded area (near Yates Mill Pond).
    2015 Jayco Eagle 33.5RETS
    2013 Ford F250 6.7 PS Diesel Lariat Crew

Comment

Population explosion has been underway now for several years in all areas of the country. They've grown in numbers here, but not like the Wild/Feral Hog populations!
      Clayton & Gayle
      2007 SB Mobile Scout/Titan 34BWKS LX, Mor/ryde Suspension & Pin Box
      2008 F-350 SD Lariat 6.4L PSD, TorqueShift w/Tow Cmd, 3.73 LS, SRW
      Super Cab, Long Bed, Firestone Ride-Rites & a 20k Reese Pro Hitch

Comment

As many of you know I live on an Island with three bridges providing access, about 10 years ago maybe more a coyote population was noted on the island is it has exploded to the point that we have lost much of our small animal population foxes etc. They have preyed on small domestic pets, cats, dogs, and people have had run in's with them while jogging in the early morning etc. The problem is we have a kooky element of people who feel the need to feed them, there has been an education process of the residents so stop feeding them and if you can believe it two folks have been arrested and fined for feeding them.
        They have been tagged and are being followed electronically etc., but we have folks who think the coyotes need to be protected and actually raised $8K on a go fund me face book page so that one could be protected. That particular coyote was so used to being around humans that he was not running from humans but running to. It was a bad situation waiting to happen, he was eventually captured and released in a wooded rural area in northern Rhode Island on the Connecticut border.
        No wild pigs yet but who knows what is next, my nephew lives in North Eastern New Jersey and they are over run with black bears that used their deck for sunning while they are at work.
        Last edited by Westwind; 04-29-2017, 12:56 AM.
        Westwind
        Rhode Island
        2015 GMC Sierra 3500 D/A CC, Short Bed, Iridium
        2008 GMC D/A Xtended Cab, Short Bed, Stealth Grey
        Hensley TrailSaver BD3 Hitch
        2012 Heartland Bighorn 3070TL
        2002 Sunnybrook, 26FK (sold but not Forgotten)
        Hensley Arrow (Swapped for a BD3)
        sigpic

Comment

We've always had coyotes in Texas.

The feral hog population has exploded. Saw 2 adults and 4 piglets a couple of days ago while walking in Sowell Creek Park near Dublin, TX. They were not phased by our presence.
          Russell
          '13 Excel Winslow 34IKE
          '16 GMC Sierra 3500HD
          Previous RV's: '03 MobileScout Titan 29DBS;
          '01 Sunnybrook 2708 SLE; '99 Coleman Utah

Comment

We have plenty of them here.
            They are not as big a problem as the Hogs, and at times the Puma.
            When folks here deer hunt, they take the gut pile out for the coyotes.
            It don't seem to phase the population a bit.

I was night fishing at a small lake near here, and thought I was alone.
            A distant siren made the coyotes howl, and they were real close by.
            But I never seen one going in, or coming out from the lake.
            Lee & Mamie http://www.youtube.com/v/4FrGxO2Fn_Msigpic
            Buy American, The Job You Save May Be Your Own
            04 - 2500 Chevy CC Silverado - D/A
            07 - Tahoe LTZ w/tow package,
            16K Pullrite Super Slide
            2006 Excel 30RSO
            All Made In the U.S.A.

Comment

I live in the Tri-Cities area of Tenn. and they are growing around here. We live out in the country and we have a pack behind us and 2 different packs across the road in front. At night you can here them when they start I call it crying. When I take my dog out for the final constitutional before bed you can hear them. In the early mornings we have saw them running the fence line behind us going down to a pond we figure to hunt.
              2012 F-350 King Ranch DRW
              2014 Landmark Savannah

Comment

Originally posted by CWGilley View Post
                They've grown in numbers here, but not like the Wild/Feral Hog populations!
                I never knew there was a wild/feral hog issue until we took our first trip in our new RV. We had a night-time encounter, but that is a long story for another thread!
                2015 Jayco Eagle 33.5RETS
                2013 Ford F250 6.7 PS Diesel Lariat Crew

Comment

We have a few pairs that live around our area. It's really funny when the pups start learning to howl. I think one den must be about 200 yards behind us, but there is an irrigation canal about 200 feet behind our place so I can't get over there to see where they are hanging out. When they have pups, I see them hunting during the day in pasture land below and in front of our place. I've lived here since 1975 and the population seems to be pretty stable. I have never had any problem from them being that close although I know they come through my pasture. I have caught them on a game camera a few times. Last year they did take two deer fawns in my pasture, but the deer population is actually too high.

John
                  LaPorte, Colorado
                  2003 F250 Superduty 6.0 Diesel, Auto - 2004 Sunnybrook Solanta 2816 - 2004 Brakesmart - 2006 Hensley Arrow

To be Old and Wise, You Must First be Young and Stupid!

Don't do something permanently stupid just because you're temporarily upset!

Comment

Originally posted by FoxFanRay View Post
                    ...We had a night-time encounter, but that is a long story for another thread!
                    You want an experience, wander into the middle of a herd sleeping in the woods an hour before daylight. The noise is something else and they will go in every direction. Probably run over whatever is in the way. Meanwhile, you stand there shaking and glad you went to the bathroom before you left the house!
                    Clayton & Gayle

Comment

Been having them in SW Louisiana.
                      Papa Bob
                      2008 32' Brookside 275FWRKS by Sunnybrook
                      2002 Ford F250 SD 7.3L PSD
                      Trailair Equa-Flex, Riderite Air Bags
                      Champion C46540

Comment

You want an experience, wander into the middle of a herd sleeping in the woods an hour before daylight. The noise is something else and they will go in every direction. Probably run over whatever is in the way. Meanwhile, you stand there shaking and glad you went to the bathroom before you left the house!
                        Herd of what????
                        Clif and Millie
                        Mabank, TX (sorta)
                        2015 Chevrolet 3500 LTZ Allison/Duramax Dually GONE
                        2015 Heartland Cyclone CY3418 Toy Hauler GONE

Comment

A herd of wild/feral hogs.
                          Clayton & Gayle

Comment

A herd of wild/feral hogs.
                            nasty critters indeed ... a wild hog is about the only wild critter in our part of the country who is apt to charge you without provocation .... the others will usually flee if they see you first
                            Jim
                            '06 SunnyBrook Titan 34BWKS
                            '07 Freightliner Sportchassis
                            '11 Chevy Silverado 1500
                            '16 Camaro RS

Comment

Kinda late with this thread but we do indeed have a lot of yotes here, about 45 miles ENE of Dallas. I kinda doubt that y'all are hearing a "heard" of them though. A bitch with a couple pups sounds like an army. Couple years ago during one of our very rare snow falls I had two of them circling about a 10 yard diameter of cut cedar, darting in and out and around probably after a rabbit. Anyway, they were no more than 25 yards from some of my cattle (with calves). Neither paid any mind to one another. This was about 100 yards from my 2nd floor window. Kinda cool watching them.

About 25 years ago I got home from somewhere and my Doberman was nowhere to be seen. Finally found him under the house, whimpering. Finally got old Blue Star to come out and he had been bit clear to the bone at the base of his neck/top of his back. Had to take him to the vet and thankfully he survived. We found yote hair on the barbed wire surrounding the household acre so I knew right away what happened. And these things aren't that big, maybe 30 pounds. My Mom told me that as a girl on a depression era farm in Oklahoma they used to sit at their kitchen table and watch them jumping the fence. Very adaptable.
                              2010 Gulfstream Gulfbreeze 26QBS
                              2012 Dodge Ram 3500 DRW 4X4

Comment

Working...
                              X