Progressive Loaders, What to Keep?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Progressive Loaders, What to Keep?

About 2 years ago I decided I needed a progressive loader and bought a new Hornady Lock n Load and added the usual extra pieces.

Earlier this year I found a bargain on a Dillon XL650 NIB but abt 20 years old. It's still in the box. Came with a NIB Case feeder

Well I picked up a used Dillon RL550 yesterday just because it was a good deal. It's been sitting so I need to clean it up and it should be fine. It came with all original stuff plus strong mount, roller handle, and 7 spare heads. Plus 5 conversion kits and 9 sets of dies. I already had a incomplete 550 and a new powder measure head combo.

I don't need 3. I've probably loaded 200 rounds on the Hornady, just lost interest in pistol shooting. No pistol shooting no need to reload in quantity.

I have a SIL who wants to get a progressive to support his IDPA shooting. I need to keep one, sell one, and give him one. I have never used a 550 and don't know how well I would like the fact it doesn't auto index. Anyone have any feeling about that? I'm leaning towards keeping it because I have a lot of parts for it. The 650 costs abt $90 for a conversion kit to another caliber plus dies but I do have a case feeder for it. The Hornady is new and not even broken in.

Oh, I have a Rockchucker for the precision rifle stuff but that's a different deal, it's used frequently.

Thoughts?

Clif and Millie
    Mabank, TX (sorta)
    2015 Chevrolet 3500 LTZ Allison/Duramax Dually
    2015 Heartland Cyclone CY3418 Toy Hauler
    2005 HD Dyna Super Glide

we also have a Rockchucker and a Lock-n-Load .... other than to say they have an excellent reputation, I can't help with info on a Dillon .... we are heavily into both long gun and handgun shooting and have considered buying another Lock-n-Load .... the main reason is we already have all of the extras ...we could pretty well keep one setup for 223 and use the second for other calibers ....
    Jim
    '06 SunnyBrook Titan 34BWKS
    '07 Freightliner Sportchassis
    '11 Chevy Silverado 1500
    '04 Sea Pro 180DC
    '17 Elio reserved

Comment

Working...
    X