stock Henry 44 mag at 100 yds

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• stock Henry 44 mag at 100 yds

the more we use and learn about modern day Henry rifles, the more impressed we become .... saying right up front, the fellow in this video is way out of my league .... to me it speaks volumes about what a stock Henry is capable of in the hands of someone who really knows how to shoot
    Last edited by JEBar; 07-23-2017, 01:39 AM.
    Jim
    '06 SunnyBrook Titan 34BWKS
    '07 Freightliner Sportchassis
    '11 Chevy Silverado 1500
    '04 Sea Pro 180DC
    '17 Elio reserved

Much too good shooting for me to even be on the same range with this guy!!

Joe
    Joe and Debbie Gilbert
    On the Road Fulltime Since 7/14/08

2016 DRV Mobile Suites 43' Atlanta fifth wheel home on wheels

2017 Ram 3500 Laramie 4x4 4.10, Factory rear air suspension

Officially RETIRED!!
    Catch me if you can!!

Comment

the two of us would have a bunch of company in that group ..
      Jim
      '11 Chevy Silverado 1500
      '04 Sea Pro 180DC
      '17 Elio reserved

Comment

UPDATE ;

OK, I still freely admit to not being anywhere near the class of the shooter in the video .... am pretty dang sure that will always be the case .... earlier today I visited our oldest son's range .... since the early 60's our 44 Mag hunting load in our former Ruger Blackhawk and current Redhawk revolvers has been 23.8 gr of W296 pushing a 240 gr Nosler JHP .... as a point of clarification, I've never found the the brand of shell casing or primer makes any difference .... that said over time we have come to prefer Starline brass and CCI Large Pistol Magnum Primers .... the scope on our Henry is sighted in for a practice load using cast bullets which I have no plans to ever use again .... my objective for today was to test our long standing handgun load in our Henry BBS 44 Mag rifle to determine how well it would group them at 50 yards .... the target below shows the results of 50 rounds fired while seated and using a shaky, at best, rest for the rifle's forearm .... light crosswind that I don't believe played a significant part .... all in all, I'm well pleased and can now move on to sighting in the scope .... to do so we will run 10 or so rounds through a chrony and feed the results into a ballistic's program .... initially I'm considering zeroing at 150 yards but much will depend on the trajectory determined by the ballistics program
        Last edited by JEBar; 08-24-2018, 11:18 PM.
        Jim
        '11 Chevy Silverado 1500
        '04 Sea Pro 180DC
        '17 Elio reserved

Comment

Not shabby at all. When you sight it in at 150 yds the Military has some charts for mortar rounds that might help........Ducking and running.
          Clif and Millie
          Mabank, TX (sorta)
          2015 Chevrolet 3500 LTZ Duramax Diesel Dually
          2015 Heartland Cyclone CY3418 Toy Hauler
          2005 HD Dyna Super Glide

Comment

I'll post the trajectory as shown by the ballistics program .... a while back I ran a sample based on speeds posted in the loading manual and was pleasantly surprised
            Jim
            '11 Chevy Silverado 1500
            '04 Sea Pro 180DC
            '17 Elio reserved

Comment

haven't been able to get back out to the range, its simply to dang hot ..... did run a sample ballistics trajectory and came up with the following :

numbers taken from Nosler's latest reloading manual .... using the same load in the 50 rounds fired at the Elk target shown above ===> 23.8 gr W296 pushing a Nosler 240 gr JHP with a ballistics coefficient of 0.173 generating a muzzle velocity of 1723 fps with a Zero set for 125 yards

44 Mag
              DISTANCE/TRAJECTORY/ENERGY

25 yards / +.6" / 1427.1 ft lbs

50 yards / +2" / 1266.2 ft lbs

75 yards / +2.4" / 1123.5 ft lbs

100 yards / +1.8" / 998.4 ft lbs

125 yards / 0.0 / 890.1 ft lbs

150 yards / -3.1" / 797.8 ft lbs

in my mind that is an excellent big game hunting round for out to 150 yards .... from the muzzle out to 150 yards pretty much allows the crosshairs to be placed in the center of the kill zone
              Last edited by JEBar; 08-27-2018, 07:07 PM.
              Jim
              '11 Chevy Silverado 1500
              '04 Sea Pro 180DC
              '17 Elio reserved

Comment

Not bad....
                Clif and Millie
                Mabank, TX (sorta)
                2015 Chevrolet 3500 LTZ Duramax Diesel Dually
                2015 Heartland Cyclone CY3418 Toy Hauler
                2005 HD Dyna Super Glide

Comment

Originally posted by JEBar View Post
                  UPDATE ;

OK, I still freely admit to not being anywhere near the class of the shooter in the video .... am pretty dang sure that will always be the case .... earlier today I visited our oldest son's range .... since the early 60's our 44 Mag hunting load in our former Ruger Blackhawk and current Redhawk revolvers has been 23.8 gr of W296 pushing a 240 gr Nosler JHP .... as a point of clarification, I've never found the the brand of shell casing or primer makes any difference .... that said over time we have come to prefer Starline brass and CCI Large Pistol Magnum Primers .... the scope on our Henry is sighted in for a practice load using cast bullets which I have no plans to ever use again .... my objective for today was to test our long standing handgun load in our Henry BBS 44 Mag rifle to determine how well it would group them at 50 yards .... the target below shows the results of 50 rounds fired while seated and using a shaky, at best, rest for the rifle's forearm .... light crosswind that I don't believe played a significant part .... all in all, I'm well pleased and can now move on to sighting in the scope .... to do so we will run 10 or so rounds through a chrony and feed the results into a ballistic's program .... initially I'm considering zeroing at 150 yards but much will depend on the trajectory determined by the ballistics program
                  Dang Jim, you are a sandbagger! Excellent shooting!

Joe
                  Joe and Debbie Gilbert

Officially RETIRED!!
                  Catch me if you can!!

Comment

kind words appreciated .... hopefully, someday, you guys will come through our area and we can send some rounds down range ....
                    Jim
                    '11 Chevy Silverado 1500
                    '04 Sea Pro 180DC
                    '17 Elio reserved

Comment

Originally posted by JEBar View Post
                      kind words appreciated .... hopefully, someday, you guys will come through our area and we can send some rounds down range ....
                      I would like that immensely!

Joe
                      Joe and Debbie Gilbert

Officially RETIRED!!
                      Catch me if you can!!

Comment

as would I .... the invite most certainly stands
                        Jim
                        '11 Chevy Silverado 1500
                        '04 Sea Pro 180DC
                        '17 Elio reserved

Comment

for background, refer back to post 7 .... earlier today I got a chance to run 44 Mag loads outlined above through our Chrony .... the results were interesting

fired from a Ruger Redhawk with a 7.5" barrel .... Nosler Manual Projected Muzzle Velocity - 1450 ft per sec .... average Chrony reading - 1444 ft per sec ....

extrapolated trajectory : 25 yds / + 0.2" .... 50 yds / + 0.7" .... 75 yds / 0.0" .... 100 yds / -2.2"

fired from a Henry BBS with a 20" barrel .... Nosler Manual Projected Muzzle Velocity - 1723 ft per sec .... average Chrony reading - 1748 ft per sec ....

extrapolated trajectory : 25 yds / +0.6" .... 50 yds / +1.9" .... 75 yds / +2.3" .... 100 yds / + 1.7" .... 125 yds / 0.0" .... 150 yds / -3.0"

well pleased with both so our next step will be to sight in both 44's at 25 yards
                          Last edited by JEBar; 10-24-2018, 05:07 PM.
                          Jim
                          '11 Chevy Silverado 1500
                          '04 Sea Pro 180DC
                          '17 Elio reserved

Comment

a while back, after literally firing tens of thousands of rounds, the ejector spring in our Henry BBS 44 Mag broke and had to be replaced .... a call to Henry quickly had a replacement spring on the way .... after it arrived and was installed, a trip to a family range revealed a new issue .... the magazine was loaded 10 times with 10 rounds .... each time the first 9 rounds fired and ejected properly .... unfortunately, each time the 10th round fired but didn't eject ..... working the lever pulled the round out of the chamber and pivoted the open part of the case out of the ejection port .... a subsequent call to Henry on 11-9-18 resulted in them saying our 44 needed to be returned for warranty service .... since it was going back I asked them to take a look at several screw that tended to work loose after firing several hundred rounds .... our rifle returned yesterday .... the sheet inside said they "Replaced extractor, ejector, and screws." .... thankfully, the rain is coming but hasn't reached here yet .... this morning I took our 44 over to one of our sons where we remounted the scope .... with the way it was removed and reinstalled, we anticipated the crosshairs to be pretty close and thankfully they were .... for right now in the first target shown below, disregard the bottom right area .... the 28 bullet holes shown on the rest of the target were created while sighing in at 25 yards, then moving to 50 yards, on back to 75 yards, and then finally at 100 yards .... at such times we aim at a designated spot on the target and then adjust as needed .... the second picture shows a target from back on August 24th showing 50 rounds fired at 50 yards .... the third shows the blacked out area seen in the first picture .... it is the results of firing 100 rounds at 100 yards ... conditions were as close to perfect as it can get around here .... no wind, sunny day, 65 degree temp .... the shots were fired while seated at a portable shooting bench and a Matrix rest under the forestock .... in addition to resighting the scope, we also wanted to test and see if the repairs made at Henry corrected the ejection problem .... happy to report, all's good, no ejection issues .... as before we loaded the magazine 10 times with 10 rounds .... all fired, all ejected ... there is no doubt in my mind the the rife firing our loads is capable of a much tighter 100 yard group .... hopefully one day I might be able to make it do so .... as a final comment, I don't do much offhand shooting anymore but I reserved 3 rounds to fire, offhand, at a torso metal silhouette at 135 yards on our way out of the range .... I have no idea where I hit but the I sure enjoyed hearing the ring all three times .... needless to say, we are very pleased with our rifle and with the work Henry's staff did to it
                            Jim
                            '11 Chevy Silverado 1500
                            '04 Sea Pro 180DC
                            '17 Elio reserved

Comment

Glad that Henry is performing well again for you!!

Joe
                              Joe and Debbie Gilbert

Officially RETIRED!!
                              Catch me if you can!!

Comment

Working...
                              X