Pick out our next camper

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pick out our next camper

We just started camping this year, love it, but are already looking for something different. We are just researching right now (saving our money). We want to be happy with our next one and I’m hoping you can help us find one. We purchased a 1994 18’ Cobra Sunrise this spring from our friends. We knew it would be small for our family of 4 but it was VERY inexpensive and I knew where it came from. I also knew we could get our money back if we didn’t like camping or wanted to sell it. Well we all LOVE camping but the 2 kids (girl 10, boy 7) have to share the twin size table/bed or someone has to sleep on the floor. They aren’t complaining yet, but they are going to outgrow that bed really quick.

We walked around the local travel trailer lot and liked the layout of the Palomino Puma 19FS. http://www.palominorv.com/site/printviewertt.asp?page=puma&model=19-FS&series=TTrailers&modelid=3147. After researching a little on this forum, you guy’s didn’t think too highly of the Puma’s quality. Can you give some actual examples of poor quality.

So here is what I want in our next camper.
    Quality. I’m handy, but I don’t want it falling apart structurally.
    Layout similar to the Puma (full size, 2 twins, and a table/bed)
    ~4000-4500 lbs.
    21’-24’

We don’t need much. Our friends have the over-the-top 32’ with slideouts and they barely have enough TV to move it around. We just want a small-medium, well made camper that can sleep 2 adults and 2 kids comfortably. Any suggestions?
    Last edited by p8md; 06-25-2010, 03:29 AM.

Welcome! You are in for an amazing adventure....every time you hitch up! I honestly can't think of a better way to create priceless family memories than camping!

We have some friends that have this Jayco. Jayco has a wide variety of floor plans and are very well thought of. Friends have had ZERO problems with theirs!
    2002 Excursion V10
    2006 SunnyBrook Sunset Creek 298BH
    Reese Dual-Cam
    sigpic

Comment

how do you plan on using this camper?

how often will you go camping and how long will you stay once you get there?

Are you looking for new or used?

Do you want slide outs or would you rather avoid them?

Do you want a private sleeping area for you and your wife?

what are you towing with?

How far will you tow it?

What seasons do you want to use it in?

These guys around here are super helpful and have great knowledge in all things camping. The more details you give them the better they are able to help. I like all the smaller campers with the outside kitchens. Fun feature.
      08 sunny brook sunset creek 341SRD -sold after several years of amazing memories
      2014 Open Range 397fbs. For the next stage of camping.
      2008 Ford F-450 King Ranch.
      hoping to make memories that last a lifetime, and shared over the campfire.

Comment

Puma is one of the lines of campers we sell at our dealership .... as with all lines, they have both strong and weak points .... for folks whose plans for using their camper include towing over several years, I believe there are better units out there .... one example with a floorplan close to the one in your link, would be the Rockwood Mini Light 2501SS .... there are numerous others out there .... as Sara noted for a valid recommendation more info on your wants/needs would be helpful .... Tim's suggestion that you consider Jayco is a very good one and if you can find any of the Jayco models that meet your needs/wants they would be well worth looking at .... unfortunately, right now they don't offer much in the general area as showin in your link

Jim
        Jim
        '06 SunnyBrook Titan 34BWKS
        '07 Freightliner Sportchassis
        '11 Chevy Silverado 1500
        '16 Camaro RS

Comment

Not sure how to answer. It will be used for extended weekends. Mostly camping with friends. At campgrounds with electricity.

I expect to use it every 2-3 weeks and staying extended weekends. Maybe one trip a summer for a week.

Most likely used. They depreciate so bad.

I would rather avoid them due to extra weight and extra things to go wrong.

No, not necessary.

We are towing with a 2006 Chevy Trailblazer. 5400 lb towing capacity. Up to 750 lb tongue weight with WD.

How far will you tow it?
          Mostly local (20-30 miles away)

Spring, Summer, Fall. It will be winterized.

Comment

Have you considered a pop-up trailer?

They have lots of room and big beds.

Light enough for your Trailblazer.
            Russell
            '13 Excel Winslow 34IKE
            '16 GMC Sierra 3500HD
            Previous RV's: '03 MobileScout Titan 29DBS;
            '01 Sunnybrook 2708 SLE; '99 Coleman Utah

Comment

Originally posted by p8md View Post
              Not sure how to answer. It will be used for extended weekends. Mostly camping with friends. At campgrounds with electricity.

I expect to use it every 2-3 weeks and staying extended weekends. Maybe one trip a summer for a week.

Most likely used. They depreciate so bad.

I would rather avoid them due to extra weight and extra things to go wrong.

No, not necessary.

We are towing with a 2006 Chevy Trailblazer. 5400 lb towing capacity. Up to 750 lb tongue weight with WD.

How far will you tow it?
              Mostly local (20-30 miles away)

Spring, Summer, Fall. It will be winterized.

based upon the above info ... the Puma you are considering would be a viable option .... knowing Puma products, if you Eternabond the roof and use it as listed it ought to give reasonable service over time

Jim
              Jim
              '11 Chevy Silverado 1500
              '16 Camaro RS

Comment

Originally posted by drfife View Post
                Have you considered a pop-up trailer?

They have lots of room and big beds.

Light enough for your Trailblazer.
                Actually, I lied a little. My wife and I had a pop-up about 10 years ago when we were first married. We had it for a little while but I lost my job and the pop-up had to go. The pop-up was not for us. I hated popping it up and down 3-4 times just to camp. Plus, every time it rained your pillows and blankets were damp. I'll keep what I have before I get a pop-up.

Comment

Actually, I lied a little. My wife and I had a pop-up about 10 years ago when we were first married. We had it for a little while but I lost my job and the pop-up had to go. The pop-up was not for us. I hated popping it up and down 3-4 times just to camp. Plus, every time it rained your pillows and blankets were damp. I'll keep what I have before I get a pop-up.
                  Don't take this wrong, but until you get a bigger tow vehicle, you should stick with the trailer you have if you won't consider a pop-up.

My wife has an Envoy, the GM twin to your Trailblazer. It's a great vehicle, but it's not suited for towing.

We tow with a 3/4 ton Suburban. It's a great tow vehicle.
                  Russell
                  '13 Excel Winslow 34IKE
                  '16 GMC Sierra 3500HD
                  Previous RV's: '03 MobileScout Titan 29DBS;
                  '01 Sunnybrook 2708 SLE; '99 Coleman Utah

Comment

Originally posted by drfife View Post
                    My wife has an Envoy, the GM twin to your Trailblazer. It's a great vehicle, but it's not suited for towing.

afraid I'd have to differ a bit with you on this one .... we have a Trailblazer as well (OK we have one when its not in the shop ) and I do agree that for towing like you and I tow, it would not be even remotely suited as a tow vehicle .... that said, under the conditions he provided where most of his use will be towing within a 20 - 30 mile range and he will be towing a camper approximately 20% below his vehicle's tow rating it, may well serve his purpose

Jim
                    Jim
                    '11 Chevy Silverado 1500
                    '16 Camaro RS

Comment

While at a campground several weeks ago I saw a Crossroads slingshot being towed bay a trail blazer. Mind you this was not a used unit. But while talking to them they have had it a bout six months made several trips with it. They maintain that this Sling shot was designed for thee smaller and lighter units. I think that Keystone has the Bullet Saw this one being towed by an older jeep Grand Cherokee yesterday watch the big rigs pass it and could not see any sway issues
                      Frank and Janet Henn
                      Traveling with Hoover and Rainbow the Wonder dogs and Now with Sunshine the rescue Schnauzer
                      2008 CrossRoads Cruiser CF32BL Pushing a 2007 Dodge 2500 CDT with a six speed Automaticsigpic
                      out of Brandon Mississippi

Comment

We still have our Jayco and we love it. It is for sale but only because we want a little bigger unit. If you look in the classifieds, you can see that we are not really trying all that hard to sell it.
                        It has a queen slide at the rear and a single bunk over a double bunk up front. Table folds to a bed as does the sofa.
                        The downside is that it is a little snug when it rains for more than 5 minutes. Well, at least with a 5 and 8 year old......

A lot of trailer for the $$ and the build quality is outstanding.

Jayco is worth a long hard look if you ask me.

Best -
                        Steve
                        2004.5 Dodge 2500 Cummins. Was
                        2012 Ram 1500. Is

2008 FLHTPI (work)
                        2009 FLHT (play)

Comment

Jayco

A lot of trailer for the $$ and the build quality is outstanding.
                          Jayco is worth a long hard look if you ask me.
                          [/QUOTE]

Just look at what you are towing it with Steve,
                          He only has a Trailblazer.
                          It might pull it, but might take the fun out of the trip.
                          No insult meant.
                          Lee

2004.5 Dodge 2500 Cummins
                          2009 Jayco 213 JayFeather EXP
                          Lee & Mamie http://www.youtube.com/v/4FrGxO2Fn_Msigpic
                          Buy American, The Job You Save May Be Your Own
                          04 - 2500 Chevy CC Silverado - D/A
                          07 - Tahoe LTZ w/tow package,
                          16K Pullrite Super Slide
                          2006 Excel 30RSO
                          All Made In the U.S.A.

Comment

Originally posted by Crazy Otto View Post
                            We still have our Jayco and we love it. It is for sale but only because we want a little bigger unit. (My note: Steve has a 2009 Jayco 213 JayFeather EXP)

Best -
                            Steve

the 213 is a nice little camper .... it is well build and features vacuum bonded construction on all 6 sides which is fairly unique .... that really offers great bang from the buck ... with an unloaded vehicle weight around 4,285 pounds it fits neatly within the specs given

Jim
                            Jim
                            '11 Chevy Silverado 1500
                            '16 Camaro RS

Comment

Other than belonging to a club that co-owned a bunch of Class A & Class C Motorhomes, our first RV was a pretty big pop-up ('96 Coleman Shenandoah, 12' box w/ queen beds on each end). It had a very convenient cassette toilet/shower, tons of sleeping space, and was much easier to tow with a mid-size pickup or SUV. We actually didn't mind the setup and takedown that much - I guess the biggest issue was that we didn't have really easy access to it at roadside stops along the way.

The next step up was to a lite trailer with bunks, but our bed was an extra large dinette during the day and had to be set up as a bed each night. This is what got old for us, and it was harder to make that into a comfortable bed than the beds we had in the pop-up. It also required a step up in our tow vehicle (started with a Jeep Grand Cherokee V8 and ended up with a Ford F-150 pickup. The dry weight of this trailer was only 3500 pounds, but loaded for a trip it was maxxing out the JGC even with it's 6500 pound tow-rating.

Although the Puma is a nice layout and would give you a full time bed under the bunk, I'm pretty certain it would max out your Trailblazer. If you're going to go this route, you've really got to make sure you have an auxiliary transmission cooler and hopefully a transmission temperature gauge. It can be done, but you'll be putting a lot of extra wear-and-tear on your nice Trailblazer.

If it were me with what I know after our experiences, I'd look strongly at a trailer like the Trailmanor (Travel Trailers That Are Lightweight and Easy to Tow|Trailmanor Travel Trailers) if I was dead set on towing with the Trailblazer.

All the best!
                              Tim, wife Beverly, & two boys who love RV'ing
                              2005 Sunnybrook 30FKS Dual Cam HP
                              2002 Suburban K2500 8.1L 4.10 Prodigy

Comment

Working...
                              X