Portable Reloading Press

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Portable Reloading Press

has anyone seen the new RCBS is offering a new Summit™ Single Stage Reloading Press .... it appears to me that it cold be setup as a portable press .... I'm interested in coming up with a compact, EASY TO USE, press that I could take and use at a range when developing a new load
    Last edited by JEBar; 03-27-2020, 04:14 AM.
    Jim
    '06 SunnyBrook Titan 34BWKS
    '07 Freightliner Sportchassis
    '11 Chevy Silverado 1500
    '04 Sea Pro 180DC
    '17 Elio reserved

I don't see it as very more portable than the RockChucker. Probably weighs twice as much. Still requires a solid bench to be bolted to. Portable is the old Lyman 310 or the original Lee Loader, a hammer, and scales.
    Clif and Millie
    Mabank, TX (sorta)
    2015 Chevrolet 3500 LTZ Allison/Duramax Dually
    2015 Heartland Cyclone CY3418 Toy Hauler
    2005 HD Dyna Super Glide

Comment

good points to consider, so I looked it up

1. Rock Chucker --- 20 x 15 x 10 inches ; 20.2 pound

2. Summit --- 18 x 8 x 6 inches ; 20 pounds
      Jim
      '11 Chevy Silverado 1500
      '04 Sea Pro 180DC
      '17 Elio reserved

Comment

in addition to range work, I'd like to be able to transport it during our travels for use along the way .... in addition to a powder drop, and a few other accessories in as small of a box as possible .... the idea that has been bouncing around in my head is the box could be board to mount them .... the box could then be clamped to a campground's picnic table .... such a setup could drastically reduce the amount of loaded ammo I need to transport and give me something I enjoy doing during slower days
        Jim
        '11 Chevy Silverado 1500
        '04 Sea Pro 180DC
        '17 Elio reserved

Comment

in looking at alternatives, this RCBS looks promising .... I like the weight / size ....

RCBS Partner O-Frame Cast Aluminum Single Stage Press --- 12 x 10 x 3 inches ; 4.54 pounds
          Jim
          '11 Chevy Silverado 1500
          '04 Sea Pro 180DC
          '17 Elio reserved

Comment

the picture below shows a Summit press mounted on a portable stand that used a 2" really like the concept .... for my use I'd want the riser to be much shorter.... I'd want to be able to use it while seated in a camping chair .... I'm no longer considering the Summit, its simply too heavy and too expensive .... I believe a Partner (link above) would work well on a highly customized version of the stand pictured ....
            Last edited by JEBar; 12-22-2019, 02:15 AM.
            Jim
            '11 Chevy Silverado 1500
            '04 Sea Pro 180DC
            '17 Elio reserved

Comment

we are home and I am once again thinking about rigging up a portable reloading station that I can use both at home and while we are traveling .... as of this second, I'm strongly considering going with a Hornady Lock-N-Load Classic Reloading Press .... in keeping with the weight of the press, at 13 pounds it is lighter than the other heavy duty presses I've considered .... emotionally, I keep going back to a Rock Chucker but the $70 difference will more than pay for most of the other items I will need to purchase .... all-in-all, it appears that I need to bring an end to the theorizing and order a press .... the reality is to come up with a buildable design for the portable station I need to have the press in hand
              Jim
              '11 Chevy Silverado 1500
              '04 Sea Pro 180DC
              '17 Elio reserved

Comment

I have the RockChucker that I converted to Lock and Load. I love that system. I bought a bunch of the L&L rings. To change caliber, change shell holder, and just drop in the dies. Of course that's after they are setup. Makes it easy and they work well.
                Clif and Millie
                Mabank, TX (sorta)
                2005 HD Dyna Super Glide

Comment

What would you mount it to?
                  Jeff, Julie, Cameron, & Taylor Lockhart - Wauconda, IL

2012 F-250 FX4 6.7 Powerstroke Diesel Lariat
                  2011 Jayco 365BHS 5'er: "Cram-A-Lot Inn"

Visit our family online - www.thelockharts.com
                  Find us / "friend" us on social websites - Facebook

Comment

look at the pictures in post #6 .... I envision something like the one shown .... it can be used with the 2" receivers on our Chevy truck, Sportchassis, camper, and Trailblazer .... I also believe I can design it be removed from the box tube and clamped to a picnic table
                    Jim
                    '11 Chevy Silverado 1500
                    '04 Sea Pro 180DC
                    '17 Elio reserved

Comment

Originally posted by JEBar View Post
                      look at the pictures in post #6 .... I envision something like the one shown .... it can be used with the 2" receivers on our Chevy truck, Sportchassis, camper, and Trailblazer .... I also believe I can design it be removed from the box tube and clamped to a picnic table
                      Interesting...
                      Jeff, Julie, Cameron, & Taylor Lockhart - Wauconda, IL

2012 F-250 FX4 6.7 Powerstroke Diesel Lariat
                      2011 Jayco 365BHS 5'er: "Cram-A-Lot Inn"

Visit our family online - www.thelockharts.com
                      Find us / "friend" us on social websites - Facebook

Comment

A metal plate with holes to mount the press. The Z bracket to go to the receiver hitch. If the bracket did not extend too far under the plate it could be turned over and the press mounted on what was the bottom and it clamped to a table. The hitch adapter would extend up in the air behind the press. A little Southern Engineering on the Z bracket would yield a small bracket on one side that a powder measure could mount to and be usable in either configuration.

Come on guys surely that idea can be improved on.
                        Clif and Millie
                        Mabank, TX (sorta)
                        2005 HD Dyna Super Glide

Comment

that is basically what I'm thinking .... box tube inserted into the receiver .... threaded pipe screwed into a coupler welded onto the top of that box tube .... other end of pipe also threaded so it can be screwed into a coupler welded to the back of the plate .... unsure as to size of the plate .... may or may not have it large enough to accommodate just the press, the press and a powder measure, or even larger .... can easily use a folding TV tray for that .... such a setup would permit it to be easily disassembled for storage
                          Last edited by JEBar; 03-28-2020, 12:53 AM.
                          Jim
                          '11 Chevy Silverado 1500
                          '04 Sea Pro 180DC
                          '17 Elio reserved

Comment

thanks for the information, suggestions and comments .... right down to having my finger on the mouse to place the order, I was still jumping between the Lee Turret and Lock-n-Load Classic .... bottom line, I have ordered the Lock-n-Load .... in the end, my familiarity with the Hornady press and its Lock-n-Load design proved to be the deciding factor .... the press should be here in 4 days and once I have it I can move to designing the portable stand
                            Jim
                            '11 Chevy Silverado 1500
                            '04 Sea Pro 180DC
                            '17 Elio reserved

Comment

per Google, the preferred height of a reloading bench is 28" .... the top of the hitch shown below is 20" off of the ground .... the hitch has a 1" hole for mounting a ball .... if I get a 1" threaded pipe about 10" long to connect the hitch and a metal or wood plate, I believe I can come up with a pretty good portable reloading stand ....
                              Jim
                              '11 Chevy Silverado 1500
                              '04 Sea Pro 180DC
                              '17 Elio reserved

Comment

Working...
                              X