Lewis Lead Remover

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lewis Lead Remover

back in April of last year I ordered a Lewis Lead Remover kits from Brownells for 44/45 caliber and 38 caliber rifles/pistols .... I'd never heard of this system before speaking with Mike (eldermike) who has been using it for many years and says it is the best he has seen .... in this link ===> http://www.brownells.com/gun-cleanin...prod20823.aspx can be found a video shows demonstrating how it works .... we didn't need to order the more expensive kit that comes with a Handle .... due to the amount of force needed to pull the lead remover through a barrel, an aluminum rod will not work .... the brass patches are said to last a very long time .... with most of the bullets we will be firing through our Henry 44 and 45-70 being lead, it makes sense to have such a cleaning system on hand .... my interest stemmed (for the first time) loading and firing large numbers of lead practice bullets through several different firearms .... after using this system on an as needed basis for over a year, Mike was absolutely correct .... it does a great job
    Jim
    '06 SunnyBrook Titan 34BWKS
    '07 Freightliner Sportchassis
    '11 Chevy Silverado 1500
    '16 Camaro RS

I used them mainly for cleaning forcing cones and cylinders in my match pistols. They do work great for that. Never tried on a rifle. I'm glad they are still around mine are almost 40 years old.
    Clif and Millie
    Mabank, TX (sorta)
    2015 Chevrolet 3500 LTZ Allison/Duramax Dually GONE
    2015 Heartland Cyclone CY3418 Toy Hauler GONE

Comment

apparently, Brownell has bought them and I believe they are the only source from which you can buy them
      Jim
      '11 Chevy Silverado 1500
      '16 Camaro RS

Comment

Originally posted by avvidclif View Post
        I used them mainly for cleaning forcing cones and cylinders in my match pistols. They do work great for that. Never tried on a rifle. I'm glad they are still around mine are almost 40 years old.
        good to hear of their longevity .... until purchasing our Henry rifles, we have never fired anything but Jacketed bullets .... consequently, I've never needed to deal with lead buildup .... now days lead bullets cost much less than jacketed bullets so we've started using them .... we've been told that one shouldn't fire lead and jacketed bullets through the same barrel .... they say particles left from jacketed bullets grab some lead and cause it to build up in a barrel .... we haven't seen any sign of that yet but over time that might change .... as preventative maintenance, we now pull a Lewis copper screen through our rifles after every range session .... we have see a bit of evidence of bits of lead being removed so we know the system works .... the good news is, we haven't seen any signs of a significant buildup .... we are still in the process of working up loads with various types of bullets to come up with the best paper punching and hunting loads for each rifle .... for the most part we plan to use lead for practice and jacketed for hunting
        Jim
        '11 Chevy Silverado 1500
        '16 Camaro RS

Comment

We (pistol team) did a lot of experimenting with different swaged bullets using different lubricants to determine: 1. Most accurate, 2. Least leading. Cast bullets did not have the weight consistency (read accuracy) we needed. For matches we used factory ammo but practice was all reloads, and they do have a different point of aim. One bullet mfg in the 70-80 time frame was so bad that after a 150 round practice match there would be fingers of lead sticking out of the end of the barrel. That's where the Lewis shined, cleaning up that almost smoothbore.
          Clif and Millie
          Mabank, TX (sorta)
          2015 Chevrolet 3500 LTZ Allison/Duramax Dually GONE
          2015 Heartland Cyclone CY3418 Toy Hauler GONE

Comment

I admire folks who have the skill and knowledge necessary to do a good job of casting their own lead bullets .... when we get home from our current trip we plan to run a bunch of Cowboy Actions Loads through our Chrony .... we will fire whatever number it takes to come up with an average muzzle velocity with the commercial ones we buy because we haven't had any lead issues ..... once that velocity is established, we will try to build our practice loads accordingly .... as noted earlier, we hope to come up with loads .... one practice, one deer hunting level, one dangerous game level (a load that I seriously doubt I will ever need)
            Jim
            '11 Chevy Silverado 1500
            '16 Camaro RS

Comment

I have no idea how old my original lead out kit is but I am guessing 40 years at least. I have turned my 44 into a smooth bore many times.
              2016 Jayco Pinnacle 36 RBTS
              2016 F350 DRW, Lariat
              B and W Companion hitch

...of all the liars among mankind, the fisherman is the most trustworthy. ~William Sherwood Fox, Silken Lines and Silver Hooks, 1954

Comment

Working...
              X