stock Henry 44 mag at 100 yds

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• stock Henry 44 mag at 100 yds

the more we use and learn about modern day Henry rifles, the more impressed we become .... saying right up front, the fellow in this video is way out of my league .... to me it speaks volumes about what a stock Henry is capable of in the hands of someone who really knows how to shoot
    Last edited by JEBar; 07-23-2017, 12:39 AM.
    Jim
    '06 SunnyBrook Titan 34BWKS
    '07 Freightliner Sportchassis
    '11 Chevy Silverado 1500
    '04 Sea Pro 180DC
    '17 Elio reserved

Much too good shooting for me to even be on the same range with this guy!!

Joe
    Joe and Debbie Gilbert
    On the Road Fulltime Since 7/14/08

2016 DRV Mobile Suites 43' Atlanta fifth wheel home on wheels

2017 Ram 3500 Laramie 4x4 4.10, Factory rear air suspension

Officially RETIRED!!
    Catch me if you can!!

Comment

the two of us would have a bunch of company in that group ..
      Jim
      '11 Chevy Silverado 1500
      '04 Sea Pro 180DC
      '17 Elio reserved

Comment

UPDATE ;

OK, I still freely admit to not being anywhere near the class of the shooter in the video .... am pretty dang sure that will always be the case .... earlier today I visited our oldest son's range .... since the early 60's our 44 Mag hunting load in our former Ruger Blackhawk and current Redhawk revolvers has been 23.8 gr of W296 pushing a 240 gr Nosler JHP .... as a point of clarification, I've never found the the brand of shell casing or primer makes any difference .... that said over time we have come to prefer Starline brass and CCI Large Pistol Magnum Primers .... the scope on our Henry is sighted in for a practice load using cast bullets which I have no plans to ever use again .... my objective for today was to test our long standing handgun load in our Henry BBS 44 Mag rifle to determine how well it would group them at 50 yards .... the target below shows the results of 50 rounds fired while seated and using a shaky, at best, rest for the rifle's forearm .... light crosswind that I don't believe played a significant part .... all in all, I'm well pleased and can now move on to sighting in the scope .... to do so we will run 10 or so rounds through a chrony and feed the results into a ballistic's program .... initially I'm considering zeroing at 150 yards but much will depend on the trajectory determined by the ballistics program
        Last edited by JEBar; 08-24-2018, 10:18 PM.
        Jim
        '11 Chevy Silverado 1500
        '04 Sea Pro 180DC
        '17 Elio reserved

Comment

Not shabby at all. When you sight it in at 150 yds the Military has some charts for mortar rounds that might help........Ducking and running.
          Clif and Millie
          Mabank, TX (sorta)
          2015 Chevrolet 3500 LTZ Duramax Diesel Dually
          2015 Heartland Cyclone CY3418 Toy Hauler

Comment

I'll post the trajectory as shown by the ballistics program .... a while back I ran a sample based on speeds posted in the loading manual and was pleasantly surprised
            Jim
            '11 Chevy Silverado 1500
            '04 Sea Pro 180DC
            '17 Elio reserved

Comment

haven't been able to get back out to the range, its simply to dang hot ..... did run a sample ballistics trajectory and came up with the following :

numbers taken from Nosler's latest reloading manual .... using the same load in the 50 rounds fired at the Elk target shown above ===> 23.8 gr W296 pushing a Nosler 240 gr JHP with a ballistics coefficient of 0.173 generating a muzzle velocity of 1723 fps with a Zero set for 125 yards

44 Mag
              DISTANCE/TRAJECTORY/ENERGY

25 yards / +.6" / 1427.1 ft lbs

50 yards / +2" / 1266.2 ft lbs

75 yards / +2.4" / 1123.5 ft lbs

100 yards / +1.8" / 998.4 ft lbs

125 yards / 0.0 / 890.1 ft lbs

150 yards / -3.1" / 797.8 ft lbs

in my mind that is an excellent big game hunting round for out to 150 yards .... from the muzzle out to 150 yards pretty much allows the crosshairs to be placed in the center of the kill zone
              Last edited by JEBar; 08-27-2018, 06:07 PM.
              Jim
              '11 Chevy Silverado 1500
              '04 Sea Pro 180DC
              '17 Elio reserved

Comment

Not bad....
                Clif and Millie
                Mabank, TX (sorta)
                2015 Chevrolet 3500 LTZ Duramax Diesel Dually
                2015 Heartland Cyclone CY3418 Toy Hauler

Comment

Originally posted by JEBar View Post
                  UPDATE ;

OK, I still freely admit to not being anywhere near the class of the shooter in the video .... am pretty dang sure that will always be the case .... earlier today I visited our oldest son's range .... since the early 60's our 44 Mag hunting load in our former Ruger Blackhawk and current Redhawk revolvers has been 23.8 gr of W296 pushing a 240 gr Nosler JHP .... as a point of clarification, I've never found the the brand of shell casing or primer makes any difference .... that said over time we have come to prefer Starline brass and CCI Large Pistol Magnum Primers .... the scope on our Henry is sighted in for a practice load using cast bullets which I have no plans to ever use again .... my objective for today was to test our long standing handgun load in our Henry BBS 44 Mag rifle to determine how well it would group them at 50 yards .... the target below shows the results of 50 rounds fired while seated and using a shaky, at best, rest for the rifle's forearm .... light crosswind that I don't believe played a significant part .... all in all, I'm well pleased and can now move on to sighting in the scope .... to do so we will run 10 or so rounds through a chrony and feed the results into a ballistic's program .... initially I'm considering zeroing at 150 yards but much will depend on the trajectory determined by the ballistics program
                  Dang Jim, you are a sandbagger! Excellent shooting!

Joe
                  Joe and Debbie Gilbert

Officially RETIRED!!
                  Catch me if you can!!

Comment

kind words appreciated .... hopefully, someday, you guys will come through our area and we can send some rounds down range ....
                    Jim
                    '11 Chevy Silverado 1500
                    '04 Sea Pro 180DC
                    '17 Elio reserved

Comment

Originally posted by JEBar View Post
                      kind words appreciated .... hopefully, someday, you guys will come through our area and we can send some rounds down range ....
                      I would like that immensely!

Joe
                      Joe and Debbie Gilbert

Officially RETIRED!!
                      Catch me if you can!!

Comment

as would I .... the invite most certainly stands
                        Jim
                        '11 Chevy Silverado 1500
                        '04 Sea Pro 180DC
                        '17 Elio reserved

Comment

Working...