No announcement yet.

Bond Arms Factory Tour

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

still haven't fired a shot but I have taken it apart several times .... I've switched barrels and grips several times .... I'm impressed with the barrel tolerances, they are tight and precision fit .... the various actions are growing smoother and smoother .... I suspect that will continue until the parts are completely broken in .... I've learned some interesting and unexpected things by reading the manual .... the felt recoil response will differ from barrel to barrel ..... the recoil from the bottom barrel is pretty much straight back .... the recoil from firing the top barrel results in considerably more barrel jump .... because of this there is an advantage to firing the bottom barrel first .... that being it makes it easier/quicker to get lined up for a followup shot .... with my arthritic right hand, I tend to believe the black rubber may be the best for me .... hopefully the rubber will absorb some of the recoil .... the large rosewood grips are really nice .... they provide a much firmer grip which has to help with recoil and sighting ....they provide a much firmer grip which has to help with recoil and sighting ... the negative thing is they increase the length the trigger finger must reach trigger .... the smaller red wood grips are nice, I really don't know what to expect from them .... the manual points out it is a close range firearm .... my current inclination is to work with it as a ''point and shooter" .... what I'm really looking forward to learning is how much difference there is between the impact point of each barrel at the ranges we will shoot ... that will come in time
    You do not have permission to view this gallery.
    This gallery has 6 photos.
    Last edited by JEBar; 04-02-2021, 07:24 PM.
    Jim
    '06 SunnyBrook Titan 34BWKS
    '07 Freightliner Sportchassis
    '11 Chevy Silverado 1500
    '16 Camaro RS

Comment

You might see if Hogue makes some grips for it. Their rubber grips are soft and nice, finger grooves too.
      Clif and Millie
      Mabank, TX (sorta)
      2015 Chevrolet 3500 LTZ Allison/Duramax Dually GONE
      2015 Heartland Cyclone CY3418 Toy Hauler GONE

Comment

suggestion appreciated ..... after she shoots and if she shows a need, I'll most certainly keep that in mind
        Jim
        '11 Chevy Silverado 1500
        '16 Camaro RS

Comment

with continued manipulation our Roughneck's action continues to smooth out .... a couple of small drops of Ballistol seems to have helped.... Bond says its trigger pull is 7 lbs and I believe it .... by design its trigger pull isn't straight back .... its down and back .... that takes some getting used to .... removing the trigger guard involves removing a single screw .... with it removed, the trigger is much easier to pull .... that said, I like the trigger guard and will keep it in place .... the trigger has almost no creep .... we've arranged to spend some time on a friend's range tomorrow afternoon .... while I'm going prepared to fire 100 44's, I may fire a single round and find I can't handle the recoil .... we are also taking along a hundred 38's .... best case would be to enjoy firing all of them ..
          Last edited by JEBar; 04-04-2021, 01:08 AM.
          Jim
          '11 Chevy Silverado 1500
          '16 Camaro RS

Comment

Take about 3 Ibuprofen beforehand. Cuts down on soreness.
            Clif and Millie
            Mabank, TX (sorta)

Comment

if I was even considering firing anywhere near a full power 44 Spl or 357 Mag load, I'd do just that ..... I'm taking the light load 38's that Maureen fires in her J-Frame and the light 44 Spl's that I now fire in our Redhawk .... the first round I fire that ain't comfortable will be the last for the day and I'll go back to the press to dumb now the loads even more
              Jim
              '11 Chevy Silverado 1500
              '16 Camaro RS

Comment

I'm sure you know it but be careful with reduced loads. Don't go below the min posted in a good manual. Especially with the fast burning powders like Bullseye.
                Clif and Millie
                Mabank, TX (sorta)

Comment

point well taken .... we are fortunate to have a good supply of Unique on hand and have found it works well with reduced loads
                  Jim
                  '11 Chevy Silverado 1500
                  '16 Camaro RS

Comment

That it does, slow burning but a tad dirty. Especially with short barrel. Little flakes left over. GRIN. You got it have fun.
                    Clif and Millie
                    Mabank, TX (sorta)

Comment

the good news is, with our Roughneck, there isn't much to clean
                      Jim
                      '11 Chevy Silverado 1500
                      '16 Camaro RS

Comment

1.5" maybe?? Grin
                        Clif and Millie
                        Mabank, TX (sorta)

Comment

today we fired our Roughneck derringer for the first time .... it was fun shooting light 38's .... NO unpleasant recoil, its performance was flawless ..... I could literally shoot it for hours as it would be with a 22LR .... my plan is to develop point and shoot skills (more or less) from the hip .... switching to the 44 Spec barrels proved to be frustrating .... the barrels would not lock into place so no 44's were fired .... after working with it a good bit, the problem seems to be the depth of the milling of the space where the case rim seats into the chamber .... it doesn't allow the the cartridge to seat fully into the chamber so that its flush .... the tiny part sticking out keeps the barrels from locking into place
                          You do not have permission to view this gallery.
                          This gallery has 1 photos.
                          Jim
                          '11 Chevy Silverado 1500
                          '16 Camaro RS

Comment

no need to call the factory .. .. the problem has to be that 44 Mag cases are 1.285" long and 44 Special cases are 1.160" long .... the difference of 0.125" is probably the amount of the case sticking out of the cylinder that prevents the barrels from locking into place .... I don't have any 44 Special cases to load and test this theory but I can cut down some 44 Mag cases and test them .... no clue when I'll be able to test this theory
                            Jim
                            '11 Chevy Silverado 1500
                            '16 Camaro RS

Comment

Same as 357 vs 38. Just a tad longer. 44 Mag is a tad longer than 44, can't chamber mag in special barrel. Drag out the case trimmer and shorten them up. Bad part is you have to unload them first. Don't you have a 44 Mag around there to help with that chore?
                              Clif and Millie
                              Mabank, TX (sorta)

Comment

Originally posted by avvidclif View Post
                                Don't you have a 44 Mag around there to help with that chore?
                                have 2 .... a Henry rifle and Ruger Redhawk .... a bit of an oddity, the specs loading the same bullet :

44 Special's OAL is 1.615" and its case is 1.160"

44 Mag's OAL is SHORTER at 1.610" but its case longer at 1.285"

Jim
                                '11 Chevy Silverado 1500
                                '16 Camaro RS

Comment

Working...
                                X