Bond Arms Factory Tour

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bond Arms Factory Tour

yesterday Maureen and I went on a guided tour of Bond Arms .... we were the first ones to be taken on a tour since Covid hit last year .... I did take a few pictures that show a few stations also seen in the video below .... their factory is in a relatively small, completely nondescript building that our Garmin couldn't find .... I had to call once we got close and have them direct us in over the phone .... we were told the facility's isolation is by design, I didn't ask for details as to why ? .... they are understandably cautious about pictures being taken inside their production area, the ones taken below were OK'd prior to me taking them .... they have really outstanding staff .... mostly fairly young .... they have been working 6 days a week, mostly longer than 8 hour days in an effort to keep up with demand .... while they pay close attention to their work, the atmosphere is relaxed and the staff clearly enjoys working together .... so long as their suppliers keep up, they are turning out 320 derringers a day .... their redundant quality control is most impressive .... their solid barrels come in as seen in the first two pictures and they literally do the rest ....their laser milling and other machines are most impressive .... the tour included details on their history that are fascinating .... it also included info on their innovative safety and other engineering features that we found to be very interesting .... the assembly of their trigger mechanism was fascinating to watch .... speaking of demand, the orders that come in tomorrow will be back ordered to be produced in APRIL OF 2022 .... that doesn't mean you can't get one now .... they have several major distributors who keep standing bulk orders coming .... the trick is to buy from a dealer who gets his from one of those distributors .... frankly, a derringer isn't something I've ever had any interest in buying .... that changed yesterday .... with most of their models having an MSRP north of $500 I'd still not be interested .... but they have introduced a line known as the Roughneck(MSRP $269) and another known as the Rowdy (MSRP $299) .... both are made from exactly the same components as the higher priced lines .... the difference is the stainless isn't highly polished .... the difference comes from the labor required to produce them which is much less than .... one of their benefits is they can be thrown into a glove compartment or other places .... with my arthritic hands I'm interested in a Roughneck chambered for 38/357 .... we already load light 38's which I believe would be fun to fire .... color us impressed, they have a most impressive product and organization

YouTube video of a tour

You do not have permission to view this gallery.
    This gallery has 5 photos.
    Last edited by JEBar; 03-06-2021, 04:16 PM.
    Jim
    '06 SunnyBrook Titan 34BWKS
    '07 Freightliner Sportchassis
    '11 Chevy Silverado 1500
    '16 Camaro RS

As a retired science teacher, I found the laser etching fascinating. I am trying to find out what type of laser is used. I also enjoyed the work on the barrels.

Comment

My brother carries one in his pocket as a backup. Neat little gun that you can see and feel the quality in.
      2012 F-350 King Ranch DRW
      2014 Landmark Savannah

Comment

Originally posted by 2007dura View Post
        Neat little gun that you can see and feel the quality in.
        agree .... the more I see and read about them, I'd love to have one chambered in 45LC / 410 shotshell but the recoil would prevent me from firing it unless there was a major emergency .... I understand that their 9mm has a bit less felt recoil than the 38 Spl but we don't reload that caliber .... with a good supply of 38/357 components, that's the way we will go if/when we buy one
        Jim
        '11 Chevy Silverado 1500
        '16 Camaro RS

Comment

Originally posted by JEBar View Post

agree .... the more I see and read about them, I'd love to have one chambered in 45LC / 410 shotshell but the recoil would prevent me from firing it unless there was a major emergency .... I understand that their 9mm has a bit less felt recoil than the 38 Spl but we don't reload that caliber .... with a good supply of 38/357 components, that's the way we will go if/when we buy one
          This is the one I have. Really a great little gun. I traded for it a number of years ago. Recoil not too bad, but you know you have fired it.
          Ron Norton
          Katy, TX
          2020 Ram Longhorn 2500 w/Cummins
          2019 Jayco Eagle 272 RBOK

Comment

I just found a list of the calibers they offer .... it was hidden in in plain sight in their catalog ....

3" - 410
            2 1/2" - 410
            45 Colt Shotshell
            45 Colt
            45 Auto
            45 GAP
            44-40
            44 Spl
            40 S&W
            357 Mag
            38 Spl
            327 Fed Mag
            9mm
            10mm
            380 Auto
            35 H&R
            Jim
            '11 Chevy Silverado 1500
            '16 Camaro RS

Comment

one of the neat things about Bond derringers is you can purchase additional barrels that are easy to switch .... example : the Roughneck model has a $269 MSRP .... the MSRP for an additional 2.5" barrel is $130 ... the MSRP for an additional 3" barrel is $160 .... in short, it wouldn't be a large expense to expand the number of calibers one could have on hand
              Jim
              '11 Chevy Silverado 1500
              '16 Camaro RS

Comment

we've pretty well decided to purchase a Bond derringer.... we believe it will make a good companion for my wife's concealed carry Smith J-Frame .... we believe it will make a good companion for Maureen's concealed carry Smith J-Frame .... I'm looking at their Roughneck and Rowdy lines .... the only difference between them is the length & caliber of the barrels that they come with .... the Roughneck is chambered for 38/357 and has a 2 1/2" barrel .... the Rowdy is chambered for 45LC/410 and has a 3" barrel .... the difference in MSRP is $30 which is the difference in the listed price for a 2 1/2" and 3" barrel .... what I would really like to have is a one with a 3" 38/357 barrel and that's what I'm working on now
                Last edited by JEBar; 03-13-2021, 03:46 PM.
                Jim
                '11 Chevy Silverado 1500
                '16 Camaro RS

Comment

Tyler Academy yesterday had the Roughneck in 9mm and 45ACP for $269, in stock. I was tempted.
                  Clif and Millie
                  Mabank, TX (sorta)
                  2015 Chevrolet 3500 LTZ Allison/Duramax Dually GONE
                  2015 Heartland Cyclone CY3418 Toy Hauler GONE

Comment

that's pretty much MSRP .... good to see they aren't price gouging .... if I didn't have so much arthritis in my hands I'd be very interested in the 45/410 ....
                    Jim
                    '11 Chevy Silverado 1500
                    '16 Camaro RS

Comment

from what I've been given to understand, the difference in felt recoil between shooting 38's and 357's is considerable .... having fired both in rifles and revolvers, that comes as no surprise ....
                      Jim
                      '11 Chevy Silverado 1500
                      '16 Camaro RS

Comment

just got off the phone talking to the local FFL dealer that we've dealt with for decades .... he has 2 new Bond derringers right now and some extra barrels .... to bad, I don't believe they will work for us .... we plan to visit his shop ASAP after we get home and get the ball rolling
                        Jim
                        '11 Chevy Silverado 1500
                        '16 Camaro RS

Comment

Originally posted by jebar View Post
                          that's pretty much msrp .... Good to see they aren't price gouging .... If i didn't have so much arthritis in my hands i'd be very interested in the 45/410 ....
                          45 acp
                          Clif and Millie
                          Mabank, TX (sorta)
                          2015 Chevrolet 3500 LTZ Allison/Duramax Dually GONE
                          2015 Heartland Cyclone CY3418 Toy Hauler GONE

Comment

I've looked at that caliber .... basically, it came down to a matter of $$$$ .... we already have all of the equipment and supplies we need to load 38/357's .... we have no dies or supplies to load 45ACP
                            Jim
                            '11 Chevy Silverado 1500
                            '16 Camaro RS

Comment

Originally posted by JEBar
                              as noted back on March 15th, I called the fellow who owns/runs the gun shop that we've dealt with since the late '70s ... during that conversation I learned that he is a Bond dealer .... when I told him that when we got back home from Texas on April 1st, I planned to come by his place and order a Bond Rowdy with a 3" barrel chambered for 38/357, he said no problem .... a few minutes ago he called me back and said he was in the process of putting one in his vault to hold for us until we get back .. .. we now plan to drive over to his shop and pick it up April 2nd ..
                              Just remember, pics or it never happened. Can't wait to see it!
                              2010 Gulfstream Gulfbreeze 26QBS
                              2012 Dodge Ram 3500 DRW 4X4

Comment

Working...
                              X