Time Marches On

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Time Marches On

even when I was decades younger, I think I've always been old school .... one example is, I've always believed that its best for me to practice with the same ammo that you hunt with .... I still believe that applies in most cases .... as examples, I still enjoy and have no problem with hunting loads fired from our Henry 357 & 44 Mag .... the reality is, my remaining big game hunting days are most certainly numbered (if not over) .... the reality also is, even though I've spent some serious money upgrading them to reduce felt recoil, I can no longer take the pounding from full power loads from rifles like our 45-70 and 300 WBY Mag .... with the 300 that is less of an issue because I no longer have access to a location with 300+ yard ranges .... I do have easy access to a couple of places with 100+ yard shooting ranges which lend themselves to firing the 45-70 .... consequently, if I want to continue to fire it, I'm going to have reduce the power of the ammo to Cowboy Action or sub Cowboy Action levels .... other limitations have also reached the point where they can't be ignored .... age related physical conditions have pretty well limited my off hand shooting of heavy rifles like our 45-70 to an occasional round or two .... my enjoyment of punching big holes remains so, since we can't stop the march of time, accommodations are going to have to be made
    Jim
    '06 SunnyBrook Titan 34BWKS
    '07 Freightliner Sportchassis
    '11 Chevy Silverado 1500
    '04 Sea Pro 180DC
    '17 Elio reserved

Originally posted by JEBar View Post
    even when I was decades younger, I think I've always been old school .... one example is, I've always believed that its best for me to practice with the same ammo that you hunt with .... I still believe that applies in most cases .... as examples, I still enjoy and have no problem with hunting loads fired from our Henry 357 & 44 Mag .... the reality is, my remaining big game hunting days are most certainly numbered (if not over) .... the reality also is, even though I've spent some serious money upgrading them to reduce felt recoil, I can no longer take the pounding from full power loads from rifles like our 45-70 and 300 WBY Mag .... with the 300 that is less of an issue because I no longer have access to a location with 300+ yard ranges .... I do have easy access to a couple of places with 100+ yard shooting ranges which lend themselves to firing the 45-70 .... consequently, if I want to continue to fire it, I'm going to have reduce the power of the ammo to Cowboy Action or sub Cowboy Action levels .... other limitations have also reached the point where they can't be ignored .... age related physical conditions have pretty well limited my off hand shooting of heavy rifles like our 45-70 to an occasional round or two .... my enjoyment of punching big holes remains so, since we can't stop the march of time, accommodations are going to have to be made
    Yep, getting old is not for sissies. I am reminded everyday that I am not as young as I used to be and can no longer do some of the things I used to be able to do easily. Getting old sucks!

Hang in there Jim!!

Joe
    Joe and Debbie Gilbert
    On the Road Fulltime Since 7/14/08

2016 DRV Mobile Suites 43' Atlanta fifth wheel home on wheels

2017 Ram 3500 Laramie 4x4 4.10, Factory rear air suspension

Officially RETIRED!!
    Catch me if you can!!

Comment

My suggestion is to load that thing down to whatever level you can shoot all day long and enjoy it. This is why I decided (it's a decision) to like the 30-30 win. Load on Sunday and shoot all week.
      2016 Jayco Pinnacle 36 RBTS
      2016 F350 DRW, Lariat
      B and W Companion hitch

...of all the liars among mankind, the fisherman is the most trustworthy. ~William Sherwood Fox, Silken Lines and Silver Hooks, 1954

Comment

exactly what I've decided to
        Last edited by JEBar; 04-12-2018, 01:46 AM.
        Jim
        '06 SunnyBrook Titan 34BWKS
        '07 Freightliner Sportchassis
        '11 Chevy Silverado 1500
        '04 Sea Pro 180DC
        '17 Elio reserved

Comment

We're both on the same track, all be it for different reasons. Buddy keeps telling me: "You do what you gotta do". I keep saying: "Yeah, but I don't gotta like it". In this particular activity, I do have a way out of some of the limitations. Shoot a lot more rimfire and my .223. Do love them both so it helps.
          Clayton & Gayle
          2007 SB Mobile Scout/Titan 34BWKS LX, Mor/ryde Suspension & Pin Box
          2008 F-350 SD Lariat 6.4L PSD, TorqueShift w/Tow Cmd, 3.73 LS, SRW
          Super Cab, Long Bed, Firestone Ride-Rites & a 20k Reese Pro Hitch

Comment

Working...
          X