Fun Times

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fun Times

Going to meet a guy Sun to buy his Begara HMR in 308 cal. He built it up with a 20 MOA base and Vortex 6.5-20x50 BDC scope. Burris rings. Harris bipod. and a tuneable muzzle brake. Before he finished it he broke an ankle and can no longer walk. The range he is a member of doesn't allowed golf carts etc down range to check/change targets. It's all unfired and he's including ammo for break-in. Plus 50 rnds of match ammo. I'll let you know Sun nite how it worked out. Excited, YEP.
    Clif and Millie
    Mabank, TX (sorta)
    2015 Chevrolet 3500 LTZ Allison/Duramax Dually
    2015 Heartland Cyclone CY3418 Toy Hauler
    2005 HD Dyna Super Glide

congrats indeed .... please continue to post your observations and hopefully pictures as you become more and more familiar with your new 308
    Jim
    '06 SunnyBrook Titan 34BWKS
    '07 Freightliner Sportchassis
    '11 Chevy Silverado 1500
    '04 Sea Pro 180DC
    '17 Elio reserved

Comment

I took it out and let my son break it in, "by the book". The builder boresighted it using Wheeler tools. Must be fairly good as it was 2" high and 2" right at 100yds. That was the first 5 shots out of the barrel. The scope was then set for a 100yd zero. The first shot was high right. 8 Clicks down and 8 clicks left gave a 3 shot group centered on the bull, 2 were touching each other and the 3rd was 1/2" off low. Good enough for shots 7-8-9 out of a new rifle. He then shot a group at 200 yds of abt 1.5". At that point my grandson got into the deal and they were going back and forth from the 308 to the 6.5 Creedmoor (Howa). I gave up trying to figure out who was shooting at what. The 308 has a Vortex Viper, 6.5-20x50mm PA, Dead-Hold BDC scope on it supposedly with a built-in Bullet Drop Compensator. This one was for the 308/30-06 cartridge. Not being familiar with it I told my son how it was supposed to work and said now let's see. It has 3 hash marks on the vertical crosshair below zero. They are for 200yds, 300yds, and 400 yds. Below the 3rd mark the crosshair widened out and that point was 500 yds. We already had the 100yd zero dialed in so he set the parallax for 200yds and using the 200yd hashmark rang the steel plate (center even). Reset parallax for 300yds and rang that plate, Set for 400yds and rang it, then 500 yds and rang it. We decided it was a winner. Obviously for precision shooting and not just hitting steel plates each hash mark would have to have a little fine tuning but it sure beat using a chart to figure bullet drop and dialing it in to have a dead center hold. The 9 yr old Gson meanwhile was wearing out a bullseye target at 100 yds with a Ruger American 22LR Bolt Action. It had a bipod and a Vortex 2-7 scope. Millie was giving the falling plates on the pistol range a hard time with her 22 pistol. Overall a great day all the way around.
      Clif and Millie
      Mabank, TX (sorta)
      2015 Chevrolet 3500 LTZ Allison/Duramax Dually
      2015 Heartland Cyclone CY3418 Toy Hauler
      2005 HD Dyna Super Glide

Comment

great day indeed .... building memories .... sounds like one heck of a rifle
        Jim
        '06 SunnyBrook Titan 34BWKS
        '07 Freightliner Sportchassis
        '11 Chevy Silverado 1500
        '04 Sea Pro 180DC
        '17 Elio reserved

Comment

Working...
        X