Shotgun??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shotgun??

I am becoming interested in purchasing a shotgun. I don't know why.......perhaps for home defense. I do not ever see myself using it for hunting purposes. I am not sure whether I want a pump or a semi automatic. Do you have any shotguns that put a smile on your face? Tell me about yours. Perhaps I need one just like it.

Joe
    Joe and Debbie Gilbert
    On the Road Fulltime Since 7/14/08

2016 DRV Mobile Suites 43' Atlanta fifth wheel home on wheels

2017 Ram 3500 Laramie 4x4 4.10, Factory rear air suspension

Officially RETIRED!!
    Catch me if you can!!

because they use part of the recoil to operate the action, semi auto shotguns (out of the box) will have less felt recoil .... while we have pump, over and under, side by side double barrel style shotguns, our 70's model Remington 11-87 gets almost 100% of our use .... you will have a much larger shell selection in 12 ga .... 20 ga has some advantages but if I could only have one, it would be a 12 ga .... new semi autos can get expensive and some of the big name brands have cut quality .... if I was looking for one today, I'd check gun stores, pawn shops, and Cabela's for an older 11-87 .... below is a picture of our Remington 11-87 on top and even older Remington 1100 on the bottom .... I've gotten to where I enjoy shooting trap, skeet, sporting clays and have been able to do so in many different parts of the country
    You do not have permission to view this gallery.
    This gallery has 1 photos.
    Jim
    '06 SunnyBrook Titan 34BWKS
    '07 Freightliner Sportchassis
    '11 Chevy Silverado 1500
    '16 Camaro RS

Comment

Find an old Ithaca model 37 pump.Take the plug out of the magazine. Shorten the barrel to 20 inches.
      1 ounce birdshot loads don't kick, but will clear the hallway.
      Actually just racking the action will clear the hallway of anyone but an idiot!
      It's ambidextrous since it ejects spent shells out the bottom of the action . Not to the right like nearly all semi automatics or new pump actions.
      You will have a good self defense weapon that will handle anything from birdshot to slugs and won't have a 30 inch barrel to interfere with your movements.
      It is also a great close quarters grouse and quail gun if you are quick enough. Be sure to save the magazine plug for hunting if you choose to use it for that purpose.
      Last edited by ColoradoNative; 07-11-2017, 06:23 PM.

John
      LaPorte, Colorado
      2003 F250 Superduty 6.0 Diesel, Auto - 2004 Sunnybrook Solanta 2816 - 2004 Brakesmart - 2006 Hensley Arrow

To be Old and Wise, You Must First be Young and Stupid!

Don't do something permanently stupid just because you're temporarily upset!

Comment

I purchased a Mossberg 500 Tactical - 8 Shot 20 gauge model #54300 loaded with buck shot for home defense. It's not a hunting shotgun. The recoil with a 20 is better for my wife than a 12.
        Russell
        '13 Excel Winslow 34IKE
        '16 GMC Sierra 3500HD
        Previous RV's: '03 MobileScout Titan 29DBS;
        '01 Sunnybrook 2708 SLE; '99 Coleman Utah

Comment

I have a Remington 870 pump, and an 1100 semi-auto. Both are around 30 years old and perform flawlessly to this day.

Comment

Have a Mossberg 410 pump for home
            Frank and Janet Henn
            Traveling with Hoover and Rainbow the Wonder dogs and Now with Sunshine the rescue Schnauzer
            2008 CrossRoads Cruiser CF32BL Pushing a 2007 Dodge 2500 CDT with a six speed Automaticsigpic
            out of Brandon Mississippi

Comment

I've heard good things about Mossberg. I guess one reason I am leaning towards a Mossberg pump is that you can get an adapter for it to be able to fire the Aguila mini shells. For an almost zero recoil 12 gauge, that would be the cats meow.

Joe
              Joe and Debbie Gilbert
              On the Road Fulltime Since 7/14/08

2016 DRV Mobile Suites 43' Atlanta fifth wheel home on wheels

2017 Ram 3500 Laramie 4x4 4.10, Factory rear air suspension

Officially RETIRED!!
              Catch me if you can!!

Comment

Not a huge fan of a shotgun for home defense because of the pattern of shot may find a member of the house hold. Make sure you know where every one is in the house. Shooting into a hallway can penetrate walls into unintended rooms
                Greg

2014 Ford Super Duty Diesel Platinum Package Tuxedo black
                2014 Landmark Grand Canyon 39 ft.
                Andersen Hitch

Comment

Contrary to popular belief a shotgun does not scatter like everyone thinks. At 25' the pattern may be 6-8". At the NRA National Police Champsionship matches they have a course of fire for the 20" barrel riot shotgun (pump, no choke, IE cylinder bore). Shooting 00 Buck at 25 yds at a silhouette target is part of it and the hardest part. Reason being at 25 yds the buckshot pattern is abt 18" wide, About the same as the target. Now fire 5 rounds in 10 sec standing and try to max the score, black is 5 and anything else zero. Tough.
                  Clif and Millie
                  Mabank, TX (sorta)
                  2015 Chevrolet 3500 LTZ Allison/Duramax Dually GONE
                  2015 Heartland Cyclone CY3418 Toy Hauler GONE

Comment

Originally posted by avvidclif View Post
                    Contrary to popular belief a shotgun does not scatter like everyone thinks. At 25' the pattern may be 6-8". At the NRA National Police Champsionship matches they have a course of fire for the 20" barrel riot shotgun (pump, no choke, IE cylinder bore). Shooting 00 Buck at 25 yds at a silhouette target is part of it and the hardest part. Reason being at 25 yds the buckshot pattern is abt 18" wide, About the same as the target. Now fire 5 rounds in 10 sec standing and try to max the score, black is 5 and anything else zero. Tough.
                    At the length of the average hallway, a small load (1 ounce is plenty) of number 6 or 7 1/2 shot is going to be possibly 2 inches wide and will be very lethal. A shotgun is much easier to point accurately than a pistol. Additionally, that shotgun muzzle will look like a bushel basket to the person facing it.

I'll take my short barrel 12 gauge pump any day against some punk with a stolen handgun.

John
                    LaPorte, Colorado
                    2003 F250 Superduty 6.0 Diesel, Auto - 2004 Sunnybrook Solanta 2816 - 2004 Brakesmart - 2006 Hensley Arrow

To be Old and Wise, You Must First be Young and Stupid!

Don't do something permanently stupid just because you're temporarily upset!

Comment

Working...
                    X