Caldwell Lead Sled DFT 2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Caldwell Lead Sled DFT 2

I've been researching a Caldwell Lead Sled DFT since early December of last year .... they have recently come out with with a new model they have named the Caldwell Lead Sled DFT 2 .... after much thought I decided to "pull the trigger" so to speak and order one ... I'm convinced that using it can help take out some of the human wobble when trying to shoot groups .... once I figure out just how small of a group (at various ranges) the rifle is capable of shooting, it then becomes my goal see just how close I can come to making it do so

initially I envision its major uses to be :

1. helping sight in scopes on 10 rifles

2. patterning various types of shotgun shells in 4 different shotguns, each with up to 5 different choke tubes

3. development of both hunting and practice loads in 7 different calibers with various grain bullets in each

it is supposed to arrive Friday and I'm looking forward to using it .

Amazon.com : Caldwell 336677 Lead Sled Dft 2 : Sports & Outdoors
    Last edited by JEBar; 07-13-2017, 02:20 AM.
    Jim
    '06 SunnyBrook Titan 34BWKS
    '07 Freightliner Sportchassis
    '11 Chevy Silverado 1500
    '16 Camaro RS

in the last 50 years there is no telling how many scopes I have sighted in .... do I have to have a Lead Sled to sight in a scope, absolutely not .... that being said, the video shown in the first link provides a pretty good look at why I'm really looking forward to using a Lead Sled

Jim
    '11 Chevy Silverado 1500
    '16 Camaro RS

Comment

another, shorter, video showing how using a Lead Sled allows one person to easily sight in a rifle (I love the British accents)

Jim
      '11 Chevy Silverado 1500
      '16 Camaro RS

Comment

They do work fine for general sporting rifle accuracy. In the extreme world of bench rest accuracy the free movement of the rifle is important and rail guns allow full motion for the same reason. Some rest shooters don't touch the stock with any part of the body and use the shoulder as a bump stop. This method is useless on hard recoiling rounds because the space would allow the bump to become a bruise causing blow, but those rounds are not shot for extreme accuracy in the first place.
        2016 Jayco Pinnacle 36 RBTS
        2016 F350 DRW, Lariat
        B and W Companion hitch

...of all the liars among mankind, the fisherman is the most trustworthy. ~William Sherwood Fox, Silken Lines and Silver Hooks, 1954

Comment

understood and agree .... wish I could say I am but I'm not now, nor ever have been in "the extreme world of bench rest accuracy" category .... as noted above, my interest is in sighing in hunting level scopes and developing various loads
          Last edited by JEBar; 07-13-2017, 07:47 PM.
          Jim
          '11 Chevy Silverado 1500
          '16 Camaro RS

Comment

And to properly evaluate those developing loads requires a chronograph. Go that on your shopping list????
            Clif and Millie
            Mabank, TX (sorta)
            2015 Chevrolet 3500 LTZ Allison/Duramax Dually GONE
            2015 Heartland Cyclone CY3418 Toy Hauler GONE

Comment

Originally posted by avvidclif View Post
              And to properly evaluate those developing loads requires a chronograph. Go that on your shopping list????
              have had one since the '80's .... she's a bit beat-up (nothing Duct Tape has been able to cure) but still gives a good reading .... I'd love to have one of the new models that keeps and prints a record but that ain't in the cards .... well, at least its not unless I was to make a mistake and shoot it instead of shooting through it ..
              Jim
              '11 Chevy Silverado 1500
              '16 Camaro RS

Comment

Originally posted by JEBar View Post
                another, shorter, video showing how using a Lead Sled allows one person to easily sight in a rifle (I love the British accents)
                That is a great video for sighting in a rifle quickly!

Joe
                Joe and Debbie Gilbert
                On the Road Fulltime Since 7/14/08

2016 DRV Mobile Suites 43' Atlanta fifth wheel home on wheels

2017 Ram 3500 Laramie 4x4 4.10, Factory rear air suspension

Officially RETIRED!!
                Catch me if you can!!

Comment

agree .... that is the method we use but it takes 2 people .... one to hold the rifle steady and the other to turn the adjustment knobs .... at times, the person holding the rifle will wobble a little during the process and than can make a big difference
                  Jim
                  '11 Chevy Silverado 1500
                  '16 Camaro RS

Comment

I really get a kick out of the caution, "So now we're ready to take the first shot. But always remember to remove the bore sighter first." .... you know that's stated because someone didn't do so ..!!!
                    Jim
                    '11 Chevy Silverado 1500
                    '16 Camaro RS

Comment

Originally posted by JEBar View Post
                      I really get a kick out of the caution, "So now we're ready to take the first shot. But always remember to remove the bore sighter first." .... you know that's stated because someone didn't do so ..!!!
                      I wondered about that too. ha

Joe
                      Joe and Debbie Gilbert
                      On the Road Fulltime Since 7/14/08

2016 DRV Mobile Suites 43' Atlanta fifth wheel home on wheels

2017 Ram 3500 Laramie 4x4 4.10, Factory rear air suspension

Officially RETIRED!!
                      Catch me if you can!!

Comment

per Amazon tracking, the Sled is out for delivery .... I hope to put together today and test it over the weekend
                        Jim
                        '11 Chevy Silverado 1500
                        '16 Camaro RS

Comment

I understand it uses bags of lead shot for weight. Got yours?
                          Clif and Millie
                          Mabank, TX (sorta)

Comment

you are correct .... a set of 4 bags ===> https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1 <=== are supposed to arrive today .... I have some handmade sandbags we keep in a milk crate .... use them as rest when firing from our portable bench .... will use them with the Sled until I can fill the new ones .... would like to fill them with lead shot but buying a hundred pounds is a bit out of the question .... the sand in our homemade ones literally came from the Carolina beach .... it is very fine grained and really works well .... unfortunately we don't anticipate being back down that way any time soon
                            Jim
                            '11 Chevy Silverado 1500
                            '16 Camaro RS

Comment

4 bags is 100 lbs. Be hard to match that in sand. I haven't priced shot in 25 years and I'm guessing it is ridiculous due to the EPA. I have several shot bags of sand for sighting in purposes and weighed one. 5.2 lbs....
                              Clif and Millie
                              Mabank, TX (sorta)

Comment

Working...
                              X