Question to Class C owners

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question to Class C owners

I'll try and explain things as clearly as Im possibly able to.

Some of you who have read my post over the years know my son races motocross almost year round. As his bikes get bigger we run into odd's and in's that we are finding don't always work with the smaller garage TT we have. We are not at least at this point willing to move unto a larger 5th wheel version b/c we would have to upgrade trucks as well. So thinking outside the box we have thought about looking at getting a used Class C.

We happened to find such a unit that has lower miles and is in pretty good condition inside. Outside needs a good cleaning. The owner has kept a pretty good record of maintenance and had the carpet replaced last year as well as a new awning. Its in the budget we were looking for as well... under 20,000.

We would primarily use it for racing only. This would allow us to use our other TT for camping only. Yes we would have 2 units. But It would still cost less then upgrading both truck and RV to give us the same benefit. The other big plus is David would actually allow me to drive the Class C unit vs not letting me drive the TT and truck.

What I need from you guys as a form is your option. I know Im going to hear a lot of why do you need two units. We don't actually need either, we want them... haha. We feel it would make the racing trips easier. less brake down and set up. We would also tow our already owned cargo trailer behind to store bikes and tools and all the rest of the stuff needed for racing.

We plan on taking longer weekend trips this summer season with racing that may put us on the road for 8 hrs at a time. Knowing thats a lot of hrs for one person to put in our hopes are that I can pitch in with driving the first shift and take some stress off David.

Also What are some key pointers we need to know about going from a TT to a Class C.
    :thanks:
    08 sunny brook sunset creek 341SRD -sold after several years of amazing memories
    2014 Open Range 397fbs. For the next stage of camping.
    2008 Ford F-450 King Ranch.
    hoping to make memories that last a lifetime, and shared over the campfire.

We had much less room in our "C".
    You will be losing storage space.
    But you might have a built in Genset that would
    make it nice if you park in another school lot.

Is the trailer you are towing enclosed?
    Engine size should also be considered.
    Some of these "C"s are overloaded before you even get started out.
    I bet you have seen them going down the road with the rear almost dragging the ground.
    Lee & Mamie http://www.youtube.com/v/4FrGxO2Fn_Msigpic
    Buy American, The Job You Save May Be Your Own
    04 - 2500 Chevy CC Silverado - D/A
    07 - Tahoe LTZ w/tow package,
    16K Pullrite Super Slide
    2006 Excel 30RSO
    All Made In the U.S.A.

Comment

Sara ...

your reasoning seems sound to me .... my only concern where older motorhomes are involved is its mechanical condition .... the first thing I'd want a very thorough evaluation from a mechanic I trust .... as you know, there are many expensive components in a vehicle which can fail and turn a good buy into a not so good one .... with an older unit, it may pay to figure tire, engine service and roof concerns into your probable expenditures

Jim
      Jim
      '06 SunnyBrook Titan 34BWKS
      '07 Freightliner Sportchassis
      '11 Chevy Silverado 1500
      '04 Sea Pro 180DC
      '17 Elio reserved

Comment

Proceed with caution. I put more stock in the age than the mileage. I had a old Winnebago class A and even though it only had less than 25k on it, it was always needing something. Tune up, carb work, auto choke work. Hoses, belts.

Not trying to dissuade you but there is nothing worse than a weekend ruined with a breakdown.
        2011 Jayco Eagle 351RLTS, MorRyde hitchpin
        06 F350 Lariat PSD CC,LB,SRW, 3.73, EGR delete kit,Timbrens
        16K DrawTite, LineX
        His and Hers Ocean Kayaks, TST TPMS
        Elle and BJ

In the past:
        97 27RKFS SB
        04 30RKFS SB Titan

"Don't let yesterday take up to much of your today." Will Rogers

Comment

I fully understand about checking out and older unit. Were lucky to have several family members that are mechanics so we would most def have it looked at with a fine comb (or two). Our current truck is also an older truck but we do keep an eye on all those things on it too and replace them as they look like they may be wearing.

The unit is a coachman lephracon Im spelling that wrong bc thats what I do but I know very little about those or any class C issues. So feel free to tell me what you do know about them.
          08 sunny brook sunset creek 341SRD -sold after several years of amazing memories

Comment

I don't think there are that many class "C" people here. You might rephrase your question and post it on some other websites and see what shakes out. Is the "C" your looking at a diesel or gas? Don't know how old the one your looking at is but if its older, and gas I would be worried about the engine. I have heard in older ones that the motors only last for 40 to 60 thousand before they need to be replaced. You would be better finding a Ford class "C" forum and see what you can find. It would seem to me that you are still going to be driving a truck and pulling a trailer so I guess I don't see much difference between what you have now other than length. Storage issues are another thing.

David
            David & Bonnie (2 new kitties, one male, one female)
            2004 Sunnybrook Titan 31 BWKS w/bed slide
            Hijacker 5th Wheel Hitch 16K with 21K bars
            5th AIRBORNE Pinbox Roto Choks
            Custom 2" pinbox receiver Bike Rack
            Externabond Roof Seams
            Wet Bolt Kit
            7K Nev-R-Adjust Brakes

2004 Sliverado Dually D/A
            GM Racor primary filter, 98 Gal. Transfer tank
            Thanks to BC Jim for all his help

Comment

The only thing that occurs to me is that if this is a temporary thing until you move up to a larger fiver, you might just want to get an enclosed utility trailer and pull it with your other truck. I know both of you would have to drive to races and that might not work well, but if its only temporary. Just a thought.

Comment

A wise man once told me... "Unless you are using a motorhome consistently... They are a very high cost unit in regards to maintenance and upkeep"

Not to mention the fact that even the slightest rattle or buzz inside the cab of my truck drives me NUTS... I think I'd go completely bonkers driving a motorhome. Or... I'd spend 87 hours packing to try to silence everything.

Will be interested to read the opinions of those with experience....
                Jeff, Julie, Cameron, & Taylor Lockhart - Wauconda, IL

2012 F-250 FX4 6.7 Powerstroke Diesel Lariat
                2011 Jayco 365BHS 5'er

"Cram-A-Lot Inn"
                sigpic

Visit our family online - www.thelockharts.com
                Find us / "friend" us on social websites - Facebook

Comment

Originally posted by AVid View Post
                  The only thing that occurs to me is that if this is a temporary thing until you move up to a larger fiver, you might just want to get an enclosed utility trailer and pull it with your other truck. I know both of you would have to drive to races and that might not work well, but if its only temporary. Just a thought.
                  We have that option already and it wont work, We have to have a place to stay for the weekend. Meaning sleeping and food prep. Moving up to a larger 5th wheel will not include a garage. If we upgrade were going to loose the garage all together.

Comment

Maybe trade the Sunset Creek for a TT type toy hauler that could be shorter than a 5th wheel. But then most of them the garage is also the living space which leads to problems at the track if major maintenance needs to be done especially over night maintenance. Nothing like having a dirty smelly bike in the middle of your bed room, that's the very reason we don't have one, Tina said No Way. Sleeping with the dogs is one thing but she is not sleeping with an ATV. Lol

With the class C be careful of maintenance and transmission problems as they are heavy and may not have been properly taken care of. A class C with an enclosed roughly 12 Ft trailer would take care of your needs but also adds expense. but that is way cheaper than a trailer and a truck.

Your F-350 you have listed should be able to handle a pretty large TT or medium sized 5th wheel?

Tough decisions.

Mike
                    04 Sunny Brook Sunset Creek

04/04 F350 Dually Lariate, 4x4, CC, LB, Auto, Firestone air bags, Bilstein shocks, custome on board air system
                    sigpic

Comment

I bought a very nice class A, low millage,only about 5 years old, most expensive vehicle ever owned replaced tires, brakes, and major work on a/c.
                      Never plan to have one again. It also had the auto lane changer at no additional cost [ just let a truck pass you on interstate and you will know what I am referring to.]
                      Ed & Maxine Thompson
                      Forest River Cottage
                      2015 Chevrolet 1500

Comment

Which a/c was it, in dash or the roof.
                        Auto lane changer huh?
                        Now that sounds intriguing.
                        16K Pullrite Super Slide
                        2006 Excel 30RSO
                        All Made In the U.S.A.

Comment

Originally posted by EDT View Post
                          It also had the auto lane changer at no additional cost [ just let a truck pass you on interstate and you will know what I am referring to.]
                          Originally posted by staggerlee View Post
                          Auto lane changer huh?
                          Now that sounds intriguing.

understood .... over the years I've driven several motorhomes with that feature .... its much like being hit broadside by an unexpected South Dakota wind gust

Jim
                          Jim
                          '06 SunnyBrook Titan 34BWKS
                          '07 Freightliner Sportchassis
                          '11 Chevy Silverado 1500
                          '04 Sea Pro 180DC
                          '17 Elio reserved

Comment

Ok, I'm on to ya now.
                            I always found its best to keep as much space between you, and a passing truck.
                            They seem to want to push you away, and then suck you in.
                            It is limited if you straddle the fog line.
                            But those winds going across Az. Nm. or Tx. even west Ok. can really get you.
                            Once stopped in Shamrock Tx. at those big silos on the east end of town to let the wind die down some.
                            It was just getting worse, so I said we are going for it.
                            After we got home the news said it had tipped over some big trucks.
                            16K Pullrite Super Slide
                            2006 Excel 30RSO
                            All Made In the U.S.A.

Comment

Working...
                            X