Home Monitor

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Home Monitor

About 7 or 8 years ago we bought a Sensaphone 400 unit to monitor the house while we are in Florida, it does power/temp/noise in the house and has a water sensor in the basement. Should one of the sensors go off it calls our cell phone and can call other numbers. I have it calling our cell phone and if need be I can bother my kids to handle a problem at the house. Because of the age of our unit we have to have a telephone landline for it to call us. I'm sure there are new models out there that can use WiFi etc.
    A few years ago during a blizzard the house lost power, it called us and let us know and had I not shut the alarm mode off via the phone it would have continued to call me and let me know the status of the house (Power/temps). I was able to call the house instead and check on the temps until the power came back on, fortunately in 24 hrs. or so.
    We had new flooring put in and I had to disconnect it, today I reconnected the wiring and plugged it back in. Even though the batterys were out of it and no electrical power it's memory kept all the info and I didn't have to reprogram it.
    It's a product I highly recommend if you want your house monitored 24/7, even if you have someone checking your house I know someone who's house was checked on a Friday and after the furnace being out for 48 hours was dealing with frozen/burst pipes when they checked on Sunday night, water was pouring all over.
    It's not cheap but nothing is these days, I think Smarthome carries them for about $350, I got it on sale for around $312, but I would check Amazon and google it to see if you can get a good price on it.
    Last edited by Westwind; 11-30-2016, 09:30 PM.
    Westwind
    Rhode Island
    2015 GMC Sierra 3500 D/A CC, Short Bed, Iridium
    2008 GMC D/A Xtended Cab, Short Bed, Stealth Grey
    Hensley TrailSaver BD3 Hitch
    2012 Heartland Bighorn 3070TL
    2002 Sunnybrook, 26FK (sold but not Forgotten)
    Hensley Arrow (Swapped for a BD3)
    sigpic

We also have a Sensafone 400 and am very pleased with it. We have had it for about 4-5 years and it has called a couple times with temp problems. Although one of those problems was a false alarm when I had set the 'alarm' temp too close to the temp I set the thermostat.

A couple years ago I got some security video cameras from Foscam (model F18910W). I have not looked and don't know if they still make these models. These video cameras are upgraded so often with new features and better video that it is hard to keep track. Anyway, when we are out of town, we set them to look at a digital clock with internal and external temps, LR, BR, out the window (to look at the snow), and basement looking at the furnace. I can program them to send me an e-mail when they detect motion, but I got too many false alarms with the sun and shadows.

I can log into the cameras through the web on my laptop or cell phone. Last year we were on a cruise in the middle of the ocean between islands. On the ship, Internet is expensive (but reasonable), but ship-to-shore phone calls are obscenely expensive ($8-9/min). I logged into the cameras from my laptop and saw that the outside temp was near zero and the in-house temp was a few degrees lower than it should have been and falling. When I looked at the camera facing the furnace, I saw that the alarm light was lit indicating the furnace had tripped out. I sent a quick e-mail to my son asking him to get up to the house to reset the furnace. A half hour later, he reset it and the temps in the house were going back up. The Sensafone had not detected the problem yet since the house temp had not fallen below the warning temp I programmed it for.

Comment

Before we left I disconnected my home alarm system, cancelled the contract and quit the candy-a$$ Neighborhood Watch.

I took down my Rebel flag (which you can’t buy on e-bay any more) and peeled the NRA sticker off the front door.

I bought two Pakistani flags and put one at each corner of the front yard. Then I purchased the black flag of ISIS (which you CAN buy on e-bay) and put it in the CENTER of the yard.

Now, the local police, sheriff, FBI, CIA, NSA, Homeland Security, Secret Service and other agencies are all watching the house 24/7.
      Jim & Delores
      2005 30RKFS
      2005 2500HD D/A 4WD ext cab long box
      Jordan Ultima

INEPTOCRACY: a system of government where the least capable to lead are elected by the least capable of producing, and where the members of society least likely to sustain themselves or succeed, are rewarded with goods and services paid for by the confiscated wealth of a diminishing number of producers.

Comment

Working...
      X