No announcement yet.

New Toy

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

That is a sweet little rifle! Your grandson will be thrilled that one! Last week a purchased a Ruger American in 30.06 in a black synthetic stock and black matte finish. I put a Barska 3x9x40 scope on it. It is a little lower end scope than what you used but I have had very good success with them. My shots are probable 100 yards at the absolute longest because of the hilly terrain around here. I have a local retired guy putting together some custom loads for it. It has been his hobby for years and he is very reasonable with his ammo. I really like the stainless like you got but the deal I got on this one I couldn't let it get away! The next one will be stainless! LOL! I put a butt stock shell holder on it and a strap that is cammo and black. It looks pretty good!

Ron
    -2014 Open Range Roamer RT288FLR TT
    -2007.5 Dodge Ram 2500 4X4 Mega Cab 6.7 CTD 6-Speed 68RFE Auto
    -2005 Hensley Arrow
    -2001 Ebbtibe 210 Fun Cruiser Power Boat - SOLD
    -2000 Sunnybrook 26FK - SOLD
    -1996 Dodge Ram 2500 Ext Cab 4X4 5.9 CTD - SOLD

Comment

Here he is trying it on for size. Today we took it to the range and he fell in love. Gave it 10 thumbs up. Likes it better than the 10-22 I put a collapsible stock on. At 35 yds he was shooting most in a 3" circle with a few oops that went up to abt 6" out. We (my son & I) just kept filling the 10 rd magazines for him and sitting them on the bench. I bought a Butler Creek loader for the 10-22 magazines and it takes longer to say it than to fill a magazine. Really slick. I should have gotten some pics today but was having too much fun watching.
      Clif and Millie
      Mabank, TX (sorta)
      2009 Ford Lariat F350 SRW CC
      2015 Heartland Cyclone CY3418 Toy Hauler

Comment

my respects .... you are helping him make memories that he will treasure for a lifetime ....
        Jim
        '06 SunnyBrook Titan 34BWKS
        '07 Freightliner Sportchassis
        '11 Chevy Silverado 1500
        '04 Sea Pro 180DC
        '17 Elio reserved

Comment

Yep and his Dad has already said anytime I want I can grab him and go shooting. Like after school when his dad and mom are still working and the older kids have things to do. It's only 8 mi from his house to the range....
          Clif and Millie
          Mabank, TX (sorta)

Comment

I managed to go out to the range yesterday. Range conditions were tough. Gusting wind up to 30 MPH from right front. Stayed at 100yds because of it. I changed the scope mount to a 20mil as I was running out of UP. Went out to sight it in. The Howa is 2" high at 100 which is where I wanted it. Here's a group. Shooting Hornady American Gunner 6.5CM (it's cheap) High left is first shot at 100yds. Adjusted sights and the other is a 5 shot group. I shot one more group and quit, was getting dust in my eyes and in general not very good conditions.
            Attached Files
            Clif and Millie
            Mabank, TX (sorta)

Comment

nicely done under any conditions
              Jim
              '11 Chevy Silverado 1500
              '04 Sea Pro 180DC
              '17 Elio reserved

Comment

What he said.
                Clayton & Gayle
                2007 SB Mobile Scout/Titan 34BWKS LX, Mor/ryde Suspension & Pin Box
                2008 F-350 SD Lariat 6.4L PSD, TorqueShift w/Tow Cmd, 3.73 LS, SRW
                Super Cab, Long Bed, Firestone Ride-Rites & a 20k Reese Pro Hitch

Comment

I thank both of you. I'm having a ball with shooting again and I like it.
                  Clif and Millie
                  Mabank, TX (sorta)

Comment

Originally posted by avvidclif View Post
                    Well, between the gun show last weekend, a local dealer, Amazon, and Midway supply I think I have everything coming to get started up reloading again. Sure got expensive but this time around I got the good stuff up front and didn't gradually work up to it and create a box with unused. About the only thing left is to get an ultrasonic parts cleaner. Of course when I get going on reloading I'll need the LabRadar to chronograph the loads to check for velocity and deviation and save records. Then the remote camera setup to see the bullet holes at 500 yds and keep pictures of the targets with notes on them. I just thought the rifle and scope was expensive, the backup pieces aren't cheap. Oh the weather station for temp, humidity, etc.

If happiness is being in trouble, I'm in Heaven....
                    Can you post a list of what you purchased to get started with reloading? I'm thinking about getting involved and have wondered how to get started.

Joe
                    Joe and Debbie Gilbert
                    On the Road Fulltime Since 7/14/08

2016 DRV Mobile Suites 43' Atlanta fifth wheel home on wheels

2017 Ram 3500 Laramie 4x4 4.10, Factory rear air suspension

Officially RETIRED!!
                    Catch me if you can!!

Comment

how many and what calibers do you want to be able to load .... there are several good companies to choose from, I'm partial to RCBS ....I'd recommend you look at a good single stage press like the RCBS Rock Chucker Supreme .... we bought ours back in the mid 60's and still use it heavily .... a Powder Measure and digital scale .... a case tumbler would be your larger expenses ... dies, a few specialty tools will be added on a as needed basis ... my own belief is one is best served by following the manual offered by the brand of bullets he plans to use .... for the most part, we use Nosler bullets so our main resource is the Nosler manual .... in the 50 years we've been reloading we've paid for our equipment and supplies many times over ... saving money is possible but it takes a while .... another perk is being able to custom make ammo that best suits your firearm
                      Jim
                      '11 Chevy Silverado 1500
                      '04 Sea Pro 180DC
                      '17 Elio reserved

Comment

Originally posted by JEBar View Post
                        how many and what calibers do you want to be able to load ....
                        I only have 9mm, 38 special, and .357 ammo pistols, and a .223/5.56 AR 15 rifle. So those would be the calibers I would be most interested in.

Joe

Joe and Debbie Gilbert
                        On the Road Fulltime Since 7/14/08

2016 DRV Mobile Suites 43' Atlanta fifth wheel home on wheels

2017 Ram 3500 Laramie 4x4 4.10, Factory rear air suspension

Officially RETIRED!!
                        Catch me if you can!!

Comment

things change but right now, if saving money is a primary concern, there are some really good prices out that on 9 mm and 223 ammo .... with 357 and 38 you can still save by reloading .... if you enjoy developing your own loads that work best in your firearms, reloading is the way to go .... for us, reloading has come to be part of shooting that we really enjoy .... we haven't but one new caliber in the last 40 years .... that being a 45-70, the day the rifle came in, we ordered the dies and supplies ..... bought 1 box of shells when we picked it up, have fired half of them and would gladly give the rest away .... since then we have literally fired hundreds of our reloads .... for us, reloading has long been a valued hobby ... consequently, we still do reload both 9mm and 223
                          Last edited by JEBar; 11-12-2017, 12:26 AM.
                          Jim
                          '11 Chevy Silverado 1500
                          '04 Sea Pro 180DC
                          '17 Elio reserved

Comment

Sorry about the delay but we were in El Paso and a long response is no something I like to do on a laptop. Fat fingers and small keyboard. I will echo what Jim said about RCBS being good equipment. The 4 calibers you are interested in are what I consider high volume reloading as opposed to what I am doing at the moment which if I load 40 rounds it was a big session. That won't even get a 38/357, 9mm, or 223 warmed up. Depending on how much shooting you plan on doing you really need to plan on getting a turrent/progressive loader. Problem being they are harder to set up and learn than a single stage reloader but that's where you will wind up most likely and if you start there you can save some money. The items needed for either way are about the same. Here's a starter list.

1. Press, either single, turrent, or progressive
                            2, Dies for each caliber. 38 and 357 use the same dies so 38/357, 9mm, and 223. Can be used on all 3 types of presses. If you buy the carbide sets then the cases won't have to be lubed.
                            3. Powder Scales, I prefer balance beam
                            4. Powder measure
                            5. Primer seating tool either hand operated or for the press you buy
                            6. Shell holders

That is a very basic list but to make sense of all of that I suggests you buy this book and read about getting started. It will take a lot of the mystery out and all of the above will start making sense.

https://ads.midwayusa.com/product/63...loading-manual

I purchased one last weekend and when I started reading it found it to be very informative for a beginning reloader plus it has reloading tables. Realize the writer owns Lee Loaders so it's all about his products but the basics are the same no matter whose name is on the tool. You could substitute RCBS for every time he says Lee and come out the same. I will admit that I returned the book as it was just too basic for me (personal preference).

It is a very fun hobby which supports another fun hobby, unloading that ammo you loaded. GRIN
                            Clif and Millie
                            Mabank, TX (sorta)

Comment

Working...
                            X