• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
    JEBar
    Administrator

• JEBar
    replied
    it most certainly is .... the bottom line is, you can't eliminate recoil .... however, you can change felt recoil .... the series of mods we have found to do a good job of reducing felt recoil work as a package .... each mod contributes and the sum total of their efforts is truly impressive

Leave a comment:

• Joezilla

• Joezilla
    replied
    Originally posted by JEBar View Post
    in the theory, a picture is worth a thousand words category, I had Maureen take the picture below .... it shows my right shoulder after firing 100 skeet level 12 ga shells .... as can be seen, no redness, no bruising .... given the fact that I've been on blood thinners for over 2 years which cause me to bruise easily and deeply .... as noted in other post in this thread, Mag-na-porting plays a key part in the mods we make to our long and short guns to reduce felt recoil
    that's great!!

Joe

Leave a comment:

• JEBar
    Administrator

• JEBar
    replied
    in the theory, a picture is worth a thousand words category, I had Maureen take the picture below .... it shows my right shoulder after firing 100 skeet level 12 ga shells .... as can be seen, no redness, no bruising .... given the fact that I've been on blood thinners for over 2 years which cause me to bruise easily and deeply .... as noted in other post in this thread, Mag-na-porting plays a key part in the mods we make to our long and short guns to reduce felt recoil
    You do not have permission to view this gallery.
    This gallery has 1 photos.

Leave a comment:

• JEBar
    Administrator

• JEBar
    replied
    per AccuWeather, tomorrow at Jay Henges a high of 92 degrees with a "Real Feel" of 101 degrees .... which they describe as going to be "Partly sunny and pleasant" .... PLEASANT ..
    JEBar
    Administrator
    Last edited by JEBar; 06-20-2017, 01:59 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Jeff
    Administrator

• Jeff
    replied
    x2 on the water... you know what Missouri humidity is like...

Leave a comment:

• JEBar
    Administrator

• JEBar
    replied
    we sure hope to .... last year it rained all day that we had scheduled to go to the range ... the river came up and we were very lucky go get out of the campground .... not that we are concerned about that happening again this year but we have changed campgrounds ..

Leave a comment:

• avvidclif

• avvidclif
    replied
    Take lots of water..... Have fun, sounds like a great day.

Leave a comment:

• JEBar
    Administrator

• JEBar
    replied
    earlier today I took our recently Mag-na-ported 12 ga. Remington 11-87 to a sporting clays course and put it through its paces .... as already noted, being on blood thinning medication, reducing felt recoil has taken on a much higher priority for me .... most happy to report that 50 rounds later, no shoulder bruising ..

this coming Wednesday, on our way back home to NC from SD, I have a scheduled to meet 3 friends to spend the day shooting at Jay Henges State Park near St Louis .... weather permitting, I plan to fire a minimum of 100 rounds on their trap ranges (I really hope to fire 200) .... in addition, I hope to fire 50-100 cowboy action level rounds through our Mag-na-ported 45-70 .... last year rain prevented us from shooting while we were there, thankfully no rain in the forecast this year but they are calling for 90+ degrees

Leave a comment:

• JEBar
    Administrator

• JEBar
    replied
    the first firearm I ever had Mag-na-ported was our Ruger Redhawk 44 Mag .... shortly thereafter we sent them our Remington 700 BDL chambered in 300 WBY Mag and our Remington 700 all weather 30-06 .....without doubt (prior to upgrading its OEM recoil pad, adding a Mercury Recoil Suppressor, and having it Mag-na-ported) the 300 WBY had the harshest recoil of any rifle I've ever fired .... it was brutal .... so much so that it took multiple sessions to sight in the scope .... our next candidate for recoil reduction is our early edition Ruger Red Label 12 ga .... its recoil is such that it simply isn't fun to shoot
    This gallery has 5 photos.

Leave a comment:

• Joezilla

• Joezilla
    replied
    Originally posted by JEBar View Post
    today I was able to spend several hours at a range belonging to a private club in southern Minnesota .... bottom line, I was delighted with the performance of both our Henry 45-70 and Remington 11-87 that were Mag-na-ported two days ago .... as noted earlier in this thread, my motivation to reduce the felt recoil of several of our rifles and shotguns stems from the fact I have to take blood thinners and will most likely have to do so from now on .... the result is I not only bruise easily but the bruising tends to run pretty deep and takes a while to heal .... unfortunately, a stout felt recoil is characteristic of the long guns I enjoy shooting the most .... today I fired 50 Cowboy Action rounds and 24 full power Dangerous Game loads through the 45-70 .... in addition, 10 rounds of 3" 12 ga 00-buckshot and 50 12 ga skeet shells .... no bruise, color me a happy camper ... ... we were firing at steel plates of various sizes at 100 yards ... shooting from a bench with 45-70 resting on two rolled up gun case, it took me several rounds to figure out that with the Cowboy Action loads I had to hold the cross hairs just off the plate at 5 - o'clock .... after that it became fairly routine to hit the 10 and 12 inch plates .... after switching to full power loads it quickly became obvious that the zero was very different .... with them the holding the cross hairs dead center of the 3" diameter plate consistently rang the bell ... at this point, that's close enough for me .... another observation, with the rifle resting on rolled up bags, the Mag-na-porting really shined .... holding the rifle with only my right hand, there was no muzzle jump whatsoever ..
    Outstanding!!

Joe

Leave a comment:

• JEBar
    Administrator

• JEBar
    replied
    today I was able to spend several hours at a range belonging to a private club in southern Minnesota .... bottom line, I was delighted with the performance of both our Henry 45-70 and Remington 11-87 that were Mag-na-ported two days ago .... as noted earlier in this thread, my motivation to reduce the felt recoil of several of our rifles and shotguns stems from the fact I have to take blood thinners and will most likely have to do so from now on .... the result is I not only bruise easily but the bruising tends to run pretty deep and takes a while to heal .... unfortunately, a stout felt recoil is characteristic of the long guns I enjoy shooting the most .... today I fired 50 Cowboy Action rounds and 24 full power Dangerous Game loads through the 45-70 .... in addition, 10 rounds of 3" 12 ga 00-buckshot and 50 12 ga skeet shells .... no bruise, color me a happy camper ... ... we were firing at steel plates of various sizes at 100 yards ... shooting from a bench with 45-70 resting on two rolled up gun cases, it took me several rounds to figure out that with the Cowboy Action loads I had to hold the cross hairs just off the plate at 5 - o'clock .... after that it became fairly routine to hit the 10 and 12 inch plates .... after switching to full power loads it quickly became obvious that the zero was very different .... with them, holding the cross hairs dead center of the 3" diameter plate consistently rang the bell ... at this point, that's close enough for me .... another observation, with the rifle resting on rolled up bags, the Mag-na-porting really shined .... holding the rifle with only my right hand, there was no muzzle jump whatsoever ..
    JEBar
    Administrator
    Last edited by JEBar; 05-09-2017, 05:16 AM.

Leave a comment:

• JEBar
    Administrator

• JEBar
    replied
    so am I

Leave a comment:

• eldermike

• eldermike
    replied
    That 45/70 did kick a bit with full power loads. The bruise is all healed up and I look forward to testing the mod.

Leave a comment:

• JEBar
    Administrator

• JEBar
    replied
    Mag-na-porting our 45-70 is our last planned modification .... the insertion of a Mercury Recoil Suppressor in the stock cannot be seen and upgrading the recoil pad isn't readily .... the Mag-na-ported barrel can be seen below .... with us traveling I don't know when I'll get a chance to run some rounds through it but I'm sure looking forward to doing so .... over the years we have used this same combo of mods to several hard kicking rifles/shotguns and the results have been dramatic .... I don't see any reason that it won't really help this time as well

This gallery has 3 photos.

Leave a comment:

• JEBar
    Administrator

• JEBar
    replied
    I called them three or so months ago and made an appointment for Larry (closurdo) and me to come by and I'd be bringing shotguns, rifles and possibly some handguns to have them ported .... unfortunately, Larry passed away about 6 weeks ago .... we still wanted to come and visit with his widow on our way out west (realistically, we may never be back in Michigan) .... a couple of weeks ago to confirm and let them know exactly what I was bringing .... they asked be to be there when they opened at 9AM .... I was there, they were ready .... after chatting a while and looking around the waiting room I picked up Maureen and we went to visit Debbie .... they told me it should take them about 4 hours to port 3 11-87 barrels, one semi auto hand gun and two rifles and they would call me .... just over 4 hours later they called .... I was welcome to wait in the waiting room but wanted to spend as much time with Debbie as possible

Leave a comment:

Working...
X