Another New Toy, Maybe

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another New Toy, Maybe

Reading in the Reloading book i bought it seems case annealing is necessary not only to extend case life but to provide a more uniform neck tension on the bullet. Along those lines I have been looking at different methods. Some expensive and some not so. Results were what I was looking for with an eyeball on my pocketbook. Over a grand was out of the question. I started reading about hot salt annealing and it seems to provide consistency and a reasonable cost. I found this website that had all the necessary stuff except for the Lee Precision pot. It's going to cost abt $115 to get all the pieces. Plus shipping which I am finding out about.

http://ballisticrecreations.ca/

What say ye?
    Clif and Millie
    Mabank, TX (sorta)
    2009 Ford Lariat F350 SRW CC
    2015 Heartland Cyclone CY3418 Toy Hauler

interesting .... this is the first time I've ever heard of Annealing casings .... guess I need to do some reading
    Jim
    '06 SunnyBrook Titan 34BWKS
    '07 Freightliner Sportchassis
    '11 Chevy Silverado 1500
    '04 Sea Pro 180DC
    '17 Elio reserved

Comment

Cliff .... do you only need to anneal bottle neck brass ???
      Jim
      '06 SunnyBrook Titan 34BWKS
      '07 Freightliner Sportchassis
      '11 Chevy Silverado 1500
      '04 Sea Pro 180DC
      '17 Elio reserved

Comment

Originally posted by JEBar View Post
        Cliff .... do you only need to anneal bottle neck brass ???
        At some point in the process all brass will need to be annealed. Mostly depends on a combination of how many times the brass has been resized and how severe that resizing has been, What happens is it becomes "Work Hardened" and annealing softens it up again. Without annealing the brass will eventually split during the reloading process or even worse have a failure during firing. Over the years I've Neck Sized some .30-06 brass nearly 20 times without needing to anneal it.

Think of how when you Full Length Size, you will need to trim the case. That's because it grows in length with the F/L resizing process. This induces the "Work Hardening". Your brass looses the ability to "spring" back to the desires dimensions. Same thing going on if you bend a paper clip back & forth enough times. Sooner or later it breaks because it hardened in that area of the repeated bending.

All of which makes me only Neck Size when possible. That's far less stressful on the case than Full Length resizing. Which you use depends largely on the gun. Some chambers will be tight enough they won't accept a Neck Sized round. Older Browning BARs were famous for tight chambers.

All that being said, keep in mind it's no more than my $0.02 worth. It's time for my next cup of coffee.
        Clayton & Gayle
        2007 SB Mobile Scout/Titan 34BWKS LX, Mor/ryde Suspension & Pin Box
        2008 F-350 SD Lariat 6.4L PSD, TorqueShift w/Tow Cmd, 3.73 LS, SRW
        Super Cab, Long Bed, Firestone Ride-Rites & a 20k Reese Pro Hitch

Comment

Working...
        X