No announcement yet.

Bond Arms Factory Tour

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

as noted back on March 15th, I called the fellow who owns/runs the gun shop that we've dealt with since the late '70s ... during that conversation I learned that he is a Bond dealer .... I told him that when we got back home from Texas on April 1st, I planned to come by his place and order a Bond Rowdy with a 3" barrel chambered for 38/357, he said no problem .... a few minutes ago he called me back and said he was in the process of putting one in his vault to hold for us until we get back .. .. we now plan to drive over to his shop and pick it up April 2nd ..
    You do not have permission to view this gallery.
    This gallery has 1 photos.
    Last edited by JEBar; 03-24-2021, 01:28 AM.
    Jim
    '06 SunnyBrook Titan 34BWKS
    '07 Freightliner Sportchassis
    '11 Chevy Silverado 1500
    '16 Camaro RS

Comment

Now that's service..
      Clif and Millie
      Mabank, TX (sorta)
      2015 Chevrolet 3500 LTZ Allison/Duramax Dually GONE
      2015 Heartland Cyclone CY3418 Toy Hauler GONE

Comment

Originally posted by avvidclif View Post
        Now that's service..
        every firearm I've purchased since moving from NC's mountains to our current home area back in the early 70's has been purchased from Jim's Gun Shop ===> http://jimsgunshopnc.com/index.html .... that includes all of them for us and for our kids ..... haven't sat down and figured out how many that comes to but its a bunch ..... if you checked the link you will see that he ain't much for technology but he knows his business
        Jim
        '11 Chevy Silverado 1500
        '16 Camaro RS

Comment

its my understanding that Bond is developing a derringer dedicated to 22 rimfire .... it will be built to allow for different length barrels but not for centerfire barrels .... if/when they bring it to production and if they offer it at a price range like their Rowdy, I'd certainly give it serious consideration
          Jim
          '11 Chevy Silverado 1500
          '16 Camaro RS

Comment

I have a NAA 22 Mag with the folding stock that I carry in my pocket. Hard to get much smaller. It is a newer model
            with the cylinder lock which is the firing pin resting in a slot in the cylinder between 2 rounds and keeps it from rotating
            and insures the firing pin is not resting on a shell. You can see it if you look closely.

NAA 22 mag.jpg
            Clif and Millie
            Mabank, TX (sorta)

Comment

interesting .... first time I've seen one like it
              Jim
              '11 Chevy Silverado 1500
              '16 Camaro RS

Comment

My hand and a ruler for size, The piece on the grip is a clip for your pocket, belt, or waistband, it can be moved to either side. It's setup for my RF pocket on my jeans.When clipped in your pocket some of the black grip shows but no stainless, if you didn't know what it was you just wouldn't guess what it really is. Looks more like a big knife.. The button below the clip releases the handle to open and lock in place. I forget most of the time I have it Loaded weight is 7.9 oz. Tried it for accuracy, lets just say it shoots minute of pie plate at 21 yds.

IMG_3646 (Medium).jpeg
                Clif and Millie
                Mabank, TX (sorta)

Comment

Originally posted by avvidclif View Post
                  Tried it for accuracy, lets just say it shoots minute of pie plate at 21 yds.
                  that'll do
                  Jim
                  '11 Chevy Silverado 1500
                  '16 Camaro RS

Comment

one of the unique things about Bond derringers is barrels for all 16 calibers they offer can be easily switched from one grip to another .... the 38/357 ammo for the one we have purchased takes small pistol primers .... my plan is to purchase a second barrel chambered for 44 Spl which takes large pistol primers .... during times when primers tend to be scarce, it would be handy to be able to use both sizes
                    Jim
                    '11 Chevy Silverado 1500
                    '16 Camaro RS

Comment

must say I continue to be impressed with Bond Arms .... I checked a few websites of their major dealers and none listed having a 3" 44 spl barrel set in stock .... called the fellow who conducted our tour and asked him for a recommendation .... he was at home sick with bronchitis, would do some checking and call me back .... when he called back I learned that they have no uncommitted barrels at the factory .... in fact, orders for them coming in today will not be shipped for 17 weeks .... he found that yesterday afternoon they shipped two to a dealer in Arkansas so he called them .... their shipment is scheduled to arrive on Saturday .... he reserved on in our name and arranged for one of their folks to call us and then called us to let us know .... during this time we were out in our truck .... withing minutes Maureen was on the phone with a fellow at Buck Snort Outfitters giving him billing and shipping info .... it will leave their place on Monday and should arrive at our place on Wednesday or Thursday .... with us due back home Thursday afternoon and to pickup the derringer on Friday, it couldn't have worked out any better
                      Jim
                      '11 Chevy Silverado 1500
                      '16 Camaro RS

Comment

in response to a question about why purchase a 44 Spec barrel .... the biggest reason is the current primer shortage .... the derringer's OEM barrels will be chambered for 38/357 which takes small pistol primers .... much of the handgun ammo we load requires small pistol primers .... we already light load 44 Mag ammo which requires large pistol primers .... we have a pretty good supply of large pistol primers so by shooting 44's in the derringer, we take some stress off of our small pistol primer supply .... on neat feature of a Bond 3" barrel is the chamber section is 2 1/2" long .... the maximum overall SAAMI length of a 44 Spec cartridge is 1.615" .... the maximum overall SAAMI length of a 44 Magnum cartridge is 1.610" .... no mistake, the SAAMI spec for a 44 Spec is .005" LONGER that that of a 44 Mag .... both easily fit into a Bond 3" barrel .... that said, it isn't designed to handle the explosive pressure of a 44 Mag
                        Jim
                        '11 Chevy Silverado 1500
                        '16 Camaro RS

Comment

arthritic hands makes it painful for me to fire a full power 44 Mag load in our Ruger Red Hawk .... a good while back we worked up a very light load which we mark by coloring their primers red .... we have a thousand or so loaded and ready for use .... I'm actually looking forward to firing them in a derringer .... the ones with regular silver primers are full power, hunting level 44 Mag loads ....
                          Jim
                          '11 Chevy Silverado 1500
                          '16 Camaro RS

Comment

once small pistol primers return to store shelves, we plan to light load Rose Distribution Zero Brand 110 gr JHP for our Bond derringer .... with a thousand on hand, they should last for a good while ..
                            Jim
                            '11 Chevy Silverado 1500
                            '16 Camaro RS

Comment

got word today that the 3" 44 spec barrel should arrive at our home on Thursday .... that is the same day we are due to get there ... per Hannibal, "I love it when a plan comes together."
                              Jim
                              '11 Chevy Silverado 1500
                              '16 Camaro RS

Comment

we arrived back home from Texas just before 3PM .... by 4PM we had driven to our local FFL dealer and picked up our new Rowdy .... handling a couple during our tour of the factory was impressive .... being able to take some time and spend with one is much more impressive .... the 44 special barrel that we ordered also arrived today, the picture below shows the difference in the sizes of the 38 and 44 barrels .... no clue when we will be able to take it out for some range time .... until then, plenty of dry firing will hopefully help break-in the action and get us used to the feel of working it
                                Last edited by JEBar; 04-02-2021, 04:02 AM.
                                Jim
                                '11 Chevy Silverado 1500
                                '16 Camaro RS

Comment

Working...
                                X