New Loader

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Loader

Got my new Hornady Lock n Load AP in today. So far impressed with everything but the instructions. Maybe that's why there are so many instructional videos on their website? Once I get it rolling I'll post what I think about it. Out of the box, asesembled, and comparison to Rockchuker

IMG_2068 (Medium).jpegIMG_2069 (Medium).jpegIMG_2070 (Medium).jpeg
    Clif and Millie
    Mabank, TX (sorta)
    2015 Chevrolet 3500 LTZ Duramax Diesel Dually
    2015 Heartland Cyclone CY3418 Toy Hauler
    2005 HD Dyna Super Glide

nice setup .... that's the same combo we use .... bought our Rockchuker back in the mid 60's .... added a Lock n Load in Oct of 2016 .... recommend you order a couple of spare Spring Case Retainer Rings ===> https://www.amazon.com/Hornady-39237...k+n+load+parts .... during our learning process we kinked a couple of them .... its a sweet system that turns out quality ammo .... so far we haven't used it for bottle neck ammo
    Jim
    '06 SunnyBrook Titan 34BWKS
    '07 Freightliner Sportchassis
    '11 Chevy Silverado 1500
    '04 Sea Pro 180DC
    '17 Elio reserved

Comment

Like the rest of us, there's never enough room. The Machinists Chest there on your bench looks like a older Craftsman? If so it would make an ideal company to the large one I have. Can you tell me more about it?
      Clayton & Gayle
      2007 SB Mobile Scout/Titan 34BWKS LX, Mor/ryde Suspension & Pin Box
      2008 F-350 SD Lariat 6.4L PSD, TorqueShift w/Tow Cmd, 3.73 LS, SRW
      Super Cab, Long Bed, Firestone Ride-Rites & a 20k Reese Pro Hitch

Comment

Hornady's learning. It came with 2 extra springs. The tool chest is a Kennedy, not Craftsman. I have 2. Had both for over 40 years.
        Clif and Millie
        Mabank, TX (sorta)
        2005 HD Dyna Super Glide

Comment

we have found the Lock-n-Load powder measure to be very accurate .... so much so that we no longer individually weigh each powder charge prior
          Jim
          '11 Chevy Silverado 1500
          '04 Sea Pro 180DC
          '17 Elio reserved

Comment

I got the dies adjusted for 38 Special using some range PU brass. Now I can't find my stash of good brass and bullets to actually load. That will be the proof of the puddin'. So far I really like the way it works. It's very smooth. If it turns out the bullet seating die is in a inconvenience spot it takes abt a second to move it and no re-adjusting. Actually since I'm not using a taper crimp for 38's I have an empty hole and can move stuff around. Sorta balance the load as it were. The way the primer seating is set up I should be able to feel it seating like on the hand primer and that's a plus.
            Clif and Millie
            Mabank, TX (sorta)
            2005 HD Dyna Super Glide

Comment

you are probably aware of Rose Distribution .... if not, I've found them to be a good source for bulk buys of 38 spl jacketed bullets (and some other calibers as well) .... haven't tried their lead bullets
              Jim
              '11 Chevy Silverado 1500
              '04 Sea Pro 180DC
              '17 Elio reserved

Comment

I was not aware of them but they have decent pricing and the website has been saved, Thanks.

I found a bunch of little goodies that I'm ordering from Midway. Like a powder measure emptying tube, no need to remove it, just insert in place of the measuring insert and turn up. Also getting spare springs and more small primer tubes. Sigh, it never ends.
                Clif and Millie
                Mabank, TX (sorta)
                2005 HD Dyna Super Glide

Comment

I've found their jacketed hollowpoints to be consistent performers for firing at paper and steel targets .... haven't used them under hunting conditions so I don't know how they would perform
                  Jim
                  '11 Chevy Silverado 1500
                  '04 Sea Pro 180DC
                  '17 Elio reserved

Comment

Loaded 30 rnds of 125gr cast lead bullets(Hunters Supply brand on closeout at Midway). I used 4.7gr Unique in 38 cases. Fired in S&W 686 6" barrel. Low recoil (after shooting a bunch of 9's and 45's about anything would) and no signs of pressure, easy extraction. Ran across the chrono and was surprised, 16 rnds and the lowest was 1028fps all the rest were 1050 up to 1091. Really surprised me. I was looking for a med load and figured 8-900fps..
                    Clif and Millie
                    Mabank, TX (sorta)
                    2005 HD Dyna Super Glide

Comment

Working...
                    X