Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• JEBar
    replied
    talk about a beautiful sight .... at one time such things were common but any more not so much ....

1,000 shiny, new Starline 44 Special brass

You do not have permission to view this gallery.
    This gallery has 1 photos.

Leave a comment:

• JEBar
    replied
    a little while ago we received an email from UPS saying our shipment of 1,000 44 Special cases from Starline should be delivered tomorrow .... I can only wish they had of arrived a week ago .... as noted above, at the time we only had 100 on hand and they are all loaded to take with us when we head for South Dakota Friday morning .... it sure would have been nice to have the time to load several hundred more to take with us

Leave a comment:

• JEBar
    replied
    completed our first 102 round batch of 44 Special ammo for use in our Bond Roughneck derringer .... 101 rounds shown below .... couldn't stand it, had to touch one off as a test .... happy to say it passed the test in that when I pulled the trigger, it went boom, and didn't cause the slightest discomfort to my arthritic right hand .... the loads consisted with a mix of 240 gr Nosler JHP and JSP bullets pushed by 4 gr of Bullseye ignited by CCI Large Pistol Magnum Primers .... as a side note, I just put the finishing touch on our 44 Specials .... we now put together 3 different 44 caliber loads .... to ensure easy recognition we color code the primers .... we leave the primers of our 44 Mag, full power hunting loads silver (picture 1) .... Red is the color we paint the primers of our 44 Mag target loads fired from our Ruger Redhawks (picture 2) .... Blue signifies the 44 Special loads fired in our Bond derringer (picture 3)
    You do not have permission to view this gallery.
    This gallery has 3 photos.

Leave a comment:

• JEBar
    replied
    I just got an email that an order I placed a couple of days ago for 1,000 shiny, new 44 Special brass with Starline has been shipped and is scheduled to arrive on the 10th .... that sure works out well because we are leaving on the 11th to spend the summer in South Dakota .... that should be more than enough brass to keep our Bond derringer well supplied from now on ..

Leave a comment:

• JEBar
    replied
    Originally posted by JEBar View Post
    all 6 fired instantly with sold primer strikes .... I was very surprised to see a lead buildup on the rifling after so few shots
    I just finished giving our Roughneck thorough cleaning after firing the 30 rounds (15 through each barrel) a few days ago .... with leading mentioned above after only 6 shots, I anticipated finding more lead buildup .... I'm delighted to say, there wasn't any ... none at all .... with both the first 6 and the last 30 all coming out of the same box, having the same powder, and the same wadcutter cast bullets, I have no clue as to why .. :?: .. the first Ballistol soaked patch run through each 6" barrel came out black and I do mean black .... a couple more were all that we needed to leave the inside of the barrels as shiny as new ... looking forward to taking it back out again soon

Leave a comment:

• JEBar
    replied
    earlier this afternoon I had the opportunity to run about 30 rounds of "vintage" 38 special wad cutters through our Roughneck .... in doing so, I learned a few things very quickly .... one example: shooting at an 8" paper plate, even at 5 yards firing from the hip, I have no clue where they were hitting .... in short, I need a much larger backstop ..... secondly, our Roughneck doesn't like wadcutters, they tumbled even at ranges of 4 or 5' ..... I loaded this ammo 40 or so years ago, the primer hit on every round was sold and every round fired .... I found the recoil to be manageable, causing no issues with arthritic hand joints ..

Leave a comment:

• JEBar
    replied
    return info received .... package taken to UPS

Leave a comment:

• JEBar
    replied
    Joe ...

thanks or the info ... makes sense

Leave a comment:

• Joezilla
    replied
    I clean mine just as I do my other firearms. I have the Rustic Ranger 45lc/.410 with a 4" barrel. I also have the 9mm in 3" and the .38/.357 in 3.5" barrels. At some point I am going to get the 3" or 2.5" in .45acp, just haven't done it yet. It is a neat little firearm. Mine also came with the BAD driving holster. It is a cross draw type that simply Velcro's over your belt and is not bothered by seatbelts. I sometimes wear it when traveling into big cities as it is much easier to access than the 9mm Glock 48 on my right side buttock.

Enjoy yours.

Joe

Leave a comment:

• JEBar
    replied
    question or those who own Bond derringers .... do you clean yours as often and in the same manner as you would other types of firearms .. :?: ..

Leave a comment:

• JEBar
    replied
    as is usual for us, our absolute and final plans have a way of changing .... thankfully, we shouldn't need to cut down any 44 mag cases .... with 100 once fired brass in hand and 300 more new Nosler blem cases on the way, we shouldn't need any more for many moons to come

Leave a comment:

• JEBar
    replied
    we just got back from visiting friends who have a home where we can shoot in the back yard .... 48 degrees with a light rain .... not having a chance to life fire our Roughneck since getting it back from Bond, I wanted to run a few 38 wadcutter hand loads through it .... the good news is, all 6 fired instantly with sold primer strikes .... I was shooting from the hip at a leaf about 10 yards away laying on a slight bank .... the first shot was 2 feet or so low .... none hit it but all 5 of the rest were within a few inches of the leaf .... another positive thing is the recoil didn't bother my hand .... on the not so good side, yes I know its normal but the upper and lower barrels have very different impact points .... that's going to take some getting used to .... lastly, I was very surprised to see a lead buildup on the rifling after so few shots .... I do plan to thoroughly clean the barrels and it reinforces my decision to, after burning through the hundred plus cast bullets we have loaded, we will only be firing jacketed bullets

Leave a comment:

• JEBar
    replied
    100 once fired 44 spl brass arrived from East Coast Reloading Supplies .... as advertised, all cases were cleaned with spent primers still in place .... per enclosed shipping data they paid the USPS for 2 day shipping :

Mailing Date: 5/6/2021
    Est. Delivery: 2 days
    Service: Priority Mail (R)

the shipment arrived on the 10th .... with the USPS I guess that's about as close as one can expect

Leave a comment:

• JEBar
    replied
    my plan was to cut down a hundred 44 Mag cases to 44 Spec length and light load them for use in our Roughneck .... doing so with the equipment we have requires considerable time ....in these times I felt lucky in coming across a source for semi-favorably priced once fired 44 Spec cases and have 100 on the way .... once they get here I hope to get them loaded and ready to fire

Leave a comment:

• JEBar
    replied
    the more I handle it, the more convinced I am that the OEM "Hammer Torsion Spring" was faulty to begin with .... my wife couldn't cock it using both thumbs nor could she pull the trigger .... now she can cock it with a single thumb and has no trouble pulling the trigger .... its trigger and cocking functions are both much smoother and do not require anywhere near as much effort .... I have a call into Bond to speak with the fellow who did the repair .... he's not there now, they are supposed to have him call me .... all in all, that's not very important .... haven't fired it yet but have no doubt that when I pull the trigger it will go boom

Leave a comment:

Working...
X