Campgrounds in Arcadia Flrorida??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Campgrounds in Arcadia Flrorida??

We are staying at the Riverside Campground this season. While it has a mailing address of Arcadia, it is really much, much closer to Port Charlotte. I was wondering if there are any RV parks in Arcadia that anyone would recommend. We are going to take in the rodeo and the MM Tea Room, so we will be in the area in the near future.

I know there are some restrictions in some campgrounds. We are over 55 years old and have two dogs (mini schnauzer and wheaten terrier - not killer breeds).

Any suggestions? We are happy here but we are always looking for that perfect RV park.

As the Crow Fly's

Don't know if you checked out where we are but if you leave your campground and take a right headed north, then a right onto Rt-761, follow that to Rt-17 and head south - Live Oak is a mile south on right side of 17.
    It is a over 55 RV resort with mixed sites. (RV, park models). We stayed here for two months last year and realized if we were going to spend longer (4 - months) we should sign up for 6 & 6 which dramatically lowered our cost even with us paying for our electricity. The site we are on is ours, no one else uses it. We are even allowed to have shed's on the site so that we can leave bikes, washer/dryer, or anything else we want in it all season long. We selected a lot without a shed because I didn't want more stuff.
    Park is family owned, lots of rules that keep the place well run, neat, clean.
    The negatives is we don't have cable, need satellite and WiFi through the campground costs $40 per month. We are near a tower so our wifi reception isn't bad at all.
    Water is typical Florida well water, hard with a chlorine smell, I have double household filters and a water softener but it is very clear.

Great RV Park Live Oak RV Resort and Golf Course
    Westwind
    Rhode Island
    2015 GMC Sierra 3500 D/A CC, Short Bed, Iridium
    2008 GMC D/A Xtended Cab, Short Bed, Stealth Grey
    Hensley TrailSaver BD3 Hitch
    2012 Heartland Bighorn 3070TL
    2002 Sunnybrook, 26FK (sold but not Forgotten)
    Hensley Arrow (Swapped for a BD3)
    sigpic

Comment

Live Oak Has Possibilities - Thanks

That is really, really reasonable rent for that far south in Florida.

I guess my satellite dish plus the bat wing on the trailer would cover our television needs.

I saw something about annual renters needing to put their phone lines underground. If a land line for phone is available, then a land line for the internet is probably also available, along with cable television, all from the same provider.

There are a lot of rules. But at least I did not see one where they had to approve of a person's RV before you could stay. But, there is a somewhat anti pet/dog flavor to their rules.

Since we have two dogs we look for pet friendly parks. If we had no dogs then we would actually look for parks that do not allow pets at all. Some of the "No Pets Allowed" parks are great deals.

Comment

Rules & Sites

Dogs, everyone here has one, well not everyone but almost. From Labs to tiny ones, last year they even had a Dog day parade, agility contest, beauty contest and I'm sure I forgot something.
        Sites 3 month or less your on Bermuda grass (thick) with a cement pad, 6 & 6 can be that way, we lucked out and found a site with a cement driveway, walkway and extended patio. A park model unit was on it until about 9 years ago. Many of the residents have boats that they leave in storage for fishing while here.
        Like I said no cable, everyone has a dish, some do have computer through the phone company (Can't remember who).
        With 6 & 6 you are able to switch to a different site if you like it better before a new person to the park could reserve it.
        The only two negatives is the beeping of the Walmart Warehouse forklifts loading the trucks at night - We sleep right through it with the AC going and
        even when it isn't we don't hear it anymore.
        The water is very hard, our water softener helps but I have to recharge it every two to three weeks.
        Can't beat the price.
        Westwind
        Rhode Island
        sigpic

Comment

Actually the condition, age, and length are all conditions of staying there as the rules state. Easy to miss.
          David & Bonnie (2 new kitties, one male, one female)
          2004 Sunnybrook Titan 31 BWKS w/bed slide
          Hijacker 5th Wheel Hitch 16K with 21K bars
          5th AIRBORNE Pinbox Roto Choks
          Custom 2" pinbox receiver Bike Rack
          Externabond Roof Seams
          Wet Bolt Kit
          7K Nev-R-Adjust Brakes

2004 Sliverado Dually D/A
          GM Racor primary filter, 98 Gal. Transfer tank
          Thanks to BC Jim for all his help

Comment

Reasons

We moved here because of the upkeep of the resort, friends had moved here, cost, and size of the lots. We were spending almost $1,000 a month when moving each month to a different campground from the East Coast to West Coast. We save about 1/3 staying here and extended our stay from 2 1/2 months to 4 months.
            Westwind
            Rhode Island
            sigpic

Comment

Right

The owner's do reserve the right to reject a RV in poor condition, that is there out. As you ride through the resort no trailer is in poor condition all are well cared for. Yards are neat, it's just a pleasant place to spend 4 months.
              Westwind
              Rhode Island
              sigpic

Comment

Riverside

What are the electric power rates for a six month stay?
                Daniel Piippo
                Dan & Cricket - ON THE ROAD,
                08 F-350, SD ,PSD, 4X4 DRW ,C/C LB,Tow Boss 4.30,
                5 Speed Auto, Valley Tow 20K Slider, Marquis 5.5KW Propane Vapor
                "11" FLTRU Road Glide Ultra, 2003 FXDL Dyna Low Rider. 08 Sunnybrook Titan 391SURV
                Retired,
                Elio reserved,All In, 100 Shares purchased

Comment

Water Hardness - Never Considered That

I will have to ask where the water comes from at Riverside. I did not notice anything unusual yet, but we have only been here since the first of the year. We camped elsewhere in Nov. and Dec.

I just changed my 3-month old water filter cartridge last week (regular old style charcoal filter, nothing fancy). I guess we will see how long it lasts. When the filter is really dirty my water pressure starts to drop off. We have a combo washer/dryer that we use for everything but bath towels and sheets. So we go through a little more water than most.

I never considered having to get a water softener. Are we talking about a traditional softener with pellets and regeneration cycles?

Comment

Info

Our electric bill for January was $72, W/D can go at least 2 times a day. Checking with other residents this seems to be an average bill. "Comfort" is the buzz word here and we were and are comfortable using AC, Elec. Heat and Elec. HW whenever we want. Rate's are set by Florida Power and Light and I pay them directly. All our electricity dealings are with them not the campground.
                    We used our electric fireplace for heat and it was a cold January for Florida.

The water softener is -

Portable RV Water Softener by Flow-Pur - RV-PRO 10,000; - PPL Motor Homes

It uses table salt and we notice a big difference but we are such big water users I think it needs recharging after about 2 weeks. The verdict is still out
                    on it I think the heavy water usage and very hard water condition pushes it to the max.
                    Last edited by Westwind; 02-15-2014, 01:55 AM.
                    Westwind
                    Rhode Island
                    sigpic

Comment

earlier today I spoke with a lady in our current CG who has been living here since July '13 while they are selling their home and building another .... she said her last power bill was $182 for one month ..:help:

Jim
                      Jim
                      '06 SunnyBrook Titan 34BWKS
                      '07 Freightliner Sportchassis
                      '11 Chevy Silverado 1500
                      '04 Sea Pro 180DC
                      '17 Elio reserved

Comment

Florida Power & Electric

There rates are suppose to be cheap compared to other parts of the US.
                        Westwind
                        Rhode Island
                        sigpic

Comment

Update on Riverside Water

I asked at the office about the water in Riverside RV Resort. It is city water, not well water. In fact, the water plant is probably no more than a half mile further east down the road (huge water complex and still building more on the site on SW CR 769).

We went to Arcadia (the town, not just the zip code) and had lunch at Mary Margaret's Tea and Biscuit. It was fine. They could make a lot more money if they got the food out of the kitchen a little faster, but I guess that is what comes with gracious dining (11 am to 4 pm only).

Other than this tea place, the rodeo and a CVS drug store, we did not find much around, except oranges. There seemed to be as many closed up businesses as there were open. Maybe we just didn't look hard enough.

They have a lot of antique stores, but some of the merchandise was borderline flea market quality. And what they did have was over priced.
                          Last edited by GlacierBayFiver; 02-18-2014, 02:30 PM.

Comment

Arcadia

Arcadia is one of those early Florida towns that appears to have gone through some real hard times. There doesn't seem to be any industry etc. to boost the local economy except tourists or snowbirds. It is an area that is not expensive to stay in when you look at the different RV resorts, of course everyone has their own idea of what expensive is.
                            I'm sure that one of the reasons the month rent is low where we are staying is that the Resort owners are not paying a water utility or sewer utility. Once that changes everything will be changing.
                            Last edited by Westwind; 02-21-2014, 07:40 PM.
                            Westwind
                            Rhode Island
                            sigpic

Comment

Working...
                            X